Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Water Filtration and Pressure Reg

I plan to install a 2 stage Dupont WFPF13003B Whole House Filtration system to my TT.

The first stage will have either be :
a Dupont 10 micron (5gpm) 500 series Poly Block sediment or Aquaboon 1 micron (5gpm) for sediment

2nd Stage will be CFB-PB10 1/2 micron (5gpm?) charcoal filter for odor and taste

and the system will have a Renator M11-066R pressure regulator , replacing the campo $9 version

I have two questions:

Would you place the regulator at the end (just before the city hookup on TT)
or at the campsite water source end?

What micron and gpm filters have you found to be optimum?
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

You probably wont need the regulator.After you go through all those filters,you'll need all the pressure you can get. Filters will cut it way down. Happens on S&B plumbing,so it will on your camper.Try it both ways and choose yourself.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #3

rookie posting error...

I think that I should have posted in plumbing forum.

maybe one of the Mods can correct my rookie user mistake

Sorry and thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #4

Having same thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
You probably wont need the regulator.After you go through all those filters,you'll need all the pressure you can get. Filters will cut it way down. Happens on S&B plumbing,so it will on your camper.Try it both ways and choose yourself.
Thanks Dave & Sue,

that is sort a where my head is....so I was thinking putting the adjustable reg
at the TT and then if not needed adjust to max (equal to available) and if pressure is too high , with filters in-place, adj to 50 psi??
Old 04-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
Thanks Dave & Sue,

that is sort a where my head is....so I was thinking putting the adjustable reg
at the TT and then if not needed adjust to max (equal to available) and if pressure is too high , with filters in-place, adj to 50 psi??
I can't help with the filters but I like to have the pressure regulator be the first thing at the campground spigot if possible, to protect all hoses and fittings from high pressure. I blew the flex hose off an in line filter two days ago. It was upstream of the regulator.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
I think that I should have posted in plumbing forum.

maybe one of the Mods can correct my rookie user mistake

Sorry and thanks
No problem. Done. This is no where near the strangest thread move I've made today!

For "opinions" on the order of fresh water parts, see this recent thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...up-132178.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #7

Depending on the filter design some can seriously restrict water flow. My best
suggestion is to check the pressure before and after the filters and calculate the drop. When you set up after that, attach you're regulator at the spigot and add the drop to whatever psi setting you are comfortable with.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #8

When considering pressure regulation, it should be remembered that the system pressure will stabilize at the incoming pressure regardless of the flow restrictions (e.g. water filters) in the line when flow stops. If the goal of regulation is to protect the plumbing system from damage, that pressure needs to be established without regard to flow restrictions.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #9

That is true, I was thinking of flow when water is in use.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #10

Got it...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiveWell View Post
When considering pressure regulation, it should be remembered that the system pressure will stabilize at the incoming pressure regardless of the flow restrictions (e.g. water filters) in the line when flow stops. If the goal of regulation is to protect the plumbing system from damage, that pressure needs to be established without regard to flow restrictions.
Dr. iveWell,

Got the pressure stabilizing at incoming....but would you place the reg before or after the flow restriction.....I am not concerned with the hose and filters, primary objective max safe flow/pressure with filtered water.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

I wouldn't worry too much about the hoses and connections between the spigot and the camper... the main goal of the pressure regulator (for me at least) is to protect the plumbing INSIDE the camper.

After all, if you get a hose leak outside its not a big deal, but a leak inside could total the camper. And its unlikely that the water pressure will fail a hose, unless the hose is already about to fail anyway. I'm mostly worried about all the PEX and threaded connections inside the camper.

I always put my pressure regulator AFTER the filter... that way if the filter starts to reduce pressure (as it fills up with particles) you don't have a further reduction in water pressure in the camper.

I plumbed my house in the same way (we are close to the main line so we had very high pressure)... I put in a filter and then the regulator.
mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water