Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

Water pump leak?

Took our 2016 Forester camping this weekend. Stopped at a restaurant on the way home and noticed a significant fresh water leak upon doing my walk around prior to getting back on the road. When I went in the coach I noticed water pump was running intermittently though no faucets were open. When I shut pump off the leak stopped. I did notice when I disconnected the city water hose at the campground the water pressure was very high. Any chance this could be a contributing factor to the leaking pump? Any thoughts on this?
jenunn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenunn01 View Post
Took our 2016 Forester camping this weekend. Stopped at a restaurant on the way home and noticed a significant fresh water leak upon doing my walk around prior to getting back on the road. When I went in the coach I noticed water pump was running intermittently though no faucets were open. When I shut pump off the leak stopped. I did notice when I disconnected the city water hose at the campground the water pressure was very high. Any chance this could be a contributing factor to the leaking pump? Any thoughts on this?
Certainly a high pressure campground system could have caused a leak, but it isn't necessarily a water pump leak. It could be anywhere in the water system. You will have to track down the leak from the bottom up, starting with where it drips out. Some areas are easy to get into and some are incredibly hard with riveted metal plates and such. This may or may not be a DIY project.

One essential thing - you must find the leak and dry out the area quickly and completely to avoid mold and mildew formation. If you see any black dot formations or stains, you will need to remove material or do a thorough mold remediation effort.

You can pick up an inexpensive pressure regulator from Camping World, Amazon, or any RV dealer that will prevent this from happening again (if that was the problem). Leaks can form for other reasons too such as the constant banging around that happens when RVs go down the road.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well if shutting the pump off stopped the water from coming out, chances are you have a leak somewhere and as mentioned, may not be anywhere near the pump.

The high campground pressure may have compromised a fitting or a line.

You are going to have to do some investigating.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Just as an aside, on one camping trip earlier this summer we stopped at a campground to spend the night while enroute to our destination. When I went to hook up to city water I could not find my water pressure regulator (probably left it at the last campground I stayed at). So instead I used the campground water to fill my fresh water tank and used my water pump.

I would never hook up to a campground water supply without a pressure regulator. I hope your leak is easy to find and the fix is an easy one.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenunn01 View Post
In case you don't know, you don't need the water pump on if your hooked to city water.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #6

Water pump leak

We always turn off pump before connecting to city water supply. Fortunately the leak is under the van so no water problems inside. Bad news is it looks like it will be impossible to get to without dropping the tank. I have not been using a pressure regulator up to now, but definitely will from now on. That was one tip the RV dealer neglected to tell me.
jenunn01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, pump, water, water pump