Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 04:10 AM   #1

Water pump gives no water

Intermitente pump not sending water problem: My problem was twice not pumping, it runs, but no water flows...2 nd time, I know I had about 1/3 tank left, last day of 14 day trip last month. Then Used city water the next day, worked fine, snd when I tried it again, it’s worked fine on pump. Can’t figure out why; geopro 19fd, 1 yr old, ... I had the a simular problem 1st time about 6 months ago but that time I ran it out if water, and only added 5-10 gal , but still wouldn’t work till I refilled the tank full next time a month later. Probably unrelated, But I figure it might have been a suction issue, And not enough water to get it reprimed? I’ve read the outlet on the FW tank is kinda high, and maybe not enough water in the tank ? but I thought the sureflo pump should have had enough to do self priming.... I checked the small bowl filter at the pump, found a little gunk, but don’t think it was a problem, but could been all it took. I don’t think there’s any loose fitting sucking air, and the new cartridge filter was not filling with water, and was on tight., it Worked fine for the 2 trips after I changed the cartridge 2 months ago. Now, The pump has worked fine on the last two trips, ... but it’s worrisome tho not knowing why it stopped pushing water in the past as described before,. When it didn’t work, sounded like pump might have been running in low mode, and no water coming out.

Now I have a spare pump on hand if it happens again, so, can anyone speculate on what happened ? I’ve read about priming the pump by pouring a 1/2 cup water into pump in outlet line, then try it, ... but it’s working fine now, so just hoping waiting if it happens again. Anyone have simular problem ever?
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a small air leak on the suction side, but it could also be a piece of trash stuck in the pump suction check valve.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

Sureflo 12v check valve fresh water

Details? What do i look for when/if checking the check valve? Has anyone found debris in it? Where? Do you know where and how to access to check the check valve? Is it something safe to check if maybe its really ok? Can I damage or drop anything taking it out / and putting it back if carefully?

I’m really interested to see if anyone has any other experience with water not flowing on 12v sureflo pump, and then solving the problem later by running city water; and trying to pump again with 12v ,,
Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Yes I have found trash in the pump can't tell you from what, maybe well water a camp grounds who knows.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treybecky View Post
, I know I had about 1/3 tank left,
How did you determine this? If you were using the lights on the tank indicator panel, they are notoriously inaccurate.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

Water Pump stops pumping intermitent

To answer how did I know how much water was in tank, I filled it the day before and only took two longish showers, and a little of the regular stuff. My water lasts 3- 3 1/2 days regularly, in fact I was well into the second fill up when it began to sputter on day 2, while the DW was taking her shower after mine. Am I 110% sure it was at 1/3? no. But pretty sure. Maybe TMO, but trying to get a good diagnosis.

btw, the campground water and city water that I have used for the last year; is filtered thru a 4" x12" filter outside 1st., and 2nd thru the inside FR water cartridge... so I think the chance of muck getting in is low.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #7

i'm having this issue as well .....rv repair person can't figure it out
idaho ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #8

no water

update:
my no water problem did not reoccur last year after that last post (2nd time no water as described in 1st post) in early August, ...then everything ok after we camped about 6 or 8 days more after last Fall... and since I put it away in December. Got alot planned for this year, so we'll see...I did replace the backflow device I found behind the kitchen sink (access from behind outside shower panel), but Im 99% sure that my "no water" problem was unrelated. Unless it reoccurs, Im not sure what happened... hope it doesnt happen again... my hypothesis is maybe an air lock of some sort, but everything was normal when it happened i think ... please let me know if someone finds a source of the symptom. good luck.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #9

May or may not be what happened to you. I had a similar problem on my A-frame. One trip it would pump, the next trip I couldn't get anything out of it. No leaks anywhere. Bought a replacement pump, and found the original water pump working fine.

Finally wrote the issue off as an airlock problem, especially easy to happen on a small camper with a very simple water system (a cassette potty, indoor sink, outdoor shower). Solution to prevent airlocks: relieve the water system pressure when breaking camp. When I break camp, I turn off the pump, and then relieve pressure by opening both spigots on the outside shower. When that reduces to a dribble, I call it good. I have had no problems since then (5 camping trips ago) unless I forgot to depressurize before starting the pump on next trip.

hope this helps
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
- yes Colorado State Parks are still open to camping, National Parks and Forests in Colorado seem questionable.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #10

clean the filter.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #11

no water

"Clean the filter" I assume you mean is the small 1" inline clear bowl filter with screen just before the pump... that to me is the most obvious possible source.

I'll check again, and yes, I totally can see a possibility of anything or crap getting in the system from the factory etc. when new-ish, but in my case, I had already cleaned the bowl filter, tightened fittings around the pump area when I padded the lines to quiet them;;, and we had used the camper 15 weekend+ outings without a glitch in water usage, and had it only happen twice 5 months apart (see 1st posts in blog), somewhat under different circumstances, however still for an unknown cause.

Tags
pump, water, water pump