Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #1
sparky

Water pump

My water pump runs but won't pick up prime. It's been working fine until I arrived at dry camp.
ravn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

same here. first trip in our brand new trailer and zero water. super frustrating.
MrShmichaelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #3

A couple things to check - on the input side of the water pump there should be a small screen type filter. These can get plugged up with plastic shavings/etc. and keep the pump from getting "primed". You should also look to see if the water line from the FW tank to the inlet side of the pump is "kink" free. Ours had a kink in it and the pump seemed to run almost continuously. I cut out the kink, added a PEX 90 degree support and all is right with the world now.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #4

A different possibility, but experienced by several A-framers. Regardless of whether pump is left on or off, especially while trailering, pump gets locked up by pressure build-up from heat, etc. Or can be vapor lock. The very small amount of plumbing doesn't allow for any thermal expansion. So turning on the pump does nothing but run the motor. All the pressure has to be dumped before the pump will pump again.

I have gotten in the habit of dumping water pressure when getting ready to trailer. I turn off the pump and open the outside shower valves (both hot and cold), and let the water flow until it stops from lack of pressure. I then close the outside shower valves. Now, pump always works properly when we set up at next campsite or home.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice. These are things I will keep in mind moving forward. After all our pump was defective and the dealership replaced it under warranty. They told me it was caused by the water saver device in the shower. But that is actually incorrect. It was never turned on and if it was the shower faucet has to be in the on position for water to travel through it and back to the fresh water tank. In which case we would have heard the pump running constantly. they than said it was because the shower faucet was left on which I did leave on after the pump quit and I gave up trying to get the pump to prime. at the end of the day the pump failed and we got our trailer back from the dealership with another problem. Brand new 2021 trailer and its failing left and right just from sitting in the driveway and the dealership blames it on Californias rough roads. but I don't see how a seal on the pop out has anything to do with a 'rough road'.
MrShmichaelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump