Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

water filter question

I recently had a small leak on the "in " side of my filter. It is a PUR brand with a plastic cap and then a clear canister that is threaded onto the cap. So in trying to reair the leak, I ruined the cap by crossthreading the brass fitting (line in) into the cap.
So my question is, I have gotten a new cap in the mail today and am inquiring......where the brass fitting screws into the plastic lid of the filter (on both the in and out sides).....should I use thread tape on the brass fittting or not. I am not a plummer so I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is on when to use thread tape and when not to. I know not to use it on pressure fittings, but not sure this is a pressure fitting.
Thanks for the help.....Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #2

If your cap fittings have rubber washers inside them, you shouldn't have to use tape. A good hand tightening should be all that's required.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

' don't see any rubber washers inside
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
If your cap fittings have rubber washers inside them, you shouldn't have to use tape. A good hand tightening should be all that's required.
That's generally just a rule of thumb. I'm not familiar with your type of filter. Maybe someone else can jump in...

Good luck.
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter