Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #1

Very little water pressure in shower 21 GT 5

I bet there have been hundreds of these questions but how to we increase water pressure in shower ? Brand new unit 21 and pressure seems fine in sinks but shower — after 5 seconds it’s not a spray more of a stream. I read hooked to city water you do not run water pump. I have a gauge and it is showing right at green and red line for pressure. Is there a valve somewhere diverting water supply ?
Hot water supply is good so not decreasing supply ? Wife is frustrated more than me I turn on and off with head button which builds a little back pressure for few seconds and then **** off again. Maybe this is a good as it gets ? Any ideas ? Encouragement - open to all

Thanks
ELW57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

I have the same situation on our new 19FD, the system (pump) seems like it does not have the volume required by the shower and other faucets...initially great pressure and volume, but it immediately falls off. The installed Surflo pump is only rated at 3 GPM, I do have another new-in-box wazoo Surflo 4 GPM that's going in today. If it improves the flow for faucets and shower, I'll let you know...
Plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
NXR

Our water pressure in the shower is fine but we changed from the stock shower head to an Oxygenics: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If any faucet is running or a toilet is flushing, the water pressure in all others is very noticeably reduced on ours.

If you have a water pressure regulator, what do you have it set to? A SHURFLO 4008 pump turns on when the pressure drops to 40 PSI and turns off at 55 PSI.

If you have a water pressure regulator, what does its pressure gauge show while water is running? Some cause excessive flow restriction.

Ray
Old 01-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Our water pressure in the shower is fine but we changed from the stock shower head to an Oxygenics: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If any faucet is running or a toilet is flushing, the water pressure in all others is very noticeably reduced on ours.

If you have a water pressure regulator, what do you have it set to? A SHURFLO 4008 pump turns on when the pressure drops to 40 PSI and turns off at 55 PSI.

If you have a water pressure regulator, what does its pressure gauge show while water is running? Some cause excessive flow restriction.

Ray
Thank you, I have outside the regulator with the yellow, green, and red ranges and it shows the top of the green into the red with nothing running I have not checked in with the shower on. Question though as I am new to this. We were told; do not run the water pump when connected to city water as the water pump pulls from the fresh water tank, not the city feed. what do you do? I will look into the shower head replacement - thanks.
ELW57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #5

Camper plumbing is commonly full of debris from manufacturing and occasional kinks in the PEX plumbing. If both Hot and Cold have low pressure it's likely the shower head is full of crud. Pull it and check flow with it removed. Clean out the crud. If it's just hot or cold check for kinks in the plumbing.

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

Another upvote for the Oxygenics shower head. It made a world of difference in our rig.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Team

Water flow from our shower didn’t suit me so I unscrewed the shower hose from the faucet and found a permanently installed flow restrictor. It had one little hole in it. I took my drill and made another hole and now get plenty of flow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5284.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	246077

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELW57 View Post
Thank you, I have outside the regulator with the yellow, green, and red ranges and it shows the top of the green into the red with nothing running I have not checked in with the shower on. Question though as I am new to this. We were told; do not run the water pump when connected to city water as the water pump pulls from the fresh water tank, not the city feed. what do you do? I will look into the shower head replacement - thanks.
Correct, water pump off when on city water. That being said, some people run exclusively off their fresh water tank and the water pump. They refill the water tank when needed and shut the city water off.

Have you tried that as a test to see if it's better? If not, it's a plumbing issue. If it is, it's something else.

Can you post a link to that regulator you have?

Ray
Old 01-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #9

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Camper plumbing is commonly full of debris from manufacturing and occasional kinks in the PEX plumbing. If both Hot and Cold have low pressure it's likely the shower head is full of crud. Pull it and check flow with it removed. Clean out the crud. If it's just hot or cold check for kinks in the plumbing.

-- Chuck
X2. What he said. Gunk in the shower head.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #10

I just installed the new higher volume pump and it made quite an improvement. You're still aren't gonna have water like at home but it's MUCH better.

4 GPM Sureflo that has the variable speed motor so it's not just cranking on and off but the speed ramps up and down depending on the flow. It essentially drops right in and connects right up.

Good luck and have fun with your new trailer!!
Plongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #11

Low Water Pressure

I just find I have so much more water pressure running off the tank! The city water connection is where I put the water pressure reducing valve. But when we use the holding tank it bypasses that and we get amazing strong pressure compared to the city hookup with pressure reducer on! My wife loves it! Be sure to double check all your valves to be sure they are fully open and check your filter on the water pump. Debris gets in there also from the factory or????
Good Luck but between the shower head and other things you should have solution!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Water flow from our shower didn’t suit me so I unscrewed the shower hose from the faucet and found a permanently installed flow restrictor. It had one little hole in it. I took my drill and made another hole and now get plenty of flow.
Attachment 246077
I brought that problem to one of the service men at the dealer he chuckled and said we can fix that. He removed the shower head took the restrictor out handed it to me replaced the shower head and said problem solved.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #13

My water heater holds 6 gallons of which maybe half is useful for hot water before it's diluted to the point it's no longer hot. Restrictor in the shower hose or head is there (unless you remove it) to conserve water and prevent running out of hot water half way thru. Without the restrictor my water pump flows at 2 gallons/minute (I measured it) meaning I'd have to shower in 90 seconds before the water becomes warm rather than hot.

There's a restrictor in your home shower head's design as well.

-- Chuck
Old 01-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
My water heater holds 6 gallons of which maybe half is useful for hot water before it's diluted to the point it's no longer hot. Restrictor in the shower hose or head is there (unless you remove it) to conserve water and prevent running out of hot water half way thru. Without the restrictor my water pump flows at 2 gallons/minute (I measured it) meaning I'd have to shower in 90 seconds before the water becomes warm rather than hot.

-- Chuck
My water heater holds 10 gallons. It also begins its recovery when the thermostat commands it. Even with the extra hole in my restrictor, our water begins to get cooler before the end of the shower about 1 day out of 108. The extra hole in my restrictor causes no problem. There is no restrictor in my home shower head.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:

-- Chuck
I have never had a problem with a shower.

Tags
pressure, show, shower, water