RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #1

Vent from black water tank seems unconnected and vent gray tank is leaking

Is this connected the way it should be?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	245098
Filos Hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #2

Name:	IMG_3725.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	245099
Old 12-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

I feel this is a "Trick Question"? I would answer this as Yes it is a proper connection,NO it is NOT Factory! This unit must be used and someone has used Fernco type fitting for Repair! Nothing wrong with using Fernco type fittings but the Factory Glues fitting together! Check the Fernco for tightness and check for Cracks around the Stub fittings in the Tanks! Youroo!!
Old 12-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I feel this is a "Trick Question"? I would answer this as Yes it is a proper connection,NO it is NOT Factory! This unit must be used and someone has used Fernco type fitting for Repair! Nothing wrong with using Fernco type fittings but the Factory Glues fitting together! Check the Fernco for tightness and check for Cracks around the Stub fittings in the Tanks! Youroo!!
OK, thanks. But the pipe that is coming out from the black water tank is blocked. Should't this be connected to a vent? Or connected to the same vent coming out of the gray water tank?

Or am I completely missing the point and are these not vents?

F.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #5

I’m not quite sure how they would properly seal that 1-1/2” ABS street 90 connecting the drain to the gray tank. The street 90 has a 1-1/2” hub on one end and a 1-1/2” spigot on the other end — the spigot end is designed to be glued into the hub of another 1-1/2” fitting — not for something to be glued to the inside of it like it is in your picture. The inside diameter of the street end of the fitting is a nominal 1-1/2” and is not designed for something to be inserted and glued inside of it, so I’m not sure what was used for a good connection at this joint/connection to the tank.

With the Fernco-type couplings being where they are, it looks like that tank has been removed and replaced for some reason.

It’s hard to say where the leak is coming from, but I would start by taking a close look at where that drain connects to the tank.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filos Hippos View Post
OK, thanks. But the pipe that is coming out from the black water tank is blocked. Should't this be connected to a vent? Or connected to the same vent coming out of the gray water tank?

Or am I completely missing the point and are these not vents?

F.
Where is the picture with your black tank vent issue?

Bruce
Old 12-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

It is indeed the lower connection to the gray water tank that is somewhat loose. The silicone is bad.

Not sure if this is a drain coming in or the vent coming out. Pretty sure it is not a drain but will check later by pouring in water from shower and sink.

If it is indeed a vent, gray water splashing against the top of the tank when driving could explain the leak.

I do not really understand why the other pipe is blocked. Maybe it used to have a "Y" connection to the other vent?

Better would be if the gray and black water tanks had separate vents. I suppose this is how it was when it left the factory as there are two vents on the roof. Maybe the black water vent was left unconnected after some work had been done by the previous owner.

(I bought it a few weeks ago in UK)

Does anyone have picture of their connection on a Legacy 340BH? (or similar)

Thanks,
F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	245100  
Old 12-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #8

The vent for your black tank should be coming out of the top of the tank and should not break at 90 degrees before it gets to above the flood rim of your toilet, so I do not think what you have circled as a plugged vent is the black tank vent. The other pipe/fitting you have circled is a drain — not a vent, and this is what I was talking about in my first post here. It looks like a rig to me.

Now that I understand the whole picture, it looks to me like, that at one time, the now-leaking gray water drain used to be piped to the black tank instead of the gray tank — some RVs are piped like this. Somebody didn’t like this idea, so they rerouted the gray water drain to the gray tank and capped/plugged where it used to dump into the black tank. Just seeing that one little piece of white pipe (probably 1-1/2” CTS polypropylene) tells me this was not done at the factory. 1-1/2” CTS pipe is the only thing I can think of that somebody would use that would come close to fitting tightly to the inside of the spigot of a 1-1/2” street fitting.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #9

Just to add an observation; notice the color of the glue used on the ABS pipe that is now capped — it is yellowish at the original fitting (not at the cap/plug). This is the type of ABS glue I have seen used most by RV manufacturers. Now, take a look at that 1-1/2” street 90 dumping into the gray tank — there’s no yellow glue. There’s also no yellow glue where the cap/plug was attached. Somebody other than the factory used a different type of glue or other adhesive to make these joints.

EDIT: It also looks like somebody paid 2.50 Euro for that 1-1/2” street 90. You’re not going to find price stickers on fittings installed by the factory.

Bruce
Old 12-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #10

Name:	IMG_3721.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	245111
So maybe the tanks have been moved from their original position and that is why the dump valve exit pipe doesnít align with the drilled hole in the bottom.

If I fit the supplied extension it comes to far out.

Even if I would fit a 90 degree angled extension directly on the exit pipe after the valves I would not be able to get it to pass through the predrilled hole...
Old 12-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

Name:	IMG_3719.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	245112
Old 12-30-2020, 04:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Now that I understand the whole picture, it looks to me like, that at one time, the now-leaking gray water drain used to be piped to the black tank instead of the gray tank ó some RVs are piped like this. Somebody didnít like this idea, so they rerouted the gray water drain to the gray tank and capped/plugged where it used to dump into the black tank.Bruce
Thanks for helping out. Any idea why it would previously have been piped to the black tank? What are the advantages except maybe rinsing or flushing the black tank with the disadvantage of being full quicker??

Have repaired the leak yesterday and also repaired a few small leaks in seam of roof and water piping/tubes. Replaced the house batteries with 4 Trojan 6V T105's, re-attached cabinet door, found culprit switch of (out of order) auto-levellling system,

Still on to do list:
- repair bent chassis/beams under water tank
- isolate underside of storage compartments and add double skin with alloy 1mm sheet metal. Hope also to get all storage compartments dry this way with added benefit of no freezing in there...
- get rear airco to work (no power supply to unit)

With the new Trojan battery bank my residential fridge only runs on the inverter for about 1,5 - 2 hours before generator kicks in.

Mechanic/engineer who sold me the set advised me to set AGS at 12,2V to avoid damaging the batteries as 12,10V equals a discharge of about 50%. (11,66V equals discharge of 80% and should be absolute maximum discharge)

Had battery cut out set at 12V.

Can maybe set AGS to 12V and battery cut out to 11,5V as a absolute minimum. Not sure if that would help a great deal.

Was hoping for the fridge to run on the inverter/batteries for maybe 12hours or so before generator start.

Have also set fridge and freezer to least cold setting...

How long do your batteries cope please without genny? Also only a few hours?

THANKS!!!
F.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filos Hippos View Post
Thanks for helping out. Any idea why it would previously have been piped to the black tank? What are the advantages except maybe rinsing or flushing the black tank with the disadvantage of being full quicker??
I canít answer any of your other questions because I just donít know enough about any of those things to be helpful, but I can (sort of) answer the question above.

Some RVs have one gray water fixture draining to the black tank for some reason. The most common seems to be convenience for the installer. Some people claim it is an intentional measure to ensure the black tank receives enough water to keep it from getting clogged ó I donít know for sure, but I do know that some RVs are piped this way and it is usually a bathroom sink that drains into the black tank, although some have found it to be their shower or clothes washer.

Bruce

Tags
black, black water, leak, tank, vent, water, water tank