Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2023, 03:45 PM   #1

Water Leak under shower

We have had a leak under our shower since we purchased our coach.

I have an endoscope and could see the problem but there was no way that I could fit my overly large hand(s) into the access panel! The nearest authorized dealer from our home is over 100 miles.

On our trip last week we camped about 5 miles from Camping World in Holiday, FL. when we called for service, of course, they wanted us to bring the coach to them but after we explained that we were "on the road" and could not drop the coach off for them to fix, they scheduled a mobile repair appointment.

The two techs they sent were "in house" technicians and did not normally do mobile repairs. So they did not bring their very large shop endoscope! I offered them mine and they were amazed at the clarity for such a small unit. (See low resolution pics.)

They could see the problem and went to get the parts needed to make the repair. They had to cut the pipe from the grey water tank and put a new fitting onto the pipe so that they could secure the Waterless P-Trap properly.

As an engineer, it is obvious to me that the issue was caused by factory personnel over-tightening the Black ABS fitting when attaching it to the PVC waterless P-Trap. The problem was fixed in short order but never should have happened in the first place. I'm sure that if I had been able to take our coach to a local authorized Forest River Service Center they too would agree.

For reasons unknown to me, the access panel is toward the left of the shower and very difficult to access in any case. I would strongly recommend that they add a second access panel to the right of the shower, which would allow repair personnel to use two hands when fixing this type of problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9369.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	283398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9370.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	283399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9371.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	283400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9573.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	283401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9574.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	283402  

BoslerCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:50 PM   #2

This is exactly what I'm going through right now - same parts and same ridiculously tight access. I'm waiting on a mobile repair service to get back to me to arrange an appointment.

Do you know what parts they used on yours?
Old 01-28-2023, 04:12 PM   #3

Easy Repair

Sure... it was the same fitting that you can see in pic #3. They got one at Home Depot probably cost less than a dollar. The other part of the equation is: The guys in the factory sometimes get the length of the pipe wrong and have to try and "stretch" (over-tighten) the pipe to get the waterless P-trap in place. These techs took their time and got it right.

The bill $570 (2 guys 1 1/2 hours - total 3 hrs at $190/hr.) was only for labor no parts. Well worth it, since we couldn't use the shower until now!

Should have been covered by Forest River but I have not pursued that at all.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:17 PM   #4

Thumbs up ... and another thing! LoL

I forgot to mention that they took the access panel and the heat duct out in order to get two hands under the shower to cut away the old pipe and get the new fitting glued in place properly.

Good luck!

Semper Fi

Old 01-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks!

Tags
leak, show, shower, water, water leak