Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2022, 06:22 PM   #1

Water heater light not working

Okay so we bought a new Apex Nano 208bhs last year and I made a rookie mistake and plugged in the trailer while the heater was switched on before I added water. Of course this burnt out the element. I have since replaced the element and it is now heating. The only problem is the light on the switch panel does not turn on while on electric. The light does turn on when on propane. The light does not turn on when the electric switch is on and the heater is working.

I do know basics of using a volt meter but not sure how to test this. I pulled the switch panel and the wires look connected and nothing is burnt.

The hi temp fuse is not blown either. Like I said the only thing not working is the light inside the trailer.
Agustis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #2

Exclamation

We have a Suburban water heater, so the only switch for it we have inside is for heating the water with propane. The red light next to the switch only comes on until the propane ignites. It will also come on and stay lit if there is a problem with the burner. When the propane is working correctly, the light is not lit.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Yep, on a typical Suburban WH, the inside red light is only for the propane side.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustis88 View Post
Okay so we bought a new Apex Nano 208bhs last year and I made a rookie mistake and plugged in the trailer while the heater was switched on before I added water. Of course this burnt out the element. I have since replaced the element and it is now heating. The only problem is the light on the switch panel does not turn on while on electric. The light does turn on when on propane. The light does not turn on when the electric switch is on and the heater is working.

I do know basics of using a volt meter but not sure how to test this. I pulled the switch panel and the wires look connected and nothing is burnt.

The hi temp fuse is not blown either. Like I said the only thing not working is the light inside the trailer.

Please read this thread for an explanation on Suburbans switches and lights. It sounds like you are chasing a non existent problem.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:50 PM   #5

Well isn't that the easiest fix! I thought the light came on when it the electric WH was on, but I could have easily been mistaken.

Thanks everyone for the very fast replies.
Agustis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Well isn't that the easiest fix! I thought the light came on when it the electric WH was on, but I could have easily been mistaken.

Since you haven't identified which model number your WH is, do you have the black rocker switch on the water heater itself, for the electric side?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:

The light in the electric inside switch is 12 volts DC. It only indicates the switch is on. It's part of the switch itself.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, light, water, water heater