Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #21

We also bring drinking water, the water tank is for showers, washing dishes and boiling never drinking.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Denver, CO

Get a surplus RV pump. It is cheap convenient and food grade. A water bladder is also great for bringing a good quantity to yer rig at one time.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #23

I had a thought while replacing my water filter yesterday. My rig has a hose hookup with a check valve for filling the fresh tank, it also has an antifreeze suction hose and an outdoor faucet with a water hose connection.

So, bring container of water to camper, drop antifreeze hose in, hook outdoor faucet to the fresh water inlet. Pump sucks water from container, pumps through outdoor faucet, into fresh water tank.

Anyone tried that? I'm wanting to try it this weekend to see if I'm right.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I had a thought while replacing my water filter yesterday. My rig has a hose hookup with a check valve for filling the fresh tank, it also has an antifreeze suction hose and an outdoor faucet with a water hose connection.

So, bring container of water to camper, drop antifreeze hose in, hook outdoor faucet to the fresh water inlet. Pump sucks water from container, pumps through outdoor faucet, into fresh water tank.

In theory it could work, depending on how easy it is to get to the antifreeze inlet bypass valve. To access mine (where I can actually reach to turn it) I need to pull my daughter's bunk apart.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #25

That sucks, how hard is the bunk to take apart? Luckily my bypass valve, the hose, FW inlet and outdoor faucet are all behind my left side basement door.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #26

Quote:

That's a great idea. Might be slow but better than nothing. On our Sabre the FW inlet is in the basement cubby so getting a jug to pour in is impossible without a hose and funnel rig. I did buy a bladder from camping world and was going get a pony pump from princess auto but I might try your idea first before spending another $100
CBergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That sucks, how hard is the bunk to take apart? Luckily my bypass valve, the hose, FW inlet and outdoor faucet are all behind my left side basement door.

Not that hard really. Once you unmake the bed and take the mattress off I just need to pull 4 screws and then the panelling the use as the bottom of the bunk comes up.

But then after filling I'd need to remake the bed, which is a pain sometimes.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #28

I used to use a number of 5 gallon containers to fill the water tank on the trailers. I used air pressure to transfer the water. Now I have a 50 gallon hard tank and a 50 gallon collapsible water container. I use a 12 volt pony pump to transfer the water. You could use air pressure to transfer the water with both set ups but I find the pump is a lot faster. I have a 12 volt plug that goes into the trailer connection at the rear of the truck. It has a cigarette lighter socket in it for a plug from the pump. I did use alligator clamps to go to the 5er's batteries. For the air pressure way you need to install an air valve in the container and a down tube to the bottom of the water container. I also have the room in the back of the 8 ft box to do this. The hard tank sits in front of the 5th wheel and the collapsible one behind the 5th wheel when being used. We dry camp 95% of the time.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #29

modify the diverter valve set up

check out this modification that I did on mine. I hated that check valve in the fresh water fill. With what I have now I can either just pour right in, or siphone. 1 1/2" hose....awesome.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post436599

I just discovered that the outside faucet works like dogsh8t. It's light, but it's cheap. After spending an hour trying to figure out a leak(which didn't solve the water pressure issue, I've decided that those lines are just too darn small. That's what made me log in...looking for ideas, and I came across this thread.

If you make the modifications like I did, on the fresh water fill set up, you'll save yourself the trouble of needing a pump to get past the check valve. Of course a pump is still an easy way to transfer water no matter your set up.
johnnyfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank