Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2021, 10:53 PM   #1

Waste water in toilet bowl after flushing

We are traveling and just noticed that a small amount of waste water shows up in the bottom of the toilet bowl about a minute after flushing. How can that be?
The black tank is only 2/3 or less full.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
David from California needs help in Colorado.
dgccbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:16 PM   #2

What do you mean by ‘wastewater’? Is it clear or does it have #1 or #2 in it.

Most RV toilets have enough water in the rim after letting off the flush pedal to add about an inch of water. This is normal.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #3

sounds like another Dometic 300 leaking internally. I had the same problem. Couldn't figure out how urine was getting up from the black tank and back into the bowl. Your toilet has urine trapped inside and once the level gets high enough, it starts leaching back into the bowl. Replace the toilet w/ a Dometic 310.
Heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
What do you mean by ‘wastewater’? Is it clear or does it have #1 or #2 in it.

Most RV toilets have enough water in the rim after letting off the flush pedal to add about an inch of water. This is normal.
I get that ...
The normal result of a flush leaves a small amount of clear water in the bottom of the bowl. However, what we are now experiencing is dark, smelly water leaking into the bowl on top of the clean water.
dgccbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #5

Can you confirm that you have a Dometic 300 toilet (check label on base)? If you do, my previous post explains the mystery.
Heatheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:46 PM   #6
TGR

Dometic 300 toilets with problems of this type are being replaced by Dometic. A poster on another blog wrote this:

It is a warranty issue, call this number 800-544-4881 and there are two separate messages, press 1 for the first message and then 7 for the second message. The best time to call is 8:30 am or 4:40 pm

Another poster said Dometic is replacing the 300 with a 310. I don't have this information first hand but it should be worth a try.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:04 PM   #7

Dometic extended the original warranty from 1 year to 2. You will need to provide proof that you are the original owner. They upgraded me to the 310 for free but i have read where others had to pay $100 to get the 310. I had the new unit shipped to my home and i did the install myself.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:45 PM   #8

Our 2 year old 300 did similar, along with a serious odor that couldn't be resolved. Recieved a new 300 under Dometic warranty within 4 days of initial call. No hassle at all. They included a new flange seal and hardware. Super easy repair.
As stated above, Dometic will replace and ship a new style 300 free of charge to owners with early design, or in-warranty, leaking commodes.
Gather your pottie serial number and a pic of the RV serial number plate.
The old 300 has the serial number located beneath the flush pedal. The newer units are on the back.
Newer units can also fail--rare to see.
There was no discussion about 310 models, so cannot advise. I've read that early on some 310s were shipped due to no new 300s available?
If you peer down into the opening on the upper backside of the pottie and down where the inner and outer shells meet, if anything other than clean plastic is visible, the seal has failed. An intractable noxious oder is typical also. There is no "approved" repair for internal seal failure.
If your unit proves to have failed, do not tip it while handling. Keep it vertical. There may be nasty fluids inside the shell that will pour out if turned sideways. It's very light and easy to R&R.
Be sure city and pump fresh water are off before removing the supply line.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210914_180323.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	263598Click image for larger version

Name:	20210921_183645.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	263599
JRHERE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, water