Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Water Pump Problem - No/Low Flow

Hi...I just purchased a new TT and I cannot get the water pump to work. Everything works fine on city water but when I disconnect and switch to the on-board pump there is a problem with the flow/pressure. With all taps closed, the pump will pressurize the system and shut off as expected. However, when I open a tap the water and the pressure will eventually die off within 1 min. This happens even though the pump cuts in and continues to run - but there will be very little water and very little pressure. If I shut off the tap again the issue will repeat itself. I thought it might be an airlock issue so I left the taps open for about an hour but the the problem still remains. The water tank is full, there are no leaks that I can find, I have checked the inline strainer/filter, there are no flow or pressure reducing/regulating devices on the lines, and it happens at all taps (hot and cold) and at all sinks.

Any suggestions?
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, just guessing here but do you have a winterize switch next to the pump? If so, switch it over, re-pressurize and try again.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried that. I also checked all the lines to make sure I didn't have a leak. I'm starting to think I may have a hole in the diaphragm.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried that. I also checked all the lines to make sure I didn't have a leak. I'm starting to think I may have a hole in the diaphragm.
You are on the right track I think. A clogged inlet or a torn or leaking diaphragm will give those symptoms.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Pump not working right

Locate your pump, check ALL INLET FITTINGS to make sure they are tight. There may be a slight air leak causing the pump to not work properly.

Also there is an adjustment screw on the pump end of the motor. This is used to adjust the cut off pressure for the pump. You may need to turn the screw clock wise 3/4 turn. Then test it again ?

Before you do this, make sure you check all inlet fittings ( fresh water, Anti freeze) in the wall connectors and any threaded connectors that feed the pump to make sure they are air tight.

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #6

i borrowed a wildwood from my dealer when i was waiting for my rockwood to come offline and it had a kink in the line after the pump that caused the same trouble you are describing. check your hose leaving the pump. just a suggestion.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #7

I had problems with mine also, hooked up to city water everthing was fine. Pump alone, dribbles then nothing.
What I did was find the fitting that you put the antifreeze in and pour water in it to prime the pump. You will have to turn a valve to open it for the water. It took off and has run fine since.
Good luck
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions. After some looking I discovered that the water tank vent/overflow was hooked to the pump inlet and that the actual water line was hooked to the outside vent/overflow. I discovered this when I disconnected the pump inlet and blew into the line - there was no resistance and there was no bubbling noise in the water tank. When I did the same with the vent line there was resistance and there was bubbling noises coming from the water tank. Also, I could physically suck water from the "vent line" but not from the "pump inlet line". It seems that during installation they crossed over the lines and got them reversed as they came up through the floor into the pump compartment.

Once I reversed the lines I could physically suck water from the tank via the pump inlet line - so I can now confirm that the pump inlet is in the water and free of obstructions. However, the pump will still not pump any water - even with the discharge line removed and the pump discharge port open to the air. I can only assume that there is a problem with the pump and/or diaphragm.

The crossed lines and the broken pump certainly doesn't speak well for the QA/QC of Forest River.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Or your dealer's pre-delivery inspection.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

I agree 100% - both companies dropped the ball in this situation. However, as a major manufacturer, I would have expected Forest River to have a formal QA/QC Program in place to prevent these types of problems from ever leaving the manufacturing facility and getting to the dealer.

In my opinion, the dealer should be responsible for identifying any mechanical problems/damage that may have occurred during transport/delivery and not to be a QA/QC inspector for the actual manufacturing process - this is a job best left to the QA/QC inspector at the manufacturer's facility. Having said that, the dealer obviously did not run the pump to confirm that it was operational.

Overall I'd say poor QA/QC on both parties.

FYI - The dealer has agreed to make a house call and replace the pump and make sure everything is working. Thanks for everyones help.