Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Water coming out of low point drains even when valves closed?

Hello everyone...I need your help please. I was de-winterizing my 5th wheel, a 2011 Rockwood 8281SS, when the water line valves on the back of the water heater (not the bypass) are turned and the drain caps are off the low point drains water continues to come out the low point water lines? It does'nt matter what position the valve is in? If I cap the lines out side and the valves are in either position and start the water pump the kitchen faucet leaks at the very top of the handle? I think that since the valve is not closing the line(s) the water is backing up? What position on the valve is open? When it's in line with the water line? Should the valves close the low point drains?
rtrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Low point drains normally don't have shut offs if the have caps.
The caps are the shut offs per say
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Are you using the fresh water tank or the city connection?

At the water heater, the supply (in bottom) and discharge (out top) should be open...that is the valve handles same direction as the water lines. The bypass pass between the supply and discharge should be closed.

If you're on city water, water will come out the cold water low point drain regardless of the valve positions on the water heater. When you open the valves to/from the water heater, water will come out the hot water low point drain. The low points drains are just that...no valves there unless you added them.

The leak at the kitchen faucet I believe is unrelated...still a problem but unrelated to the de-winterizing.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the insight folks. I want to make sure I understand the valve position. Under normal operation (summer) the valves must be in line with the lines themselves. The bypass valve will be opposite correct? With the leak, should I simply replace the faucet?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The low points drains are just that...no valves there unless you added them.
Dave is right on. The caps keep water in the camper's pipes. With the caps off ANY water in the camper's pipes will drain out if there is a way for air to enter. Caps removed and open faucets/flush toilet bypass valves open; and most all the water will drain out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #6

Sorry, I failed to answer your question. I was using the water tank with the water pump on. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrujillo View Post
Thanks for the insight folks. I want to make sure I understand the valve position. Under normal operation (summer) the valves must be in line with the lines themselves. The bypass valve will be opposite correct? With the leak, should I simply replace the faucet?
Here a photo of a 3 valve bypass. The valves are in the "summer" position. If all are opposite; it is in bypass (winter).

Replacing the faucet might be the easiest option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	13040  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Thanks everyone! Can you please advise me on the valve positions on the back of the water heater? I've moved them back and forth so much trying to figure the problem out I don't know what the normal position should be.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #9

I think we posted at the same time Herk! Thank you for the help this is a great resource and everyone is very willing to share thier knowledge!

thank you!