Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #61

I don't think we have a water filter. I bought the one that goes on the outside of the RV and just ordered a little Culligan one that goes on the kitchen faucet itself.

We use a Zero Water machine in the house and it is probably the best on the market. We could bring that, but it takes up so much room and the cartridges are very expensive.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #62
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Different brand and probably different filtration level, but it was as cheap as they had.
The d-10 level 1 filters are 5 micron!
Those wonky camco outside hose filters are 100 micron use decide which one filters better.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #63
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
This is an example of an outside filter.

Camco in-line water filter
This one is 150 microns .....
If your going to have a filter at-least get a micron rating down to 20
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
This one is 150 microns .....
If your going to have a filter at-least get a micron rating down to 20
Certianly good advice. But I have no problems with campground water, other than the taste.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Certianly good advice. But I have no problems with campground water, other than the taste.
Here's an fyi.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=125
Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #66

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Where have you located a source of purchasing the filter? I called WaterPur and they refer me to Forest River. I am currently having difficulty in Forest River identifying the cartridge to ship me. Thanks for any information you may offer.

Today< I identified the replacement cartridge number, when buying from Forest River. The number 10-15823A is for the correct filter. I was quoted a price of $22.00 each, from my dealer. In regards to several prior posts, I disagree you can buy the "correct" filter at Lowes, etc. Their filters do not have the correct male extension on the filter top, which contains an O-ring! Trying to save a buck is not always a viable pursuit!
l001952119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I respectfully disagree
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #68

Quote:
Today< I identified the replacement cartridge number, when buying from Forest River. The number 10-15823A is for the correct filter. I was quoted a price of $22.00 each, from my dealer. In regards to several prior posts, I disagree you can buy the "correct" filter at Lowes, etc. Their filters do not have the correct male extension on the filter top, which contains an O-ring! Trying to save a buck is not always a viable pursuit!
Actually, the filter housing holds the o'ring, the casing top or manifold is fitted with the boss squeezing the o'ring for the seal. I lost it briefly one time, I'll never forget how it doesn't work without it.

And the filter cardridge is 30+ from the maker, suspect the dealer is going to Walmart!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Actually, the filter housing holds the o'ring, the casing top or manifold is fitted with the boss squeezing the o'ring for the seal. I lost it briefly one time, I'll never forget how it doesn't work without it.

And the filter cardridge is 30+ from the maker, suspect the dealer is going to Walmart!
Some people never believe in others! I will post the exact cost of the filters when I pay for them. IF you are more comfortable buying filters, other than at the dealer, please do so. Your comments are not productive!
l001952119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #70
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Speaking of "o" rings, have we heard back from the person who couldn't stop his water filter canister from leaking?

He posted last night.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #71
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not that I seen
Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #72

Quote:
Some people never believe in others! I will post the exact cost of the filters when I pay for them. IF you are more comfortable buying filters, other than at the dealer, please do so. Your comments are not productive!
You're correct, aint' disbelievin. I'm holding a receipt of a phone order with Water Pur, with gent who claimed he was owner. Price last October was $30, correct part # is CCI=10-CA. The 10" is the same as Walmart and the others difference is in filter output quality. WP are near lab spec output according to their specs. I was told by them that they are the only supplier of these filters, call 1800 540-1055.

There are gaskets on the filter cartridge they seal top and bottom against the housing. The o'ring in the picture you posted clearly shows the only o'ring. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #73

On the WaterPur housing it states "This housing NOT compatible with any other replacement cartridge." I believe this is true as I have never seen a housing like theirs in my 25 years in the water business. The nipple that is molded into the top of the filter is a unique way of sealing the filter. I don't believe you will find these at Walmart, Lowes, etc. Any filter purchased without the nipple will likely not seal properly and simply bypass the raw water. Since I received this special housing and filter with my new tt I will use the first year and replace it with a "standard" filter housing that will accept "standard" cartridges found at the box stores. They are less expensive and will meet or exceed NSF and Water Quality Association guidelines. Other than the unique o'ring seal there is nothing special about the WaterPur filter in my opinion. Remember the smaller the micron rating the quicker the filter will plug. A minimum of 30 is adequate. For taste and odor, don't worry about the micron rating, just put in a carbon filter.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #74
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
On the WaterPur housing it states "This housing NOT compatible with any other replacement cartridge." I believe this is true as I have never seen a housing like theirs in my 25 years in the water business. The nipple that is molded into the top of the filter is a unique way of sealing the filter. I don't believe you will find these at Walmart, Lowes, etc. Any filter purchased without the nipple will likely not seal properly and simply bypass the raw water. Since I received this special housing and filter with my new tt I will use the first year and replace it with a "standard" filter housing that will accept "standard" cartridges found at the box stores. They are less expensive and will meet or exceed NSF and Water Quality Association guidelines. Other than the unique o'ring seal there is nothing special about the WaterPur filter in my opinion. Remember the smaller the micron rating the quicker the filter will plug. A minimum of 30 is adequate. For taste and odor, don't worry about the micron rating, just put in a carbon filter.
If I was wanting to stay in business I'd put not compatible with other products on my label as well
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF
John, opened mine today, not sure what you mean by the fitting on top of the housing? The filter is similat to an oil filter, flows through outside into the core and out. The nipple is not tight to the surounding gasket. More like a guide. The cardridge can be inserted either way, up or down. Believe the discount house 10" filters can and do work, lots here use them even if quality is lesser than Water Pur, maybevthats the reason for the warning. Maybe they re-invented the unit recently?
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #76

Your filter must be different than mine. You can't reverse the filter in my housing. And there is nothing in the WaterPur specs that has me believe they are any better than the box store filters. Keep in mind that replacement filters for a "standard" housing can be ordered from Amazon with a lot of different specifications.

If I could drag a photo to this post I would. It would clear up what I have. It appears I must have a URL address to do so.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #77

Must be different filters as mine is similar to what was described by VinceU and allows the standard 10" filter.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF
Your filter must be different than mine. You can't reverse the filter in my housing. And there is nothing in the WaterPur specs that has me believe they are any better than the box store filters. Keep in mind that replacement filters for a "standard" housing can be ordered from Amazon with a lot of different specifications.

If I could drag a photo to this post I would. It would clear up what I have. It appears I must have a URL address to do so.
They do make others, can't tell details from examples online. I disassembled my first example last year., one thing of note- the carbon bonded into a cylinder is extremely fine, probably 1/30 the size of a typical Brita water filter I've seen.
As for filtration the chlorine absorbtion and 5 or 10 micron passing rating are quite good, better than necessary ( It is regulated as potable water in 99% of campgrounds) isn't it?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #79

Here is what I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07866.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	28490  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #80

That is not what I have or what my filters look like. Pictures really do help make a difference.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote