Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #41

Hi 5picker. Thanks for your note. Yes, hot flow at the kitchen sink is normal. FWIW, cold flow is normal at shower and bathroom sink. Also, since hot is normal everywhere, cold flow must be good to the water heater which is near the kitchen sink.

Fortunately, it's relatively easy to disconnect and remove the kitchen faucet, so I will do that and replace with something nicer from Home Depot. Something we were planning to do anyway, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll have to start digging into the plumbing...
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #42

Update on Kitchen Faucet Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
So, I was just about to pull the trigger for a new Dura Faucet kitchen faucet when I reviewed this thread. How are you guys adapting the compression fittings on most home type faucets to the 1/2 inch on our rigs. Seems like getting an RV faucet is just easier but I agree that the quality of the home faucets are better quality. I still have a few weeks until I need it so appreciate any assistance. Limited plumbing knowledge and skills but is there a compression fitting to male 1/2 inch adapter?

By the way I need to update my description. I now own a 34 foot Newmar Bay Star Class A.

Thanks
Just replaced my kitchen faucet today, and I faced the exact same problem that Davidceder was facing: The existing crappy faucet that came with the RV had failed after about 25 days of camping. After much trial-and-error (I am not a good plumber) I determined that the existing connections were male NPS (national pipe straight) that use a washer and work basically like a garden hose connection. I went to Home Depot and got two standard 1/2" MIP (male iron pipe) x 3/8" compression fittings (household standard for faucets) and a private-label Glacier Bay faucet.

The MIP fitting from Home Depot (which is tapered) screwed into the NPS on the trailer pipe, but it felt sort of wobbly and I could tell it wasn't snugging up. A quick pressure test confirmed that it leaked like a sieve. I then started on a quixotic mission to find an adapter, but couldn't find anything.

So, I went to Ace Hardware and the retired plumber working there assured me that Shark Bite fittings would solve my problem quickly and easily. I (gulp) cut off the old fittings, replaced them Shark Bite 1/2" x 1/2" FNPT (see photo), then used my home Depot 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and the faucet hooked right up. Still leak testing, but we're dry after an hour...

I absolutely HATE to touch plumbing, but boy those Shark Bites made it simple.

BTW, the plumber recommended that I pull out that white insert that they've now added to SB fittings (see picture). He said while they were added later to help center the pipe being inserted, they often kick sideways and actually get in the way. I did this on one and forgot to on the other, and both connections seem OK.

Anyway, this was a much more stressful journey than it needed to be for me, but I now have a nice residential quality (if low-end) faucet. So, my advice is that if you are fighting through a similar problem, cut off those non-standard trailer fittings and replace with residential using Shark Bite and you'll be all set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211211_161138060.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	266612  
Old 12-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #43

A little update, turns out the guy at Ace was wrong. I was researching, and you need to leave that white insert in place for PEX. The fitting that I had pulled the insert out of was leaking a little bit, so I redid it with another fitting
Old 12-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #44

You do realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 2424 View Post
A little update, turns out the guy at Ace was wrong. I was researching, and you need to leave that white insert in place for PEX. The fitting that I had pulled the insert out of was leaking a little bit, so I redid it with another fitting
You do realize that SharkBite (and equivalent) fittings can be released and reused, right? You just have to push that outer plastic ring into the fitting and it will release.

They sell a U-shaped plastic tool that slides over the pipe that can be used to depress the ring, but if you lack one, an adjustable (Crescent) wrench can be used; just tighten it until it just slips on the pipe and press it against the ring. You can even use a pliers, but you have to hold it just right.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You do realize that SharkBite (and equivalent) fittings can be released and reused, right? You just have to push that outer plastic ring into the fitting and it will release.

They sell a U-shaped plastic tool that slides over the pipe that can be used to depress the ring, but if you lack one, an adjustable (Crescent) wrench can be used; just tighten it until it just slips on the pipe and press it against the ring. You can even use a pliers, but you have to hold it just right.
Thanks Larry, yes, I even bought one of those little orange removal tools that you describe. The issue was that I had pulled the white stiffening insert out of one of the fittings, rendering it useless for PEX. Also, since I was chasing a minor leak I decided to start fresh with two new fittings. I'm keeping the undamaged one as a spare, though.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 12-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #46
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 2424 View Post
Not only does the white plastic insert help center the mating pipe going in, more importantly, on certain types of tubing, it also keeps the tubing from collapsing inward from the pressure of o-ring seals in the fitting for a leak free connection.

If you have issues with it sliding up inside the tube during installation, (cocking) simply remove the plastic collar, slide it into the end of the plumbing tube, then insert the tube into the fitting.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #47

Thanks, 5picker, that's good to know...

Tags
faucet