Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 05:47 AM   #1

Water pump continues to run after I overfilled

I'm going on a trip with weekend but my water pump continues to run after I overfilled the water tank. I use a pressure reducing adapter (40 - 50 psi) but could this pressure create a leak in the water system?

Help!

Thanks,
Bill
125992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 AM   #2

I wouldn't think so. Did you run all the faucets including the outside shower to bleed out all the air? Any water leaking out of the city water connection which would indicate a leaky check valve?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

The pump has nothing to do with the FW holding tank except to draw water from it.
If you overfill yout tank it is designed to eject the excess through the overflow tube. That also prevents a pressure build up in the tank.
So the Q is; Why does your pump keep running. Im thinking that it is trying to fill your (cold) water heater and pressurize the system. That takes a while to accomplish. Meanwhile, check that ALL if your faucets are close (includes outside shower) and that the water heater has it’s plug in.

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Happy Trails and Remember the Pequod.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Where are you using the 'pressure reducing adapter'? If you've got City water connected, you shouldn't be running the pump. If you're using the pump, you shouldn't have city water connected.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Where are you using the 'pressure reducing adapter'? If you've got City water connected, you shouldn't be running the pump. If you're using the pump, you shouldn't have city water connected.
X-2 (I assumed the OP was only filling the FW tank and did not have City Water connected. Shame on me for assuming.)

Welcome to Lake Wobegon where Justin and David utilize abductive reasoning to help solve F/SS issues.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
X3

Exactly what I was wondering... The pump shouldn't be running AT ALL if you're connected to a water supply, and the pressure reducing adaptor certainly seems to indicate that.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
X-2 (I assumed the OP was only filling the FW tank and did not have City Water connected. Shame on me for assuming.)
You are correct I was just filling the fresh water tank and I thought it was just a good practice to have the pressure reducing adapter on the end of the hose as I filled the tank.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125992 View Post
You are correct I was just filling the fresh water tank and I thought it was just a good practice to have the pressure reducing adapter on the end of the hose as I filled the tank.
Nothing wrong with having the pressure reducer on.... That should protect the plumbing, not cause problems.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #9

If your pump runs constantly, you have a vacuum side leak or a pressure side leak. Tighten the fittings at the pump and test. Pressure side leaks will be a little more obvious (water).
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
OK, i'm still confused though, does your tank fill screw on or does it just have a gravity fill port? Still not sure how the pressure reducer would come into play but you said "could this pressure cause a leak?" If you do have a screw-on fitting then I guess that would explain it how filling it could cause a leak.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

I’m considering the pressure reducer as a “Red Herring”. The OP also never said he had a leak, only that the pump was running.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

Is your low point drain closed
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Iím considering the pressure reducer as a ďRed HerringĒ. The OP also never said he had a leak, only that the pump was running.
I understood that, but no one had answered his question as to if the pressure reducer would cause a leak. In fact, the opposite is true.

I have no idea what kind of fresh water intake is on that 2015 Leprechaun. From you tube, it looks like he has separate intake connections for city water and potable water. It looks like a screw on. It doesn't look like you need to run the water pump to fill it.

He's either got a leak or as someone suggested, it's trying to fill the hot water tank?

I guess at this point, he probably needs to turn that water pump off with the switch, check the tank level and turn the water pump back on ( assuming that the fresh water tank is full). If it the water pump won't shut off at that point.... perhaps a leak? If the fresh water tank is empty, then he may have a leak in that, his low point FW tank may be open (previously suggested), or the cold an hot water drains may be open.

If it were me, I'd get down on the ground and look.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #14

Solution

This should have been listed as a newbie question, but with everyone's help I found the problem. After filling the FW tank I turned on the water pump and I expected it to quickly shut off, but it didn't. I panicked and turned it off not wanting to burn out the pump. I thought I had a problem, but it turns out I didn't have a problem or more accurately I was the problem. Once I let the water pump run for a few minutes it did shut off.

All is good!

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
This should have been listed as a newbie question, but with everyone's help I found the problem. After filling the FW tank I turned on the water pump and I expected it to quickly shut off, but it didn't. I panicked and turned it off not wanting to burn out the pump. I thought I had a problem, but it turns out I didn't have a problem or more accurately I was the problem. Once I let the water pump run for a few minutes it did shut off.

All is good!

Thanks!
Thank you for coming back and giving a report on your conclusion.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135; Booked for 2023 = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
I panicked and turned it off not wanting to burn out the pump. I thought I had a problem, but it turns out I didn't have a problem or more accurately I was the problem. Once I let the water pump run for a few minutes it did shut off.
Excellent! Now we can stop worrying about you.

Many of the newer water pumps will automatically stop working when the water in the fresh water tank gets too low. (Found that out when we thought we'd burned up our pump. Added water and it started working again.)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #17

Quote:

All is good!

Thanks!
You reset the pump check valve by turning off and on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
Certified Curmudgeon

Ahhhhh. Good news. Enjoy your trip.

Tags
led, pump, water, water pump