Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF
Here is what I have.
No Walmart or Depot, for you, least not yet. Now it is proprietary, at least for now. Far East may knock it off. Cover and housing are different.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #82
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Here is what I have.
Any camper I've ever had has had the filter you picture.

Which is why we all had a difference of opinions.

Cheers!


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #83
Member
 
larrys2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Westlake, LA
Posts: 55
My new Rockwood 2503S has the internal filter housing near the water pump. The filter that goes in it came separately inside the camper. I can't seem to get the housing to unscrew to put the filter in it. The special wrench was with the filter so I took it for granted that this tool would unscrew the housing. Is there a trick to this?
larrys2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #84
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys2112 View Post
My new Rockwood 2503S has the internal filter housing near the water pump. The filter that goes in it came separately inside the camper. I can't seem to get the housing to unscrew to put the filter in it. The special wrench was with the filter so I took it for granted that this tool would unscrew the housing. Is there a trick to this?
No trick - but a few suggestions:

1. Make you are turning the wrench in the correct direction - righty tightly and lefty loosely.

2. Hold the canister receptacle with one hand while turning the canister wrench.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys2112 View Post
My new Rockwood 2503S has the internal filter housing near the water pump. The filter that goes in it came separately inside the camper. I can't seem to get the housing to unscrew to put the filter in it. The special wrench was with the filter so I took it for granted that this tool would unscrew the housing. Is there a trick to this?
Hold the housing with something so its not broken off its mount. Its very spongy. Strong even pressure, maybe warm the bowl at the thread with a hair dryer as much as you can warm, it will pop.

Use a small amount of Silicon grease on the gasket when you put it back, never freeze again.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
OL Creeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In our CC.
Posts: 646
I was advised by friends, after getting our 2013, Mini Lite, to discard the filter insert in the rig and use only an external (Camco) blue filter. The reason is that you get filtered water and a good pressure.
__________________
Alan, Kathy & Cooper the camping cat
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS
2013 GMC 2500 Denali
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #87
Member
 
larrys2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Westlake, LA
Posts: 55
Thanks. I'm definitely leaning to the exterior Camco filter. I don't think I'm going to concern myself with the interior filter anymore.
larrys2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #88
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
I was advised by friends, after getting our 2013, Mini Lite, to discard the filter insert in the rig and use only an external (Camco) blue filter. The reason is that you get filtered water and a good pressure.
Keep in mind those camco inline water filters are between 100 to 150 micron filters campared to the 5 micron filters in the canister.
With those camco filters your not filtering much.
I really don't notice the flow difference.

Just an fyi


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #89
Member
 
larrys2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Westlake, LA
Posts: 55
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Turb!!
larrys2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #90
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys2112 View Post
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Turb!!
I know sometimes there a bear to change but I change my 5 micron half way through season.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,030
If you want a 5 micro filter to be mounted outside, you could get a whole house filter(the same as inside the trailer) and have it outside of the unit. They make holder to sit the filter in when outside.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #92
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you want a 5 micro filter to be mounted outside, you could get a whole house filter(the same as inside the trailer) and have it outside of the unit. They make holder to sit the filter in when outside.
Correct you are.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #93
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
How would I know which replacement water filter to purchase for a 2005 Forester? When it was dewinterized, a new filter was not added so I don't know what numbers to use to get another one to add it again. We have REALLY bad well water to use in our RV and will need a filter.
JSRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #94
Member
 
redsuspenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 43
First thing when we got our new roo was take out the interior filter. Left all the lines in same location and just put in a pex barb to reconnect line.
We have never had one before, so I don't see the point now.
redsuspenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #95
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSRob
How would I know which replacement water filter to purchase for a 2005 Forester? When it was dewinterized, a new filter was not added so I don't know what numbers to use to get another one to add it again. We have REALLY bad well water to use in our RV and will need a filter.
Its most likely 10" or 5" length, diameter per mfg but you measure your bowl for what will fit. Most have same gasketed ends.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #96
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Its most likely 10" or 5" length, diameter per mfg but you measure your bowl for what will fit. Most have same gasketed ends.
I think my canister has a pt. Number for filter right on it.
Culligan filters work fine.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
bob213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,358
You need to watch the flow rates of the filter you purchase. Filters from Home Depot or Lowes will work fine at filtering but can have a lower flow rate than a filter designed for an RV. If water is being pumped via your water pump this can make an even bigger difference. I bypassed my original so it no longer is served by the water pump. It's mounted outside and only filters water from the city connection. Here's some higher flow filters (although more expensive)
RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
and here's the original that came in my FR trailer:
http://www.flowpur.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=RVF
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
You need to watch the flow rates of the filter you purchase. Filters from Home Depot or Lowes will work fine at filtering but can have a lower flow rate than a filter designed for an RV.
Why would a Home Depot whole-house filter have a lower flow rate than an RV filter? I don't believe it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,504
The micron rating denotes flow rate not the brand or place u buy it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Why would a Home Depot whole-house filter have a lower flow rate than an RV filter? I don't believe it.
X2 as long as they are the same Micron#. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.