Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Water pump on?

OK, so this may be a dumb question but do you have to have the water pump on when you are hooked up to a water supply? We don't normally put any water in our fresh water holding tank. We had the water pump on the other day and it started making this clicking noise. I hope we didn't burn it up. It is sad that we have had our camper for 2 years and we are still not sure of much. We just never have had any experience with them. :-/

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

No, you don't need your 12v water pump to be on if you are hooked up to running city water.
No, you don't want to turn your pump on when you have no water in your fresh water tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #3

You do not need it on when hooked to city water. The pressure comes from the line. As a matter of fact you should use a water pressure regulator as sometimes the pressure can be so high it can damage your pipes.
grubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

I would go ahead and put some water in the tank now just to check the pump, you can drain it later.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. That is kinda what occurred to me...after the fact of course. We do have a water pressure regulator on our fresh water hose. The dealership made sure we didn't leave without one

Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Site Team

I keep a few gallons in the tank all the time for use when traveling. Flushing, hand washing, watering the dog, etc. 5-10 gals.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl01 View Post
Thanks everyone. That is kinda what occurred to me...after the fact of course. We do have a water pressure regulator on our fresh water hose. The dealership made sure we didn't leave without one

It is always good to keep a little fresh water in the tank to be used when you are travelling and not hooked up to any power.
Toilet, sink, etc. I would put a small amount in the tank and run the pump to insure it will pump water.
Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
OK, so this may be a dumb question but do you have to have the water pump on when you are hooked up to a water supply? We don't normally put any water in our fresh water holding tank. We had the water pump on the other day and it started making this clicking noise. I hope we didn't burn it up. It is sad that we have had our camper for 2 years and we are still not sure of much. We just never have had any experience with them. :-/

It is not the best for them, but RV water pumps can be ran dry for a little while. I believe that there is a safety switch on some pumps to shut them down if they over heat, do to a lack of water.
http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-1...productDetails

Quote:
can run dry without damage

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
It is always good to keep a little fresh water in the tank to be used when you are travelling and not hooked up to any power.
Toilet, sink, etc. I would put a small amount in the tank and run the pump to insure it will pump water.
Good luck
And the pump should turn off after it pressurizes the system. If it does not turn off after a few minutes, check for water dripping somewhere. outside shower, sinks, low point drain, etc.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #10

I must say...this forum, and you all, are the BEST!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
And the pump should turn off after it pressurizes the tank. If it does not turn off after a few minutes, check for water dripping somewhere. outside shower, sinks, low point drain, etc.
Not to confuse the OP. After your water system is pressurized, not your water holding tank (that's where the water comes from via the pump) the pump should turn off. And yes, (with no hookups and water in the holding tank) with the pump on is a good way to check for possible leaks (as verified by pump cycling and no demand at any faucets). Just a thought for a newby.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #12

Just to piggyback on the original, I'm new to RVing and don't know if I'm hooked into city water do I still need to run the pump to fill the hot water tank when I want hot water. Thanks!
s2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2111 View Post
Just to piggyback on the original, I'm new to RVing and don't know if I'm hooked into city water do I still need to run the pump to fill the hot water tank when I want hot water. Thanks!
Leave your 12v water pump off if you are hooked up to city water. The city water hookup does not go into your fresh water tank, it goes directly into the camper water lines. The 12v water pump has a check valve built into it to keep water from 'back flowing' into the fresh water tank.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

When I was first starting out I also wasn't sure to turn it on or not with hook ups. My service department said it wouldn't hurt the pump but it would put extra miles on it.

Please feel free to post any questions you may have. This is a great place to get answers.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Best to keep about 5 gal in the fw tank for flushing, etc while on the road. Just make sure you turn the pump off while traveling in case a pipe breaks, someone leaves a faucet on, etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #16

Very good answers. I have read that you are not supposed to run the water pump while on city hookups. So, if I accidentally bump the pump switch on, what can happen to the pump?

Thanks guys.
Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
Very good answers. I have read that you are not supposed to run the water pump while on city hookups. So, if I accidentally bump the pump switch on, what can happen to the pump?

Thanks guys.
Brandi

Your 12v pump is 'set' to only run psi so high. If all of your units water lines are full of water (faucets shut off), the pump will 'feel' this back pressure and the motor will shut off and be on a 'stand by'. If you are on city water and you have your pump on, if you run water the pump may 'feel' a drop in the 'back' water pressure and come on and pump water out of your fresh water tank. When the faucets are shut off again the pump will 'stop', but it will be 'energized' and be 'ready' when the pressure of the line falls again. If you do this too much you will drain your fresh water tank and put stress on your 12v water pump. It will take a lot of weeks (months?) of this to really effect the quality of the pump, but it will wear it down over time.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Thanks guys.
Brandi
Doubt you will notice any adverse effects at all as the pump is designed to pump water and as for draining the fw tank, it won't pump much with you hooked to cg or city water. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #19

Cool. Didn't think you could break it that easily.

What a great place for answers.
Brandi
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Cool. Didn't think you could break it that easily.

What a great place for answers.
Brandi
If you have decent city hook up pressure, I doubt if the pump would even cycle, at least ours never does and it is a 2012 model. On board regulator is set @ 50#

Tags
pump, water, water pump