Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
llr

Water pump runs continuously, at times

Twice recently our water pump started running in the middle of the night and wouldn't stop. Water flow seemed normal when I checked. So far this has happened twice this season out of about 10 nights camped. And not at all the last 2 seasons.

Both times I shut off the pump and in the morning when I turned it on everything was fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #2

If no water leaks found it could be that the check valve in the pump is leaking intermittently.

I always turn my pump off at night and if i head to the bathroom in the middle of the night i have to pass the switch so I flip it on. On the way back to bed I flip it off.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
llr

Thanks for the ideas.

I doubt if it could be a leak big enough to run the pump continuously and then fix itself. I have also not noticed any water the next morning and have not ran out of water sooner then expected.

I know the check valves can leak pressure and cause the pump to cycle on and off. Has anyone heard of this causing continuous running?

Next time I need to wake up more and try some middle of the night trouble shooting.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

There is a pressure switch adjustment screw on the pump. Might want to try adjusting it.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #5

It may just be a raccoon taking an outside shower. 😂😂😂😂
traveltrailerrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltrailerrookie View Post
It may just be a raccoon taking an outside shower. 😂😂😂😂
That must be the issue.

Makes as much sense as anything I have came up with so far.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #7

Hi,

When I occasionally have this happen I turn off the pump at the switch, open a faucet and bleed off the pressure, then turn the pump back on.

Works every time for whatever causes my situation; might want try it. Fwiw.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #8

Water

Sounds like the check valve. There is a filter built into the pump, clean it out. Many times it will have a small bit of debris in it. All it takes is a small bit of sand or construction bits to hold valve open, which bleeds pressure so pump runs. Will also cause the fresh water tank to fill when on city water. I have rapped my pump and it clears the valve and pump stops-Old School. LOL
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #9

I've had this problem for some time, off and on, and we simply only turn ON the water pump switch WHEN we are using water, taking a shower, etc., and then back OFF.

but, while that's one way around the issue, at least temporarily, I also installed a second on/off inline switch right at the water pump, in my wet bay. It's actually mounted/zip tied right onto the pump, so that I can control when the water pump is working while 'working' in the wet bay, etc., rather than having to shout to someone to 'turn on' or 'turn off' the pump, from the lower FAR SIDE of the coach - crazy.
There are some RVs with a water pump switch not only somewhere inside the coach, but also already in the wet/water bay itself. These are actually '3-way' multiple switches, controlled by a switch module, that allows any of the switches, whether 2, 3, or more, to control the water pump from any of those switch locations - making for quite a convenient method to control the water pump. Now, even though the pump 'should' only operate when water is being asked of it, we all know that pumps can be iffy some times, operating more 'when' they want to, off and on periodically for no reason. These switches also all tend to have a 'red light' to alert you to the fact that the water pump is ON, no matter from which switch location is was turned on from. Nice.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

When I occasionally have this happen I turn off the pump at the switch, open a faucet and bleed off the pressure, then turn the pump back on.

Works every time for whatever causes my situation; might want try it. Fwiw.

Rich Phillips
What Rich said. I don't know why, but the simple 2 or 3-outlet (sink and outside shower, some have a line to a cassette potty) water system of A-frames seems to airlock on occasion. Pump either will not come on or runs continuously.

Started dumping water pressure at the start of trip and end of each campsite by turning pump off and opening faucets on outside shower. Turn on the pump upon arrival at the campsite. Never have problems anymore, and no more leaks from the fold-down faucet.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump