Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

Water pump issue

I have a salem 30KQBSS I flushed the lines this weekend while I was camping to get the pink stuff out and camped all weekend using the city water, I then filled my fresh water tank before leaving since our next trip will not have a water hookup. I turned the water pump on, and nothing happened, i couldnt hear it running, all fuses were fine, I could not find any valves to open going into the water pump? Where else could they be located? I also do not have any water in my hot water tank, I am brand new to all this and the dealer winterized for me last year? any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
J. Parham

Did the dealer leave the line from tank to pump disconnected?
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

As for water not being in the water heater, did you turn ALL the valves on the back of the water heater to get it out of winterization mode? Since you don't have water in it, I hope you didn't light it or turn on the electric element if equipped. If, damage is done, the electric element is fried, and will need replacing.

As for the pump, do you know where it is? Turn it on, and open one faucet, and wait. May take a minute to prime itself. May not prime itself unless a faucet is open. If you know where the pump is, turn it on, and put your hand on it. You should feel it running, even if you can't hear it.

Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVLINOHIO View Post
I have a salem 30KQBSS I flushed the lines this weekend while I was camping to get the pink stuff out and camped all weekend using the city water, I then filled my fresh water tank before leaving since our next trip will not have a water hookup. I turned the water pump on, and nothing happened, i couldn't hear it running, all fuses were fine, I could not find any valves to open going into the water pump? Where else could they be located? I also do not have any water in my hot water tank, I am brand new to all this and the dealer winterized for me last year? any suggestions?
After your "dealer" charged you for winterizing (all of a 15 minute job) he expected you to return so he could charge you again for "de-winterizing" the camper (another 15 minute job). So he never showed you what you needed to do to do it yourself. I would find a new dealer ASAP. These guys are gonna treat you like their new .... well .... Never mind.

You said you flushed all the pink stuff out. How did you do that if the water pump did not run? There should be pink stuff in the pump and between the fresh water tank and the screen filter on the pump intake.

The water pump is self priming and just sucks water out of the fresh water tank (which must have fresh water in it to work and finish your dewinterizing).

You must not have city water pressure hooked up to run the pump. The pump puts out less pressure than city water so it will not turn on if there is still pressure in the system.

When I winterize, I use the 10 amp fuse located AT the pump as the on/off switch so I can do the job alone. (I can monitor the antifreeze hose in the gallon jug so I don't suck air or waste antifreeze.) Perhaps they did too and the fuse on the pigtail at the pump is not installed.

The hot water tank should have a valve or valves that bypass the hot water tank so you don't waste 6 gallons of antifreeze filling it over the winter.

On the outside; check to make SURE that the anode is installed and looks like it has fresh Teflon tape on the threads and the 120VAC power switch is OFF.

Then on the inside find the shutoff valve or valves (SHOULD look like the picture, but it might have one (valve in straight line with input hose - summer valve vertical up the bypass hose - winter) or two (input hose shutoff and bypass valve shutoff w/check valve at the top) or three like the photo). They all do the same thing. Isolate the 6 or 10 gallon tank from the rest of the camper's plumbing.

If you have a 2 or 3 valve isolation circuit, rotate the valves opposite the photo (which should be set up like yours is now (winterized).

If you have the 3 valve isolation circuit, open the input and output and close the bypass.

If you have a 2 valve isolation circuit, open the input and close the bypass.

If you have a one valve, rotate the valve so it is pointing to the vertical hose.

When you hear water flow, go outside and open the pressure relief valve by raising the lever on the valve and let the air out. when it stops hissing and water starts coming out; let go and it should close and no water should drip continuously.

If you have found the little black 120VAC heater switch in the "ON" position AND you have had shore power connected to the camper, you will need to replace the heating element before you can use 120VAC to heat your water. Even with the heating element blown, you will still be able to use the 12VDC/Propane heater part to heat your water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	13050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside picture of Water Heater.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	13052  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf subsw06.pdf (2.23 MB, 28 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What Lou said!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the help! I will try all this when i get home from work, as far as the little black switch, I didnt turn it on so I should be fine there, I do remember seeing a black reset button on the outside of the hot water tank, what is this for? I think my main problem is finding the shut off valves!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I do remember seeing a black reset button on the outside of the hot water tank
If the water heater calls for heat, and the water heater does not light 3 times, the "lockout" engages to prevent damage to the ignitor circuits and a buildup of gas in the burner area (if it did light off it would be spectacular).
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Sounds like you are sucking air. Check to see if there is a brass two-way valve (looks like a "t" fitting with a little lever on it) in the line between your water tank and pump. It should be close to the pump. If you find such a thing, try turning the lever 90 degrees and then try the pump again.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Sounds like you are sucking air. Check to see if there is a brass two-way valve (looks like a "t" fitting with a little lever on it) in the line between your water tank and pump. It should be close to the pump. If you find such a thing, try turning the lever 90 degrees and then try the pump again.
Excellent point. If the dealer installed a "winterizing valve" in the pump input line and forgot to switch it back to the fresh water tank after sucking the pink stuff out of the jug, you would not get the pump to pump. It would still RUN however.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Pumps working, I found a loose wire on the pump. Plugged it back in, and it worked fine, still cant find the vavles for the water heater?? Looked behind both access panels, not outside trailer?? Gonna stop at dealer tomorrow and ask.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Pumps working, I found a loose wire on the pump. Plugged it back in, and it worked fine, still cant find the valves for the water heater?? Looked behind both access panels, not outside trailer?? Gonna stop at dealer tomorrow and ask.
Should be located directly opposite the metal cover on the outside; but on the inside.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

I have a 2011 30kqbss.The valves are under the sink.If you open the door under the kitchen sink and look to the right on the bottom shelf there is a thin panel.the panel is very flexible and can pull towards you.Do this and there are 3 valves .Open the top and bottom ones and close the middle one.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help! Found them!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
I have a 2011 30kqbss.The valves are under the sink.If you open the door under the kitchen sink and look to the right on the bottom shelf there is a thin panel.the panel is very flexible and can pull towards you.Do this and there are 3 valves .Open the top and bottom ones and close the middle one.
I removed that panel and several others. They may block ugly wires and pipes but they also steal your most precious commodity. Storage space.