Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Question urine in black tank

Before I leave the campground, I clean and flush my black tank. On our drive home we need to go only #1 into the black tank. If my next use of the travel trailer is in about a month do I need to go to a dump station to flush the tank again when I get home? It would be great if I could wait until our next trip since its only urine in the tank. Thanks for your comments.
mltennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #2

I do the same. A few gallons of water in the tank and the ride home is usually 3 plus hours. No smell and some trips I put Calgon water softener and Dawn in there for the trip home. Have been doing it this way since 2012.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

first off, you flushed the tank, but there still is some number 2 in there.

so go ahead and do number 1 on way home. plus a couple gallons of water and TST aqua-Kem holding tank treatment you will be OK.

maybe flush another bottle in 2 weeks if you want.

I buy the box of 6-8oz bottles. Sure it cost a little more, but I don't need to measure 6oz every time. I have tried them all and always come back to aqua kem
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

Nope, a bit of pee in the bottom of the otherwise empty black tank wont hurt a thing.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #5

Oh hell, we have left #1 and #2 in the tank for several weeks, sometimes on purpose, and sometimes by accident. Never caused us any problems or smells.
The key to any holding tank is using enough water.
Would I leave tanks partially full over a month. No.
Always leave several gallons in the waste tanks after cleaning.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Urine in the BW Tank

No worries. We almost always come home with a little in the tank. After flushing the tank, I add about 3 gallons of water, drop a sanitizer pod in the tank and head home. Never in many years, have I had a problem.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Pee

After emptying tank and after flushing w/ water at site. I put 3 or 4 gallons of water back in w/ a scoop of Happy Camper (same as Calgon and Dawn). No problem w/ a little pee.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #8

Not a problem. Especially in today's world, the point of dragging your own bathroom around is to use it, not a piblic one.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #9

I tried something interesting this time. Our black tank shows 2/3 full when Ive just emptied it. When we parked it last time after arriving home I poured and entire box of Rid-X into the toilet and filled the black tank with water until all three lights showed red.

Our next trip is not a long journey and I will empty that tank as soon as we get there. Im curious to see two things,

1. what will the water look like coming out
2, what will the indicators read after I drain the tank
Old 06-26-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I tried something interesting this time. Our black tank shows 2/3 full when Ive just emptied it. When we parked it last time after arriving home I poured and entire box of Rid-X into the toilet and filled the black tank with water until all three lights showed red.

Our next trip is not a long journey and I will empty that tank as soon as we get there. Im curious to see two things,

1. what will the water look like coming out
2, what will the indicators read after I drain the tank
A box?? A box is to treat something like 2000 gallons.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There seems to be way too much concern these days over black tanks and sensors that need to show the exact levels. Back in the day there were no sensors or black tank flushes and we got along just fine.

Just use it! Use it with lots of water and over time you'll find your favorite chemical and you'll also find the sensor operation don't matter. It will burp when it's getting full... or... once you know how many days you can use it, simply flush the day before.

This past winter in FL we found that about 8 days was burp time so I simply dumped once a week and never even looked at the sensors.

During weekend camping trips, we'll often let stuff in the tank over the course of 3-4 weeks before we fill the black tank enough to flush. I've never seen a need to dump/flush after just a weekend's use.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
A box?? A box is to treat something like 2000 gallons.
You are right, I just wanted to insure I had enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There seems to be way too much concern these days over black tanks and sensors that need to show the exact levels. Back in the day there were no sensors or black tank flushes and we got along just fine.

Just use it! Use it with lots of water and over time you'll find your favorite chemical and you'll also find the sensor operation don't matter. It will burp when it's getting full... or... once you know how many days you can use it, simply flush the day before.

This past winter in FL we found that about 8 days was burp time so I simply dumped once a week and never even looked at the sensors.

During weekend camping trips, we'll often let stuff in the tank over the course of 3-4 weeks before we fill the black tank enough to flush. I've never seen a need to dump/flush after just a weekend's use.
You are correct too, of course. My problem is I HATE things that are installed and not working or not working correctly. I just seem compelled to try and find a fix

Our most common trip is 4 days, Thursday arrival and a Monday departure. Never have to dump tanks in between, with the possible exception of the Grey tank if we take long showers with our tankless WH (Such a luxury!)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
You are right, I just wanted to insure I had enough
I think you just might!
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #14

The bad part about leaving only urine in a tank for a prolonged period of time is, as water evaporates from the urine, urine salts are created that eventually build up and become as hard as a rock. The salts will collect at the lowest point, which, in your case, is going to be your dump valve. This may or may not cause problems, but if chunks of urine salts get stuck in just the right place at the blade for your dump valve, they can rip the rubber seal when you close the valve on them.

If you are planning on using your toilet for only urine, you should make sure you have a few gallons of water in the tank to help the urine salts form developing as quickly as they would without the additional water.

Bruce
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM   #15

Usually when we head home after flushing the black tank, we’ll give it a dose of Calgon, couple of gallons of water and a full bag of ice. The ice does an excellent job of scrubbing the tank and level sensor.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I do the same. A few gallons of water in the tank and the ride home is usually 3 plus hours. No smell and some trips I put Calgon water softener and Dawn in there for the trip home. Have been doing it this way since 2012.
This right here seems to work the best. After 4 years of camping, never had a smell issue, or float issue, or dumping issue with the black tank. Between the Calgon and Dawn, the tan flushes pretty easy, and I also drop a bleach pack in too, which helps kill any lingering bacteria from the #1 that makes it smell.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #17

I believe you are fine leaving urine in your black water tank. There are a couple of concerns though, always add plenty of water so your salt level is minimized.
We always dump our tanks before leaving but add plenty of water with a black tank additive and leave that until our next trip which this time of year is every few weeks or so.the drive home shakes things up and clean off paper or other product you want thinned out.
Oldairmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #18

Might be a problem if you had asparagus for dinner the night before!

I've done the same and it was never an issue, just added additional fresh water to the tank to keep things diluted.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #19

Black tank fluids

It should be fine if you add a few gallons of water with some Happy Camper mixed in.
corky310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 PM   #20

Pretend you are long term camping with no dump available.

Would you worry then?

Black tank is merely a storage container. Just make sure there is plenty of water in it so solid stuff doesn't dry out if there is any.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank