Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

Water Heater: electric or propane

Last week we stayed at a campground and were hooked up to the E/W/S. We have the option of switching our water heater to electric and did not know if we should do that and leave it on for the couple of days we were there or stay on the propane for heating the water? The electric comes with the site, so makes me think we should be switching to that. Any thoughts?

RVFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Most of the time I use the electric and save money on Propane. If you need hot water fast, you can start on propane and then switch to electric. I figure that I am paying for the Electric site so may as well use that. Hope this helps.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Graduate Member

x2 we do electric and only turn on the propane when we actually are showering in order to heat the water faster. And actually, we only turn on the propane part of the heater as a supplement when the temps are low.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

So if I go to electric for the hot water heater, I can just leave that on all weekend and through the night to have hot water as needed, right?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFamily5 View Post
So if I go to electric for the hot water heater, I can just leave that on all weekend and through the night to have hot water as needed, right?
Yes, you are correct.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Graduate Member

Quote:
yep.

here's teh quick intro to hot water on an RV:
1) RV water heaters have two heating elements; electric and propane
2) elements can be used in any combo - elect/no prop; no elect/prop; both
3) propane heats quicker 20-30 min, elect slower at an hourish or more
4)ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS turn on your water BEFORE turning on the electric element
5) electric elements burn out in 8 seconds if turned on with no water in the water heater

yep...that about covers it.
2012 - 26 days

Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Last week we stayed at a campground and were hooked up to the E/W/S. We have the option of switching our water heater to electric and did not know if we should do that and leave it on for the couple of days we were there or stay on the propane for heating the water? The electric comes with the site, so makes me think we should be switching to that. Any thoughts?
Using electric will save propane, but not much. We camped 3+ months in FL using both and the propane gage hardly moved and we use the stove and outside bbq grill. Been the same the last 4 yrs. We filled the 2-30# tanks on our old trailer when we got it new and snowbirded 4 yrs and didn't use a 30# cyl in the 4 yrs. Frig was on propane also. The furnace is the BIG user. It will suck a 30# cyl dry in 4 or 5 days using it when temps get down in the 30's & 40's.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
One more thing to keep in mind is that the electric water heater element does use a few amps to run (can average 9-13 amps). If you have a 30 amp RV, you have to be mindful of how many amps you are using as you are limited to basically 30 amps total.

If you start tripping breakers because of overload, just turn the water heater element off. You may need to when running microwaves, air-conditioning, etc.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #9

Great tips! Thanks.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

elect has an element rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post

but
the propane is not an element
just a hot flame

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
One more thing to keep in mind is that the electric water heater element does use a few amps to run (can average 9-13 amps). If you have a 30 amp RV, you have to be mindful of how many amps you are using as you are limited to basically 30 amps total.

If you start tripping breakers because of overload, just turn the water heater element off. You may need to when running microwaves, air-conditioning, etc.
With a baby and a bottle heater, we blew the breaker on a 30amp site in Florida a few times before I finally switched to propane (and left it) for the water heater.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

but
the propane is not an element
just a hot flame

Mountainman

ummm, can I claim typo?
2012 - 26 days

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #13

Quote:
yep.

4)ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS turn on your water BEFORE turning on the electric element
5) electric elements burn out in 8 seconds if turned on with no water in the water heater

To add a little:
4A) Always open a hot water faucet and the water tank relief valve to be sure the tank is full of water. You can have water pressure but still have air trapped in the tank.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

yep.

1a) not All rv water heaters are both propane/electric. Some may be propane Only. No electric.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #15

Dummy me!

hOW WELL I KNOW YOU NEED TO FILL THE WATER HEATER FIST BEFORE POWER. I DID NOT REALIZE I HAD IT IN BY-PASS MODE TURNED ON WATER HAD WATER RUNNING FROM BOTH HOT SIDE AND COLD BUT THE HOT WOULD NOT HEAT. YEAP, YOU GUESSED IT BURNED UP A HEATING ELEMENT REAL QUICK...

"LESSONS EARNED ARE LESSONS LEARNED"
chevy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Always Learning

chevy2500, I almost did this. I got saved by a water leak and propane smell at the start of my last trip- so we had neither until the nearest RV dealer's owner came out to do some mobile RV repair for us. I knew to check for water and even tried the overflow/pressure release valve, just didn't know what I was doing. Fortunately, I hadn't turned it on before he found my winterization valves were still set to bypass the water heater. (I never would have guessed anything would come out of the hot side of the faucets like that - I thought they'd be empty. But, makes sense since you normally put antifreeze into them.) I got lucky.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #17

good for you. I will remember this time. Planning to de-winterize camper this weekend and head out for a fews days next week with the wife!
chevy2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #18

We use...electric at county & state parks koas.. its included with the dailey rate.. propane when snowbirding in Florida for 3 + months.. where.. WE.. pay a monthly electric meter rate.. and... camping world sells propane at $1.99 a gallon on tuesday and wednesdays
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2500 View Post
good for you. I will remember this time. Planning to de-winterize camper this weekend and head out for a fews days next week with the wife!
I posted a glowing review of them. He saved my tush on that, the water leak and helped me figure out the propane smell. I definitely got lucky.

There are a few things I definitely won't forget - 1) how to really know my HW tank is full; 2) to double and triple-check the winterization valves; 3) to properly winterize my toilets.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #20

Our current trailer is the first trailer we have owned that has a water heater that is both electric & propane..... I tend to leave it on gas just habit... It uses so little gas that I don't tend to think about it. If it were not for the furnace just using gas for the stove, grill, oven & water heater I usually only refill the tanks once a season.... Didn't think about the 30A service think I may just leave it on gas......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote