Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

Water Heater Recovery

I have a suburban water heater and when you use the hot water it won't stay running. I am not sure if it is the thermostat, thermo coupling or a dirty burner assembly. Here is some info, it runs on propane but has and electric igniter and when you use the water you can hear the click of the igniter and the blower kick on but won't stay lit. It does this about 3 times and then stops trying to light, I turn the switch on and then off inside and most times it will turn on and recover. Any thoughts or ideas before I start replacing things? I am going to try to clean out the burner and the thermo coupling this weekend and hope that's all it is, thoughts???? Thanks
AMAZINFAN69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How are you turning the water heater on and off?

There should be no blower starting up.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

I had a similar problem with the WH in my previous TT. It would do that and I would open the cover and play with the push-on wire connectors to the control module and it would work again for a few hours. I couldn't see anything wrong with the connectors but I replaced a few of them and never had another problem in 7 years.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How are you turning the water heater on and off?

There should be no blower starting up.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
I am turning the switch inside the camper off then on, you then hear the heater try to light and the exaust fan or whatever it is turn on. It does this a few times and then stops.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

No blowers on the water heater.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
No blowers on the water heater.
That's what I'm trying figure out.

Furnace and a/c should be only blowers.

Unless it's tankless?

What model suburban w/h?

Does the electric side work?
TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Guys, I believe the OP is talking about the sound the burner makes when the gas lights. It can sound like a blower fan or similar.

As far as the original questions, there is a chance the flue is stopped up, as spiders love to make homes as well as dirt dobbers in them.

I think you are on the right troubleshooting track Amazinfan69. You can also download a Suburban manual for troubleshooting it even more from our library:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rt=date&page=2

Pages 13, 14, and 22 of the operation/service manual above may help you in the understanding of the heater and what to check.

Good luck

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Guys, I believe the OP is talking about the sound the burner makes when the gas lights. It can sound like a blower fan or similar.

As far as the original questions, there is a chance the flue is stopped up, as spiders love to make homes as well as dirt dobbers in them.

I think you are on the right troubleshooting track Amazinfan69. You can also download a Suburban manual for troubleshooting it even more from our library:

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Plumbing, Propane and Water Systems

Pages 13, 14, and 22 of the operation/service manual above may help you in the understanding of the heater and what to check.

Good luck
wntire, you are correct I am referring to the "blowing sound" the heater makes thank you. I am going to camp tonight I will clean the flue out and the thermo coupling as well and see what happens and thanks for the download.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #9

Ok so here is where I am at now, I turn on the water heater button inside the camper and the little red light comes on. The water heater ignites and the little red light goes out and I can hear the ticking and the gas come on. This happens for about 5 sec and the burner shuts off and the red light comes back on, this does that 3 times and goes into lock out mode. I am thinking thermostat/high limit switch but have no way to test, any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Spoke to RV dealer and he says since I blew it out the burner might be clogged but if not sounds like the module board. Thoughts on this how hard is it to change and any tips to clean the burner?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #11

Just in case anyone else has this problem my Module Board was bad. Been two weekends and hot water is good. Thanks to all who help with this......
Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Good deal. Thanks for completing this thread with the solution to your problem. This may help other members in the future, who may do a search for a similar problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, heater, water, water heater