Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #1

Water flow valve question

Just de-winterized my 2020 Geo Pro and flushed all of the antifreeze out. Switched over the #1 valve (see photo) to hot water tank and fired up the heater. Ran hot water at sink and nothing coming out. At that point I realized that I had no idea what the heck I was doing and decided to return the trailer….just kidding.

I find valve settings very confusing. I seem to have three, #1 at the top of the heater, #2 at the bottom, and #3 going where I don’t know. I’ve checked the owners manual and it provides me no clue. Online searches only confuse me more. So I’m wondering if another Geo Pro owner can help me out. I’ve labeled these valves in the photo and would like to know which to open or shut for proper usage.

Plan on heading out for our first trip in a week but really need some help on this. Any assistance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4850207-15BA-4F61-84E3-F073A60D054D.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	252815  
joesaintp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #2

#1 and #2 are currently set in bypass mode. The water flows the direction the handles are pointed, so to use the water heater, the handles need to point towards the water heater. Valve #3 is likely a valve that selects an auxiliary suction line to the water pump used for sucking antifreeze into the pump to pump it through the plumbing system.

From the top of valve #3 there is a hose that comes forward in the picture? What is that hose attached to? If it is just open on one end, that is the hose to put into a bottle/bucket of anti-freeze, and valve #3 is in the wrong position for normal operation.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Just as confused as you

#1 is the hot water bypass outlet from the water heater. In your picture it is set for bypass. Turn the handle so it's pointing at the HW for normal use.

#2 is the cold water bypass inlet to the water heater. The handle needs to be turned towards the WH so cold water from the city water connection or fresh water tank via the water pump can fill the water heater. If you have city water connected you do not want to run the water pump.

#3 is most likely the antifreeze inlet for winterizing the water system, this needs to be turned towards the FW tank so the WP can pull water into the plumbing. Turn this valve the other way to suck antifreeze from a jug for winterizing your plumbing.

The clear plastic cup in your hand is for the water filter, make sure the o-ring is in good condition and in place so there is not a leak. You can use vaseline to lubricate the o-ring.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

The big water filter is usually on the discharge side of the water pump so that it filters both city water and on-board fresh water sources. There is tiny little screen usually attached directly to the inlet side of water that does need to be checked for cleanliness and tightness occasionally.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

I don’t know where valve #3 goes but I do have an exterior connection opening on the exterior wall labeled “antifreeze feed” or something like that. If this is the case then it should be shut and both #1 and #2 should point perpendicular to their lines and towards the water heater tank to operate then correct?
joesaintp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesaintp View Post
I don’t know where valve #3 goes but I do have an exterior connection opening on the exterior wall labeled “antifreeze feed” or something like that. If this is the case then it should be shut and both #1 and #2 should point perpendicular to their lines and towards the water heater tank to operate then correct?
Correct. Valve #3 will be the selector on the inlet side of the water pump. In one position will will suck water in from the fresh water tank. In the other position it will suck in whatever is connected to the antifreeze feed connection. Valves 1 and 2 should point towards the water heater. Then fill your fw tank at least 1/3 full, install at least the bowl onto the water filter housing, and turn on the water pump. Open a hot water faucet. In a few minutes it should fill the water filter, then the water heater, then water should start coming out the hot water faucet.

If after a few minutes, if the pump sounds like it is running with no load, and you still have no water, then likely valve #3 is in the wrong position and you are sucking air in through the antifreeze connection. The pump will not be damaged by sucking air for a few minutes, no worries there.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

Oh and don't turn on gas or electric to the water heater until you have good steady flow of water out of the hot water faucet!

Tags
valve, water, water flow