Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #1

Water Heater keeps running

My hot water heater (electric) keeps running after I turn off at One Control panel. Only turns off if I unplug electrical or breaker.

2018 Cardinal 3350
rjw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:06 AM   #2

There is probably a relay. The control panel controls the relay which actually switches the AC voltage on/off to the water heater. Check to see if that relay is stuck closed.

You can also check for 12volt control voltage on the coil side of the relay to see if it is switching on and off.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw54 View Post
My hot water heater (electric) keeps running after I turn off at One Control panel. Only turns off if I unplug electrical or breaker.

2018 Cardinal 3350

We have found that many times on the RV's with these One Control (in-Command) panels that even though there is the option for the electric heating element portion of the water heater on the panel, it is not actually connected to the water heater itself. The One Control panel in these instances only control the DSI/gas mode of heating.

You will need to control the electric heating element via the black switch on the face of the water heater itself if a Suburban brand. This thread will explain and show where this switch is:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Previous thread on similar: Also read thru the thread to make sure you aren't reading about the tank heater (which is not the water heater) in the digital panel.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2202381

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #5

Any idea where relay might be?
rjw54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw54 View Post
Any idea where relay might be?
Well, I believe on the Suburban SW_DEL models, the relay is built into the control board. You would have to look at the wiring going to water heater. If it is a Suburban SW_DEL model, there should be two 12 volt positive wires. In the junction box for the water heater, the 12 volt wire controlling LP gas function is connected to the red wire. The 12 volt wire controlling the electric heating element relay is connected to the orange wire. The black wire in the junction box goes to the DSL indicator light on the control panel.

If you have a 12 volt DC wire connected to an orange wire in junction box at the water heater, you would have to check that voltage switches on and off there. The ground in the junction box is the green wire.

If you have a SW_DE model Suburban Water Heater it has an electric element that is only switched on/off with a switch on the front of the water heater and has no relay nor inside switch. It will not have the orange wire in the junction box.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater