Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Water pump

We have a 2017 Rockwood 2503S and seldom use our water pump, usually just on the road or just before leaving a campsite. Recently, it seems to run a little longer. After pumping stops it seems to continue running without pumping, but not every time. I have to switch the pump off to make it stop.

Is this normal or is there something I need to do.
plmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #2

Did you bleed the air out of all the faucets including outside shower and toilet? Water heater pressure relief valve?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

After pumping stops ? you mean after you shut off a faucet ? How much longer ? I've had trailers where it ran for 3 to 4 seconds after turning off faucet and some are almost immediately after turning faucet off...maybe 1 second or so.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

After the valve is turned off and the pumping has completed its cycle, I assume to repressure the line, I can hear what sounds like an electric motor continuing to run. It would only stop if I turn off the pump at the control panel.
plmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Team

It could be air in the system.
How much water is in the water tank?

It could be the internal check valve leaking by causing it not to build pressure.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

We had really low water pressure on our brand new Cruise Lite 210RBXL and the pump would run for a minute or more after the faucet was closed. I went investigating and found that the PEX line coming into the pump from the FW tank was kinked tight before the pump. Nice job on quality control FR!

Cut the line and put a elbow in and now it works fine, pressure is good and the pump shuts off in a second or two after shutting off the faucet.
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #7

Here is what often happens: when the tanks are being installed, holes are cut for the piping and debris falls into the tank and somehow finds it's way through the sand screen into the pump where it settles on the membrane. The pump starts cycling every so often, loses prime and/or keeps running for a few more seconds after the tap has been turned off. This can happen the 1st time the tank is being used or even after a couple of years and it is no reason to have the pump replaced.
If you're handy with basic tools you could take the pump out and split it (inspect the sand screen while you're at it), I bet you'll find tiny white plastic pieces stuck in there. If you're not sure take pictures every step of the way but it is actually really simple.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump