Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #1

Water pump question

I was going to install a Camco winterizing kit to my water pump when I ran into this item on the inline piping can any tell me what this is and is it necessary for the water system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030135.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	119238   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030136.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	119239  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

That's a screen filter for the water . you should leave it in and clean it out at least once a year. i think it should also be mounted with the canister down
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Ok, but is it a filter or a strainer? It comes off of the fresh water tank.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Strainer more or less. I had the same setup when I installed that kit on my popup. Unfortunately, I couldn't leave the filter on due to clearance issues without moving the pump (which I was too lazy to do). I ended up using one of those water hose screens between the three way valve and the pump...I just don't remember how I did it. You look to have more room than I did...you could try to install it in place of the white hose section or move the filter assembly (mine was screwed directly into the pump) and mount the kit on the right side.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

I got the valve in Had to cut the piping back about 1-2 inches but got it in without too much trouble.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Ok, but is it a filter or a strainer? It comes off of the fresh water tank.
it's a strainer , like a filter is removes debris . when you pump from your tank you can bet there are plastic shavings in there from installation . the strainer will pick these up preventing them from clogging your faucets or lines .
Old 09-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
That's a screen filter for the water . you should leave it in and clean it out at least once a year. i think it should also be mounted with the canister down
It's a strainer. We use the 1 1/2" versions at work for our evaporative cooling water piping. We used to mount them down but the bowl was freezing in colder climates. We now mount sideways with a 3 degree slope down.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
It's a strainer. We use the 1 1/2" versions at work for our evaporative cooling water piping. We used to mount them down but the bowl was freezing in colder climates. We now mount sideways with a 3 degree slope down.

it's a filter same dang thing . these are not being used in commercial application there being used to keep debris from being sucked into the pump . you can run em upside down if you wish but setting them up right makes it easier to clean without dumping water all over the place .
Old 09-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
it's a filter same dang thing . these are not being used in commercial application there being used to keep debris from being sucked into the pump . you can run em upside down if you wish but setting them up right makes it easier to clean without dumping water all over the place .
I was just mentioning you don't have to mount it down since you said you "think" it did. Now you know it can be mounted upside down. I also realize it's not a commercial application. I was just giving an example since I work with them regularly.

No worries.

Tags
pump, water, water pump