Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

Water drain hose at axle

Good morning guys. New to the community, recently got a used 2017 28DBUD and i had a quick question. There is what looks like a "fresh water" drain hose or something on the right side of the rear axel. when i'm all hooked up water comes out steadily. Of course when i close the valve it stops. I really just don't know what it is. Can anyone inform me what it is? Or what it goes to? Or where i can find a info book?? Thank you guys for the help??
Kingofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:35 AM   #2

Sounds like a low point drain for the plumbing system. Assuming that you are not trying to fill the freshwater tank, which should also have a drain.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:57 AM   #3

This could be a couple of things. Turn off the city water.
First, get under that rig and see if that drain comes from the bottom of the fresh water tank. You should have a red and blue piping that drain the entire system, a white or clear pipe that drains the fresh water tank and an overflow drain which you may not see that is an overflow pipe. The red and blue need to be closed as well as the drain valve at the bottom of the tank.
My concern is that the leaking pipe might be the fresh water tank overflow drain and if that can't drain faster than it's going in the tank might swell.
If you're connecting to city water, that drain should not be leaking water. The water should be directed into the piping not the fresh water tank. Do you have a valve that will change from "city" to "tank" to "normal" or something else? Make certain it's set to 'city' or "normal". You need to shut the valve under the rig.

If your valves are set correctly, then you probably have a stuck check valve that's allowing water to get into the tank. In that case, follow this advice that I stole from HangDiver.
1) Disconnect from City water;
2) Turn on water pump;
3) Open and close water faucets over and over to make the pump run on and off to try and clear debris from the valve;
4) Turn pump off and reconnect to city water.

Let us know if that helps.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you!! I will look into these things.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofhearts View Post
Thank you!! I will look into these things.
Pics are often more helpful than descriptions.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

If it’s one single line it’s likely your fresh water tank drain. They usually put the tanks over the axles to make sure the weight is distributed properly. If it were low point drain drains you’d likely have 2. One for the hot side and one for the cold side. If it is the Fresh water tank drain line it should stop once the tank is completely drained even if your hooked up to the campground water supply.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #7

Hey guys, thank you for the invite. It is the fresh water tank drain. Now that I have that figured out I now know the real issue at hand......when I hook up to city water it is filling my fresh water tank. I have searched high and low and can now find the "bypass valve" that I have read about. Even had someone at the last campsite help me look, we tore the whole rig apart. We ended up just shutting the city water off and using it out of the tank since it was completely full. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #8

You might try this guys fix

https://youtu.be/2ioVnaQjPio
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #9

You normally just have to run the freshwater pump a few times (pumping water not air) with city water disconnected to flush out anything that may be stuck in the check valve inside the pump.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:18 AM   #10

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
You normally just have to run the freshwater pump a few times (pumping water not air) with city water disconnected to flush out anything that may be stuck in the check valve inside the pump.
So while they are camping this weekend and using the pump and fresh water tank as the water source they may solve the problem without even knowing it.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
So while they are camping this weekend and using the pump and fresh water tank as the water source they may solve the problem without even knowing it.
Hopefully!

Tags
drain, water