Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Cool Two gray tanks

I love our Cedar Creek but have a question..Gray tank #1 is marked Galley which I would think would be for kitchen sink and dishwasher (right?) and gray tank #2 is marked bathroom which would be bathroom sink and shower (right?). Well whenever we take showers I can hear and see water coming up in the kitchen sink. When we pull the handles allot of water comes out of the galley and very little out of bathroom. We will still be bring it back to the dealer under warranty but my ? Is ... Is this a big fix? I don't want them to tear the unit apart and be afraid that they might cause a different problem. I just told my husband we can open the galley tank while we are taking showers. What's the vote on this?
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

I believe cedar creek is similar to a cardinal which I have a I spent as few hours trying to figure out the same problem. here is what I learned. 1. the bathroom sink, shower, and kitchen sink all drain to the tank labelled 'gray'. 2. no active drains use the tank labelled 'galley'. 3. we have a washer / dryer prep and there is a drain in the back for the washer. I poured water down it and it drains to the tank labelled 'galley'. 4. I got this from the forum so I do not know it for a fact. but some posters said they make models that have an outside kitchen sink and they call this the outside galley. and when they do this that kitchen sink drains to a separate tank. so i'm assuming they made up a bunch of control panel faceplates with the words 'galley' and 'gray' and simply use them whenever they make a model with two gray tanks. hope this helps
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Gray tanks

Thank you that kinda helps. We don't have a washing machine but do have the hook up. Both gray tanks have water but the one label bathroom has very little water. I'm assuming that water is just from washing up in bathroom sink. It's sad because that's all that tank is used for it seems. We'll just open the galley when taking showers.
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

here's what I did. empty the tanks so no water runs out of them. run water down one drain until you get enough to notice in the gray tank. then go out and open one of the gray tanks and see if any water runs out. if so, you know that the drain drains to that tank. do this for each drain so that you know what drains where. as far as the washer / dryer prep I do not have a washer dryer but the trailer came plumbed and wired for it. I found the washer drain and I put a hose into it to see which tank it would drain into. this is how I confirmed that the washer drains into the galley tank and nothing else does. so I have a 40 gallon galley tank that we will not use. I have read articles on the internet where people install an additional drain valve on the output fitting where you would currently connect the sewer hose. they then close this ne valve and open the valve to the two gray tanks. this effectively connects the two gray tanks via their drain pipes. (i'm assuming a configuration with 3 currently install valves = 1 black and 2 gray all connected and sharing a single output fitting). they say this works as the water level in the two gray tanks would equalize. but I'm not doing this.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #5

I was going to start a new thread, but this is pretty close, so here goes. We have a new Ultra V, 2715 vs. We have two gray tanks, also. We have the front bath with two sinks, one on the toilet side, and one on the shower side. It seems that the sink on the toilet side drains into the black tank and the sink on the shower side drains into the front gray tank. Of course, the kitchen sink drains into the rear gray tank. It took me quite a bit of time and some head scratching to figure out what was going on. I did what chickdoe did, and checked each tank separately. Is this common on some of the other models? I was trippin' there for a while trying to figure out what they were doing. I'll find out for sure this weekend. Take care, all.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #6

We bought a Hemisphere last Sept. but have yet to get it out, but going soon.
Trying to figure out the two grey tanks as well (couldn't find the valve handle at first as
it was pushed up and hidden by the body panel - for the outlet towards the front)
Opened it and a ton of water came rushing out! I didn't know how they work? Separately or together? If they fill up independently, kitchen vs. bath? or if one fills and then transfers to the other?
jas451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas451 View Post
We bought a Hemisphere last Sept. but have yet to get it out, but going soon.
Trying to figure out the two grey tanks as well (couldn't find the valve handle at first as
it was pushed up and hidden by the body panel - for the outlet towards the front)
Opened it and a ton of water came rushing out! I didn't know how they work? Separately or together? If they fill up independently, kitchen vs. bath? or if one fills and then transfers to the other?
This is what I think I've found out so far. Like I stated, the sink on the toilet side empties into the black tank. The sink on the shower side(curb side) empties into the front gray tank. There are two discharge lines, one in the front with two handles. When you uncap the front discharge, the large handle empties the black tank, and then the small handle empties the gray tank in front. The rear discharge line empties just the rear gray tank. I'll find out for sure this weekend, since this will be our maiden voyage. Can't wait to get away.
olbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

our tracer has a tank (galley tank) for the kitchen, the gray is for our bathroom sink and shower, and our sink in the outside kitchen goes to the black tank (not sure why).
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

My 2006 Wildwood has two grey tanks also. I'm not very experienced at emptying yet, and last time I did it I did NOT open the slice valve leading from the Galley tank, but later discovered that it wasn't FULLY closed. I think that has let almost all of the water in it seep into the OTHER grey tank, since the galley tank appears largely empty.

Read my weekly Computers & Technolgy Q&A feature It's Geek To Me!
NWF Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by olbob52 View Post
this will be our maiden voyage. Can't wait to get away.
Happy for you! Hope you really enjoy yourself. We went on our maiden voyage in June, and despite a series of disasters in a unit that was conveyed to us under, shall we say, less than honest and ideal circumstances, it was still the most fun I'd had in years. We're going to a KOA about 50 miles from home in a couple weeks just to get a couple more nights in the camper before the end of summer.

-Geek

Read my weekly Computers & Technolgy Q&A feature It's Geek To Me!
NWF Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #11

I have a 340rk aka..Rear Kitchen the Galley is Grey 2 and the shower and bath sink Grey

Columbus 340RK
43 days Camping 2014 'Winterized'
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #12

OK, hooked up water and ran tests. Basically gray water 1 is for the shower and bathroom sink. Gray water 2 is for the kitchen sink. Which leaves the toilet for the black water tank.
Whew!
jas451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Yup no Issues, I ran a old water hose from my Galley Grey and tapped into my sewer connection.. This way I can dump both grey tanks into the sewer at the same time.

2013 Ram 2500 "Cummins"
2014 Columbus 340RK
28 Days camping 2015
5 stars
MacDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank