Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #1

Warning for replacing faucets

Word of warning for everyone. I just replaced the faucet in my bathroom on my 2015 Forester 2301. The valves on the old one were getting bound up so it was time for a new one.

I bought a new faucet - brand name DuraFaucet at Camping World. Nice looking faucet, brushed nickle and the spout extended a little more than the factory faucet.

Removal of the old faucet was pretty straight forward. Loosen the pex connections, remove the two ring nuts holding the faucet in place and take out the old.

The new one dropped right in and I secured it with the supplied ring nuts and reconnected the pex connections. This is where the fun starts.....put the water pressure to it and both hot and cold connections leaked all over the place. The pex connections were as tight as I could get them but they still leaked.

I pulled everything apart and closely compared the old and new faucets. The two threaded "pipes" on the bottom of the old faucet were 2 1/8" long. On the new one they were only 1 7/8" long. Also the two ring nuts for holding the faucet in place for the new faucet were thicker. End result was the pex connector would not thread on completely and seat, that's where it leaked.

I figured while I was at it I replaced the cheap plastic pex swivel connectors with brass ones.

I used the old faucet ring nuts but before I reinstalled them I sanded 1/8" off of them (1/16" on each side). Now when I reinstalled everything there was enough space for the pex connectors to seat properly and there's no leaks.

I emailed Dura Faucet about their poor design but they ignored me.

Figured I'd pass this along in case anyone else needs to replace a faucet, if you do check the dimensions comparing the old with the new.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good tip, thanks.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #3

Good to know, thanks

2019 Salem FSX 179DBK
firemedicmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #5

That is a great heads up. Thanks for sharing the problem and the fix.
I will add one thing. I stay away from any product with Dura in the brand name, especially Dura faucets. There is a reason they are widely used in RVs. Cheap.
I always replace all the faucets in any new RV with name brand residential type faucets.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That is a great heads up. Thanks for sharing the problem and the fix.
I will add one thing. I stay away from any product with Dura in the brand name, especially Dura faucets. There is a reason they are widely used in RVs. Cheap.
I always replace all the faucets in any new RV with name brand residential type faucets.
X2

I admit to using faucets from the big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot), but Bruce (Nomad297) assures us that the ones you get from the plumbing supply houses are even better quality. Next time I'm going to the City Desk at Ferguson's.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #7
D W

The OP cites a very common problem with faucets these days. Often kitchen and bathroom renovations entail thick granite, silestone/quartz and even concrete counter tops. They do make different length extensions for the half inch supply nipples. However, I wouldn't classify it as a manufacturing defect, but rather a misapplication that needs a fix.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-House-...858819&sr=8-11

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Design-H...312611#overlay
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The OP cites a very common problem with faucets these days. Often kitchen and bathroom renovations entail thick granite, silestone/quartz and even concrete counter tops. They do make different length extensions for the half inch supply nipples. However, I wouldn't classify it as a manufacturing defect, but rather a misapplication that needs a fix.

A $22 fix for a $35 faucet. The manufacturer should take into consideration what the maximum countertop thickness the RV industry uses and make their product accordingly. We're talking 1/4" of additional plastic on the supply connection. Maybe the defect isn't in the product but in the people designing them.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #9

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post

Those only work if the faucet nipple extends enough that they can be tightened enough to seal. Plus enough space for a big washer. You don't want that hex head grinding right onto the composition-board underside of the countertop.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #10

X2
fgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #11

Been There !! And had to modify it Too!!!’
Riverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #12

Who’d a thunk. What should be an easy switch out turns into such a big job. I have to say though, I never would have thought to measure the threaded pipes on the bottom of the faucet. Thanks for the heads up.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-55
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2

I replaced both bathroom and outdoor kitchen faucets with household faucets from Amazon. Now I can actually get my hands under the faucet without getting water all over the counter. Don’t forget to use plumbers putty under the new faucet (wasn’t there on original install from factory) - helps prevent leaking under faucet into vanity below. I also used some plumbers paste on wet fittings.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Those only work if the faucet nipple extends enough that they can be tightened enough to seal. Plus enough space for a big washer. You don't want that hex head grinding right onto the composition-board underside of the countertop.
Yeah, I reckon if you don't know what you're doing you could screw it up pretty bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ex.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	263607  
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
Cousins

I replaced my very leaky kitchen faucet with a new Stainless Steel high neck pull out faucet from the hardware store. It was a residential type faucet and not a weight conscious faucet. I probably added an extra 24 ounces of weight to my travel trailer.

I have one of my outdoor shower faucets leaking when it is used. I am not going to replace it as the only replacement I have found is another expensive plastic cheaply built one. I just use the one that doesn’t leak.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #17

Faucet replacement

I changed faucets with house faucets
The only thing you have to do is get adapter fittings to go from rv to house threads as they are different
I got them at local rv repair parts store
dprice1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #18

Changed 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice1121 View Post
I changed faucets with house faucets
The only thing you have to do is get adapter fittings to go from rv to house threads as they are different
I got them at local rv repair parts store
I changed kitchen faucets in two trailers and a lavatory faucet in one of them. Never encountered any issues including thread issues.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #19

In last two fifth wheels I’ve swapped out kitchen and lavatory faucets with Moen single lever fixtures. Have not found a main line mfg. providing a faucet that accomodates the shower valve arrangement found in most RVs, so have had to use the Dura single lever product. Saves water and allows better temperature adjustments.
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #20

I just assume every faucet change requires pipe work😕

I have been very happy with Phoenix’s faucets. Good price point and reviews

Phoenix PF231461 Single Handle... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EE589I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Phoenix S1265-1 Spout 4" Faucet... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C5SIKS4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Can’t find a Phoenix so will probably go for this dura in the shower Dura Faucet Single Lever RV Shower Faucet Valve Diverter - for: Recreational Vehicle, Motor Home, Travel Trailer, Camper, Fifth (5th) Wheel, Towable (Brushed Satin Nickel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYIKEKW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6R4E82KDP1J583SANHQ9?_ encoding=UTF8&psc=1
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet