Old 05-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Scoundrel

Water Leak - Any Suggestions?

Micro-Lite 19fd
De-Winterized today. Drained antifreeze from low-point drains. Hooked up to city water outlet and flushed all the lines. Water heater started up on the first try. Everything was going well until I went to sanitize the fresh water tank and plumbing. Filled the freshwater tank with a chlorine solution, turned on water pump and the water pump ran and ran and ran with lots of air in the lines (gurgling, spitting, etc.). Since I had already pressurized the plumbing with the city water connection I started looking for a water leak. I checked everything - everywhere and finally found a wet spot under the shower drain. However, its not the drain.

The water is traveling from somewhere. The fittings behind the shower fixture are dry; fittings/hoses under the bath sink and kitchen sink are also dry with no trace of water on or under hoses. I can only guess that I would have to pull the tub out to see if its a loose connection under there as there are a lot of hoses running behind a support wall for the tube that are unaccessible. To do this I would have to pull the shower stall walls? Then find a way to lift the tub?

The photos below show the wet spot below the drain pipe. But the water has seeped in there from the insulation on floor. In fact, if you look at the insulation on floor behind the pipe you can see the bottom half is dark (and wet). Tested the drain pipe over and over - it is not the drain pipe.

Any or all ideas welcome.
And as always, thanks.
Rich J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040421.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	136794   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040420.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	136795  

HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

I won't be much help, just waiting for someone how is familiar with your RV to post. But if you can tell whether it's a hot or cold water leak it might help to pin it down.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #3

Looks like maybe the trap cracked
Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Looks like maybe the trap cracked
I wish it were that simple. The trap is dry. And the water pump is drawing air into the lines.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #5

You don't have an outside shower in that vicinity that the faucet is open from winterizing do you?
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #6

Do you have a winterizing by pass kit on your water pump? Is the valve sucking air?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
Scoundrel

There is an outside shower in the vicinity. When I opened the valves to flush the outside shower line there was a leak on the line to the shower head. I fixed that just by tightening the nut on the line at the faucet - no more leak. That was very little water escaping and could not have saturated the area under the tub.

I fear I have a split in a water line under the tub and am now trying to figure out how to remove the press-fittings for the shower wall. Thinking of removing the wall so that I can remove the tub. Ugh!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
Scoundrel

I have the antifreeze by-pass line set to draw from the FW tank. Still, fresh water under the tub, air in the lines, there has to be a leak somewhere me thinks.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
There is an outside shower in the vicinity. When I opened the valves to flush the outside shower line there was a leak on the line to the shower head. I fixed that just by tightening the nut on the line at the faucet - no more leak. That was very little water escaping and could not have saturated the area under the tub.

I feer I have a split in a water line under the tub and am now trying to figure out how to remove the press-fittings for the shower wall. Thinking of removing the wall so that I can remove the tub. Ugh!
The little buttons that hold the shower install have a center button. Push that in and pull the fastener out. You will have to remove the shower enclosure first because the tub has a 1" or so lip that the stall enclosure rest in front of. That 1" lip has the screw flange to remove the tub. Make sure to remove the P trap prior to lifting out the tub.
You could also remove the exterior shower box (minutes instead of hours) to see a leak, reinstall the exterior shower box with butyl tape before screwing it back on exterior wall.

Edit: My last trailer had the smaller push buttons. I just checked my new one, it does not. I would assume they are one way, one time push in's.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
Scoundrel

Thanks Crunchman. I know if I can get the shower box off I can fix this thing. The three sided shower box is installed with press-fittings. Any idea how to remove them and salvage them for re-install?

Thanks for your help.
Rich J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040423.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	136802  
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
Scoundrel

Just re-read your post regarding "one time" push button fasteners. Will see what I can do.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #12

Ok, just google "push rivet" or "christmas tree" rivet for new ones. Easiest way is pry them out far enough to nip them off with a pair of side cutters. Push the stub in the wall. I have read the enclosure most likely will have 2 sided tape holding it to the wall. Scrape it off with a putty knife.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Scoundrel

Awesome! Thanks! I know what I'm doing tomorrow. I appreciate your info very much.

Rich J.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #14

Hey, campers helping campers. That is why we hang out here, you learn something new everyday. Keep us posted on what you find.
Go slow, take your time and don't crack that enclosure pulling it out. (if you do, we'll find you a new one but it is going to hurt your wallet. $$$)

EDIT: Every screw, rivet ect. you remove.. When reinstalling, pump silicone into the hole to ensure a waterproof finish, I would also recommend sealing the tub pan to the wall prior to reinstalling the enclosure.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
Scoundrel

Those are all sound ideas. Thanks. I'll take photos & post up.

Rich J.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Hey, campers helping campers. That is why we hang out here, you learn something new everyday. Keep us posted on what you find.
Go slow, take your time and don't crack that enclosure pulling it out. (if you do, we'll find you a new one but it is going to hurt your wallet. $$$)

EDIT: Every screw, rivet ect. you remove.. When reinstalling, pump silicone into the hole to ensure a waterproof finish, I would also recommend sealing the tub pan to the wall prior to reinstalling the enclosure.
ALL sound suggestions! If you do happen to crack the enclosure all is not lost however. Depending on how badly it is cracked you can repair it with Fiberglass.

Stand it upright on a cardboard base so as not to drip any resin on the floor and give yourself free and easy access.

Use blue masking tape on the front side to pull and hold the edges together. Do your best to keep the surfaces flush on both sides of the repair area.

Lightly use a piece of sandpaper to scuff up the back side to give the fiberglass a nice clean surface to adhere to.

Then put a couple layers of fiberglass on the reverse side. When it cures you will have a much stronger piece than when you began removing it.

They make colored caulk that you can use to tidy the front if DW hates the look of it.

But a $25.00 fiberglass repair kit at the local auto parts store beats the heck out of having to purchase a new enclosure in my opinion.

Ask me how I know this works.............
Old 05-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

Pay particular attention to the valves for the leaks. IMO it usually leftover moisture in the assemblies. I can't remember ever having a split line like copper. I've had a few burst valves. Last year it was my hw bypass.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #18

Before you take things apart, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the antifreeze syphon hose is not sucking air. You may think you shut it off, but the pump may still be sucking air. It will save you a lot of time and trouble. Just put your tongue on the hose. If you feel suction, there's your answer.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #19

X2 on what tom3205 said. Then run the pump and see if it builds enough pressure to shut off. I would also remove that outside shower box and inspect the lines and the valve very closely before disassembling the whole bathroom.
BooHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #20

Before you take the tub out, try using air pressure, if the line will not hold pressure then you know that you have a leak.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak