Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Water Heater

I have a 2012 Wildwood. Unsure of the make of the water heater.

My problem is that when I switch the water heater on from the inside of the camper the red light does not even come on. I know it can be used both gas/electric. We have tried both way to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, the tank was full when we attempted the first time. Dealer said it worked when we bought it 2 yrs ago. We have just never attempted to turn it on.
jpalmer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

Not sure if your specifics but I'd check if there is a breaker / fuse for electric side of the water heater. There is also an igniter when on propane. If it is electric and propane there is probably a switch that is locked inside the water heater compartment that is needed to have it run in electric only. That is locked since you can burn out the element pretty fast if run on electric and tank is empty.

Could be just the light on the switch as well. Have someone switch it on while listening by the heater to see if you can hear anything.

Just my initial thoughts.
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport Toad
2015 Harley CVO (retirement bike )
2015 Challenger ( Wife's Toy)
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmer2013 View Post
I have a 2012 Wildwood. Unsure of the make of the water heater.

My problem is that when I switch the water heater on from the inside of the camper the red light does not even come on. I know it can be used both gas/electric. We have tried both way to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Yes, the tank was full when we attempted the first time. Dealer said it worked when we bought it 2 yrs ago. We have just never attempted to turn it on.
Howdy jpalmer, start at this link below and see if you may have the Suburban brand water heater. We can go from there, after you confirm the brand and maybe the winterization valves (post #3)...all explained in the linked thread. You want to make sure there is actually water in the tank (post #1)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Yes! that is what mine looks like. there is no ticking when the switch is on that would indicate an attempt at firing. which in turn, from what I have read on here, the light should be on.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Yes! that is what mine looks like. there is no ticking when the switch is on that would indicate an attempt at firing. which in turn, from what I have read on here, the light should be on.
OK, as per the link provided earlier, please confirm there is water in the tank itself by briefly flipping up the temperature and pressure relief valve on the front of the tank. If water comes out, we know the tank has water in it and can proceed. If not, stop here.

If water is in the tank, check and see if the Emergency Cut Off (ECO)/tstats have tripped. This sometimes happens. These will be underneath the rubber covers (labeled RESET) very near the temperature and pressure relief valve discussed above. Just press in on the rubber cover round parts to reset these, if tripped.

This pic may help. The left reset is for the electric water heater element. The right reset is for the propane side.

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

Tried the reset buttons as well with no change.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Tried the reset buttons as well with no change.
Does your stove (if equipped) work? The reason I ask this is to make sure propane is reaching the appliances.

However, even if no propane is reaching it, you still should get an attempted lighting sequence of events.

Have you turned off the switch to the water heater inside your RV, and then back on after a brief time, to reset any possibly lockouts?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #8

yes as well as the refrigerator will work on propane
Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
clr

Did you insure the switch outside on the water heater is ON. The switch is on the left side sort of behind the gas valve as shown in the pictures. This switch has to be on for the water heater to work, if this switch is on then turn on the inside switch and the red DSI light should come on until the water heater lights. The DSI will try three times to light the water heater if it does not light the red light will remain on and you will have to turn the inside water heater switch off and then back on to try and relight the water heater.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

yes the switch outside is on as well as the inside. so if I am correct on of either gas or electric should kick on. the red light on the inside switch does not come on at all.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Did you insure the switch outside on the water heater is ON. The switch is on the left side sort of behind the gas valve as shown in the pictures. This switch has to be on for the water heater to work,
clr, that switch is ONLY for the electric heating element on the Suburban water heater. It has no effect whatsoever on the gas/propane side.

It's all explained in the link provided earlier.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
yes the switch outside is on as well as the inside. so if I am correct on of either gas or electric should kick on. the red light on the inside switch does not come on at all.
Have you verified there is water in the tank, via the temp and pressure relief valve. Is the water that comes out of this valve hot by any chance?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
I'm trying to not muck up the waters here as the OP is getting some good advice but be certain what is being asked and answered on the question I highlighted above.

Many units have a lighted switch with an additional DSL light next to it to warn of the heater not lighting. The switch itself might light up... even if there is a problem. On the other hand, if it is a lighted switch that doesn't light up, it could indicate a problem with the 12v supply to the water heater circuit.

Have any voltages been verified throughout the system?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
clr

Sounds like it may be time to check the breakers and fuses for a blown fuse or tripped breaker.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater