Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our current trailer is the first trailer we have owned that has a water heater that is both electric & propane..... I tend to leave it on gas just habit... It uses so little gas that I don't tend to think about it. If it were not for the furnace just using gas for the stove, grill, oven & water heater I usually only refill the tanks once a season.... Didn't think about the 30A service think I may just leave it on gas......

Found out today with my EMS panel meter that when in electric mode my 10 gal DSI water heater draws 11-12 amps.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Found out today with my EMS panel meter that when in electric mode my 10 gal DSI water heater draws 11-12 amps.
whoa. I had no idea it would be that high!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
whoa. I had no idea it would be that high!
Me either but after I showered last night it kicked on again"electric" only and was 12 amps draw according to the EMS Led panel.
Converter was drawing one amp before that.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When it warms up here next week I'm going to go through all my device's and chart there amp usage so I have a guide as to what all my things run for gennie use.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Me either but after I showered last night it kicked on again"electric" only and was 12 amps draw according to the EMS Led panel.
Converter was drawing one amp before that.
Wow, that's efficient! Imagine a home water heater drawing 90 amps? (10X larger) Maybe time to locate a close by supplier of propane who delivers......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Wow, that's efficient! Imagine a home water heater drawing 90 amps? (10X larger) Maybe time to locate a close by supplier of propane who delivers......
I have a 1000 gallon tank full on site.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
DDC

I always use both, but remember to switch the electric off before you plug the trailer in at the post so you don't get arcing,
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I always use both, but remember to switch the electric off before you plug the trailer in at the post so you don't get arcing,
With an Ems system you don't have to worry about that.
As there is a delay after plugging cord in before power is applied to the camper.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I was told a long time ago to turn off the breaker at the post before plugging in.

Would that prevent this arcing?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I was told a long time ago to turn off the breaker at the post before plugging in.

Would that prevent this arcing?
Yes, turning off breaker at the post is recommended practice. I turn off before I unplug as well.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

I have a 1000 gallon tank full on site.
Wow is that water or propane?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #32

First time with an RV that had both electric and propane as a heating choice..

So, if you have both electric and propane turned, what will the water heater use to warm the water. Electric or propane or use both at the same time?

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Propane !
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdydog77 View Post
First time with an RV that had both electric and propane as a heating choice..

So, if you have both electric and propane turned, what will the water heater use to warm the water. Electric or propane or use both at the same time?
Electric if your on shore power
Gas if your not on shore power
Both at the same time for quicker recovery when taking showers "while hooked to shore power" of course.

If both are turned on with shore power they will both work together.

Turbs
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Electric if your on shore power
Gas if your not on shore power
Both at the same time for quicker recovery when taking showers "while hooked to shore power" of course.

If both are turned on with shore power they will both work together.

Turbs
Expounding just a hair on Turbs great answer:

The propane side heats water quicker than the electric heating element side.

If you turned them both on at the same time initially, when all the water in the tank is cold, they both start heating the water. Once the water get's to it's hot temperature, the thermostat for the propane and the thermostat for the heating element will turn off each prospective side.

The electric heating element will now usually be all that is required to keep the water hot in the tank during standby times....so propane won't turn itself on.

However, once you start taking a shower, washing dishes or something else that requires hot water........as the temperature inside the hot water heater drops from hot water leaving and cold water entering to replace it...then the electric heating element will come on.

If the propane sides thermostat senses too much of a temperature drop, it will also turn the propane burner on too, in essence giving the system a faster boost to heat the water again. The propane side will stay on as long as required to heat the water again to it's set temperature till the thermostat senses it and turns it off again.

So if you have them both turned on, the system will use either one or both together as needed....according to each sides thermostats.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
So if you have them both turned on, the system will use either one or both together as needed....according to each sides thermostats.
Personally, if I'm on shore power, I don't want it to do that (in general). Electric is free. Propane isn't (even if it doesn't use much).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #37
B47

Quote:
Not uncommon to see that large of a propane tank in rural areas. They are seen often around here in small ranches and buildings where they are no underground pipelines.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Personally, if I'm on shore power, I don't want it to do that (in general). Electric is free. Propane isn't (even if it doesn't use much).
Very true. However on 30 amp rigs, using the electric heating element (9-13 amps average) can limit you on other things. You usually can never run the air-conditioner, microwave, and electric heating element at the same time.

It's all just a tradeoff, and everyone has to decide for themselves what they want to save in propane costs vs expending energy to turn other AC powered things off when using the heating element.

I think everyone here who is experienced with 30 amp rigs, already know what they can and cannot use at the same time...and thus have adjusted their camping lifestyles to fit.

I use the electric heating element until it's my turn in our camping group to host the party/dinner. I then turn it off while we are cooking, browsing TV, playing cards, etc. to keep from tripping a breaker.

Once the party leaves, I turn the electric heating element back on. Works for my needs, but may not for anyone else's.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
Denver, CO

Quote:
The electric hot water heaters have a dedicated 220 volt 50 amp ( or 60) breaker. The size is determined by hot fast it needs to heater the water, which is always slower than the usage rate. That's why long showers always eventually run you out of water home or rv. It just happens faster in the RV cause of the long tank.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Very true. However on 30 amp rigs, using the electric heating element (9-13 amps average) can limit you on other things. You usually can never run the air-conditioner, microwave, and electric heating element at the same time.

It's all just a tradeoff, and everyone has to decide for themselves what they want to save in propane costs vs expending energy to turn other AC powered things off when using the heating element.

I think everyone here who is experienced with 30 amp rigs, already know what they can and cannot use at the same time...and thus have adjusted their camping lifestyles to fit.

I use the electric heating element until it's my turn in our camping group to host the party/dinner. I then turn it off while we are cooking, browsing TV, playing cards, etc. to keep from tripping a breaker.

Once the party leaves, I turn the electric heating element back on. Works for my needs, but may not for anyone else's.
I posted last week .

Electric heating element for water heater and a/c running on high blower was drawing 22 amps, I belive which will go higher obviously on a hot humid day.