Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #41

See that now.. I have the CCI-5-CLW12.......That's got to be unnerving waiting for that time bomb to go off.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #42

Water Filter issue and any other concerns...

We just bought a 2014 2809W Windjammer yesterday 6-28-14. It is nice to know ahead of time of this potential problem. We pick up our rig in a couple of weeks and I will be on the lookout! Any need to knows or suggestions for a newbie travel trailer owner in general or specifics to these trailers is much appreciated...
h82quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #43
WFD

With all the incidents of people having trouble and the damage it can create I dont know why one would even wait to remove it. We took delivery of our trailer this spring and before even de-winterizing it, I removed the filter assembly and went with an exterior one.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by h82quit View Post
We just bought a 2014 2809W Windjammer yesterday 6-28-14. It is nice to know ahead of time of this potential problem. We pick up our rig in a couple of weeks and I will be on the lookout! Any need to knows or suggestions for a newbie travel trailer owner in general or specifics to these trailers is much appreciated...
If your trailer has the problem filter in it you should ask the dealer to remove it.
Get one of the blue filters that Walmart sells or do something like this.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #45

The filter canister I removed from FR product was a Flo Pur that looked like this one but without the hose fittings. https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index....roducts_id=507 The installed fitting had a leak but there was nothing wrong with the filter and housing. As for unscrewing itself, after it was tightened, you could hardly remove the filter housing even with the filter wrench.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #46

Mine did the unscrewing trick, I pulled that thing off and trashed it, I installed a GE Watersmart filter for cheaper than a replacement factory cartridge.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #47
happy camper

Add us to the list...

Yup, it happened to us, for the SECOND TIME, over the July 4th weekend. My husband heard the "thunk" of the filter falling, followed by the sound of running water.

It gets worse.

He raced through the center bathroom in the dark (4:30am), and ran SMACK into the bathroom door (the narrow edge side -- not the big flat side ). Bloody nose. Blood everywhere. He's lucky he didn't break his nose. He managed to get the water shut off quickly though, so thankfully there wasn't a lot of water damage. (While all of this happened, I pretty much managed to sit up in bed, turn on a light, and mumble "What's happening?"... )

The first time it happened was on our first trip of the season, in mid-May. We mopped up, and took the trailer (a 2014 Windjammer 3008W that we bought in June 2013) over to the repair shop. Their diagnosis was that we hadn't tightened the unit properly, by using the provided wrench. (Wrong!)

We, along with the repair shop, were very interested to learn that this is a known issue. The RV dealer has a call in to Forest River, and we're waiting to learn how they're going to take care of this. Meanwhile, the trailer is sitting out in the sunshine, with all the windows open and fans running inside. This time, because of the way the trailer was situated at the camp site, most of the water ran back to the bedroom and under the bed. Trying to get it dried out now.
Mary Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #48

That sucks!! We got hit twice also but luckily we are in a hot dry area so we were able to dry out. We have the filter rigged now with the wrench on it yo keep from twisting off. Set to take into dealer in August and they are going to bypass the filter for us and replace all the underbelly insulation. Still concerned though about how the linoleum floor and sub floor are going to react in the future (ie separate).
soldanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #49

Seeing this makes me nervous. We pick up our new TT tomorrow. I will definitely be finding this filter as soon as I get home and rigging it up to not move until I can get it out after our first trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #50

After reading all the stories about the filters, I just removed it from the trailer. On our 23ss it's mounted inside a cabinet that's normally screwed shut. It is now on a pvc stand and will sit outside. I'll use that filter this season and change to our whole house filter that we've previously used, cartridges are much cheaper anyway.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #51

We will use this for a bit more comfort while deciding whether to bypass our water filter.
m.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838.com
It seems to work well - costs around $10, the battery lasts a long time, it is sensitive to small amounts of water, and it makes a bunch of noise.
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey9712 View Post
Seeing this makes me nervous. We pick up our new TT tomorrow. I will definitely be finding this filter as soon as I get home and rigging it up to not move until I can get it out after our first trip.

During your PDI make sure you have the tech show youwhere your water filter is (in a lot of Rockwoods, it is behind a screwed shut door!)

First mod I did was remove that special hinge and put in a "normal" door closure! now I can access that area of the RV easily (WHY they lock this door down is beyond me, it is also the access point to our HWT bypass valves!)

Anyway, there is also a special trick that our PDI tech showed us when you change filters. First that goofy looking piece of plactic that you will have in your owner's bag? Well THAT is the filter wrench and if you do not use it you will have similar woes as mentioed above.

Trick is to screw on the new filter hand tight, put the filter wrench on the filter, push UP from the bottem of the filter and tighten with the wrench. You will hear a click-pop - that is the sound of the filter seating securely.

Oh, and a little (really a LITTLE ) vasaline on the ring seal was another tip passed on to us by the PDI Tech.

Hope this helps!

OH and download the PDI checklist from the forums before you go pick up your unit tomorrow!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry2some View Post
We will use this for a bit more comfort while deciding whether to bypass our water filter.
m.homedepot.com/p/Basement-Watchdog-Battery-Operated-Water-Alarm-BWD-HWA/100038838.com
It seems to work well - costs around $10, the battery lasts a long time, it is sensitive to small amounts of water, and it makes a bunch of noise.
It better have a Auto Water Shutoff included with it! When the Alarm goes off and you go outside to shut off the Hydrant the (Damage) is already (Done)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #54

I checked and I have the same type of water filter. It's on it's way out, so which way do I turn the black thing? I am afraid I will strip something. Attachment 57872

Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
It better have a Auto Water Shutoff included with it! When the Alarm goes off and you go outside to shut off the Hydrant the (Damage) is already (Done)! Youroo!!
Um...notsosure...I went out and bought one yesterday myself and the damp detectors are pretty sensitive. Most water leaks start with just a few drops or dribble (which freaks this alarm out BTW..I tested it and it IS loud! )

Unless it is a explosive water leak then you are just plain screwed and I hope your insurance is paid up

Anyhow, for $10 it demonstrated due dilligence which I think would make a good case for any insurance claim
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter