Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jourdanton, Texas
Posts: 144
Waste tanks --- full or empty?

I couldn't find a link addressing this. When we leave the RV at the campground and head home, we dump all tanks and flush black tank. I'm hearing a strain of thought that recommends dumping, cleaning, then filling with clean water and letting it sit until we return so the 'stuff' in the tanks don't dry out.
Any thoughts?



Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 13,966
I never refill my tanks with clean water or anything else after I dump when leaving a campground. I DO add 5 gallons or so of water to my black tank.
__________________

__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 26; booked = 42
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jourdanton, Texas
Posts: 144
Thanks, Mr. Dan. I never thought about leaving it empty would dry out the residuals. 5 gallons sounds good to me.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,018
I also do the same as Mr. Dan.


I don't think it would hurt to refill the tanks but it's added weight (not a problem for most people) but then you have full tanks to deal with at the start of your trip.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 5,651
We always dump, rinse, then add a few gallons with chemicals to the black tank. Also dump a little of the yellow gray tank deodorizer in all the drains.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jourdanton, Texas
Posts: 144
Great tips! Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Member
 
SkipBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 61
Tanks

We dump rinse and dump.

When the tank is drained we add a few gallons and some Tank Tech RX. All seems good using this method.
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,580
I always leave a few gallons of water in the black and gray tanks during the season with 1 laundry load of detergent and 1 laundry load of Calgon water Softener.

When I winterize, I add 1/2 quart of RV-Digest-It (by Unique) to each tank and fill them to the top and let them sit for 72 hours or more; then dump and turbo rinse (I installed one on my gray tank, too).

My tanks are link new, don't smell, and (with Horst probes) the tank monitoring systems work flawlessly.
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,194
X2 on dump completely when leaving. Once home I add 3-4gals of water and a an oz of Rid-x to help decompose anything that may be left. When I winterize in the fall, I add 10 gal of water and some Odoban and let sit for a few days before I drain and winterize.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dave Lyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 927
After dumping at the campground, I dump 5 gallons of water into the black tank with laundry soap and let it slosh around on the trip home. I then drain it and fill it with water and drain it again; and store it with both gray and black tanks empty.

I use the geo method and never had issues with tank smell or dried waste in the black tank.
__________________
Dave, Southern,ON



2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Penfield
Posts: 179
We use the Geo Method as well and don't add any extra water to the black tank after dumping. I do this because one of my RV's in the past has had a paltry 23 (or was it 28?) gallon black tank and if I added ~5 gallons I'd have lost almost 20% of my holding capacity before I even started camping.

One of the main reasons we bought a RV in the 1st place was to have our own bathroom so we use the tanks to the max almost every time we go camping. I don't put much thought into the "dummy" light gauges. I turn off the pump, push down on the toilet foot pedal and see how my space is there ... just don't do this right before dinner

my two cents ...
__________________
John M
2013 GMC Sierra 2500DH CC, 4x4, D/A
2016 Forest River Vengeance 25V TT/TH
johnm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,580
Adding a few gallons to start is just good insurance to prevent the dreaded "Tower of Doom" under your drop tube into the tank.

A dry tank will allow that first flush to stick to the bottom starting the tower.

Subsequent uses will keep the tower going and at dump time, the push from the water might not completely clean the floor allowing it to dry out and build a solid base for future troubles.

Ounce (or gallon) of prevention...
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
 
awellis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I don't think it would hurt to refill the tanks but it's added weight (not a problem for most people) but then you have full tanks to deal with at the start of your trip.
He leaves his RV at the campground. I'm guessing he is seasonal.
__________________
Wright and Penny
(with Fitz and Lizzie, the camping kitties)
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
code.org
 
moff34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 217
Grey & Black tank cleaning

To aid in keeping our tanks clean, I installed a sewer drain connection next to my storage pad at home. It has been a great investment. A clear sewer connection elbow is also a critical part of the process as I know how many refill / flushes of the black tank it takes before the water runs clear.

When camping, prior to what I know will be our final dump before leaving, I add Calgon water softener. On moving day, I dump the black tank, refill / flush five times, then dump the grey tank. I then fill both tanks to 1/3 full and add Calgon water softener and three Tide laundry pods to each tank for the drive home.

During the drive home both tanks get a thorough cleaning from the agitated water, water softener, and laundry detergent mix.

Upon arrival at home I immediately hook up to my sewer connection and drain the black tank. I am always amazed at how much more crud flows out even though I flushed the tank 5 times immediately before leaving the campground. I turn on the tank flushing hose and continue refilling and dumping until the water runs clear, usually about 3 more times. I then dump the grey tank and run water in the sinks refilling and dumping until the water runs clear. I leave the drain hose attached for an hour or more with both dump valves open to make sure they are thoroughly drained then close everything up until the next trip.

After 25 years of motor homes and trailers this method, continually modified over the years, has served us well.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
TandSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We always dump, rinse, then add a few gallons with chemicals to the black tank. Also dump a little of the yellow gray tank deodorizer in all the drains.
X2
__________________
2017.5 Cedar Creek 34RL2
2018 F-350 Lariat CC SRW PSD 4x4
USMC Fighter Pilot (Ret)
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
RollingDownTheHighway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 626
If we're going out again soon, I'll dump 5 gallons or so and some cleaner in the black tank. I let it sit and swoosh around to and from the CG's, then dump it at the CG.
__________________
2013 Prime Time Tracer 3200BHT
2016 Chevy 3500 CC, DRW (aka: bigbootyjudy)
Ribs in the smoker and Whiskey in hand
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
I couldn't find a link addressing this. When we leave the RV at the campground and head home, we dump all tanks and flush black tank. I'm hearing a strain of thought that recommends dumping, cleaning, then filling with clean water and letting it sit until we return so the 'stuff' in the tanks don't dry out.
Any thoughts?



Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Black tank should never be empty. Even after draining, you should be adding the chemical and a gallon or so of water (whatever the chemical instructions state). Even during the winter I have RV antifreeze in there.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jourdanton, Texas
Posts: 144
Thank y'all for the input. Took notes.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 5,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
He leaves his RV at the campground. I'm guessing he is seasonal.
Seams like most missed that ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: California
Posts: 87
Waste Tanks ---full or empty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
To aid in keeping our tanks clean, I installed a sewer drain connection next to my storage pad at home. It has been a great investment. A clear sewer connection elbow is also a critical part of the process as I know how many refill / flushes of the black tank it takes before the water runs clear.

When camping, prior to what I know will be our final dump before leaving, I add Calgon water softener. On moving day, I dump the black tank, refill / flush five times, then dump the grey tank. I then fill both tanks to 1/3 full and add Calgon water softener and three Tide laundry pods to each tank for the drive home.

During the drive home both tanks get a thorough cleaning from the agitated water, water softener, and laundry detergent mix.

Upon arrival at home I immediately hook up to my sewer connection and drain the black tank. I am always amazed at how much more crud flows out even though I flushed the tank 5 times immediately before leaving the campground. I turn on the tank flushing hose and continue refilling and dumping until the water runs clear, usually about 3 more times. I then dump the grey tank and run water in the sinks refilling and dumping until the water runs clear. I leave the drain hose attached for an hour or more with both dump valves open to make sure they are thoroughly drained then close everything up until the next trip.

After 25 years of motor homes and trailers this method, continually modified over the years, has served us well.
How much Calgon water softener do you add? Liquid? What size are your tanks? I keep mine pretty clean but the sensors are off so must be some crud on them. I do have the clear connectors for the drain hose and luckily have a built in tank flush system which I use.
__________________

wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.


×