Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #1

Waste Water Tanks Leaking

I have a 2013 Columbus 295RL and last year I discovered two small cracks in the bathroom grey tank ( it only leaks when it is 100% full). Both cracks were at the top on the lip that is on the angle iron holding the tank in place I tried to repair with flex repair and jb weld with no success.
This year the cable on the black valve came off and upon removing the belly cover I discovered evidence (wet insulation and small a mounts of waste water in the belly) the black tank leaking as well as the grey water in the kitchen. I filled the tanks with fresh water and surprise both tanks had the same failure as the bathroom grey tank.
I also had some sewer gas issues over the years in the trailer so much so that the lpg alarm would go off. The detector is in the sink island right over the kitchen grey tank. I figure that there was sewer gas leaking from the kitchen grey water tank the first year.
Is there any recourse with the manufacturer or recall on the tanks? I have a RV shop investigating with the manufacturer but no response. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.
jkdbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Team

On a 2013 model you're probably not going to get any relief from the RV or the tank mfg..

Your best bet is to replace both tanks and have some supports added to the framing around them.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #3

before I replaced I would try Flex Tape. There is no pressure on these tanks. Pluse on the reinforcment. Clean well before taping.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #4

Neighbor hit a piece of metal on the interstate this summer and it kicked up, went thru the belly and punched a hole in his FW tank. He used Eternabond tape and fiberglass over the hole and it's held ever since. Even did a 500 mile trip with the tank full....just to see if it would hold...no problems with it.

He first covered the hole with some 1/8th" plastic and used plastic epoxy. Maybe overkill, but it's holding strong.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with Grey Tank#2 on our sabre. We used an ABS take repair kit recommended by our RV dealer Service mgr. It's been leak free for almost 4 years. I've included a pic of the repair kit as well as before & after pics

The repair was very easy compared to dropping the under belly.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS Tank Repair Kit.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	613.1 KB
ID:	193314   Click image for larger version

Name:	0.75 full.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	193317   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310003.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	193318  
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I had a similar problem with Grey Tank#2 on our sabre. We used an ABS take repair kit recommended by our RV dealer Service mgr. It's been leak free for almost 4 years. I've included a pic of the repair kit as well as before & after pics

The repair was very easy compared to dropping the under belly.

Good luck.
X2^^^^^ Id do this before I went to all the trouble and expense to replace the tank.

What have you got to lose by trying it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VersaChem-P...sY8V:rk:2:pf:0
Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

Non of my business,,, but can you afford to train it in ???
If so do it @ a dealer you do not like !!!
CW ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Site Team

My only issue with trying to repair them is this.
Quote:
Both cracks were at the top on the lip that is on the angle iron holding the tank in place
That sounds like the crack is in a structural area. I'd be afraid that the repair wouldn't be strong enough to support a tank full of liquid bouncing down the road. Now if you could add supports that took the load off the lips, then I might try it.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
My only issue with trying to repair them is this.

That sounds like the crack is in a structural area. I'd be afraid that the repair wouldn't be strong enough to support a tank full of liquid bouncing down the road. Now if you could add supports that took the load off the lips, then I might try it.
Agreed.

Cracks at structural points crack because the material isn't strong enough to support the load to begin with.

Repairing the crack, without supporting the load in some other fashion will do nothing but crack again.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

I had a leak in our grey tank and the crack was under the angle iron support bracket We tried the " plastic Tank Repair Kit " , it did not work as my tank is polyethylene and as noted, the kit excludes the poly tank. The patch material did not properly attach itself to the plastic tank and just peeled away after curing.
We then proceeded to " plastic Weld " the tank using a hot air welder with the appropriate plastic welding wire and were very successful as it has held now for three trips to Texas of 1800 miles round trip.
We tested the weld by filling the tank until the water pooled in the bathroom shower which indicated that the tank was full to the max.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
I had a leak in our grey tank and the crack was under the angle iron support bracket We tried the " plastic Tank Repair Kit " , it did not work as my tank is polyethylene and as noted, the kit excludes the poly tank. The patch material did not properly attach itself to the plastic tank and just peeled away after curing.
We then proceeded to " plastic Weld " the tank using a hot air welder with the appropriate plastic welding wire and were very successful as it has held now for three trips to Texas of 1800 miles round trip.
We tested the weld by filling the tank until the water pooled in the bathroom shower which indicated that the tank was full to the max.
GREAT !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, tank, water, water tank