Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

Water problem when using the city water input

Good day,

We are new to the RV lifestyle. We will be starting out this March and looking forward to it. We have a 2014 Forest River Tracer and have been making changes to it before we hit the road. I have run into something that I am sure must be a common mistake. When I connect my water line to the city water connection I find that it starts to fill up my water holding tank and them the holding tank starts to over flow out the over flow port. I know that when the city water is used it should only put the pressure on all the water faucets and not fill the holding tank. What have I done wrong? No other water leaks on the trailer just the holding tank over flow. Has anyone seen this before? And how do you correct this issue? Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Kingmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 AM   #2

There is a back flow device built into the water pump to prevent that . sometimes it doesn't work . i would use the pump a few times and see if some debris is stuck in there and get the flushed through then test again . if it continues you can add a back flow /check valve between pump and tank or try and pull the pump and flush or replace the built in check valve in the pump
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Many folks experience this problem and normally is caused like Mr.M said by the check valve. What seems to work to correct the problem is 1. with pump off disconnect from city water 2. Start pump and let it pressurize and flow some water. 3. shutoff pump open faucet remove pressure. 4. reconnect city water and turn on close faucet and see if the problem of filling the potable water tanks is corrected good luck.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

If Seadog's fix doesn't work (try it a few times), you'll have to replace the check valve. Some check valves are internal to the pump, some are in the pumps discharge line. Or simply add another one in the discharge line.

I've attached a generic plumbing pic, with some additional tidbits of information, for your use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (130.8 KB, 152 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmunch View Post
Good day,

We are new to the RV lifestyle. We will be starting out this March and looking forward to it. We have a 2014 Forest River Tracer and have been making changes to it before we hit the road. I have run into something that I am sure must be a common mistake. When I connect my water line to the city water connection I find that it starts to fill up my water holding tank and them the holding tank starts to over flow out the over flow port. I know that when the city water is used it should only put the pressure on all the water faucets and not fill the holding tank. What have I done wrong? No other water leaks on the trailer just the holding tank over flow. Has anyone seen this before? And how do you correct this issue? Thanks for whatever help you can give me.
Welcome to the fourm. To save you time and perhaps get you a faster answer in the future, you might want to familiarize yourself with the search feature on the forum. There are probably more threads on this very issue here than anyone can count. Often quicker to find an answer there than to wait for answers by starting a new one.

Again, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

water filling fresh water tank

before replacing the check valve check your water pressure. if it is over 50 lbs then the check valve in the pump will not hold. get a water pressure regulator that you can adjust and then you will know what you have pressure wise. had the same problem with 2 different TT and pressure regulator solved the problem
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, water