Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Also possible that the check valve (one-way valve) in the water pump is not seating properly. The pump builds up pressure in the plumbing and stops. Then the pressure causes water to seep backward into the fresh water tank. As soon as the pressure drops a little, the pump runs again. You never lose any water but it's annoying and runs the battery down.

There are a couple of options.
  • You could try letting the pump run and build up pressure. Then turn the pump off and bleed off the pressure by opening a faucet. Then close the faucet, turn on the pump, and repeat. This might clear out a small particle that was preventing the check (one-way) valve from fully closing.
  • You can take the pump apart and clean the check valve.
  • You can simply buy another check valve and mount it externally on the pump output side.
I had the identical check valve issue. Couldn't understand why my fresh tank was filling up while I was on city water! Ended up just replacing the water pump with it's built-in check valve. Also be sure all hose fittings around the pump area are properly clamped tight with pex clamps or similar. If you are getting just a little air in your lines from that issue, you can never clear the line of air and it too causes the pump to cycle much more often.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibe101 View Post
When boondocking the electric water pump operates too frequently.

I have checked every water appliance inside and outside and no leaks and no apparent leaks from under the trailer.

The water heater has been purged and no air comes out of faucets

Could the pressure on/off switch have an internal leak?

Does anybody have any trouble shooting advice before I replace the pump motor?

Thanks

Best thing to do is install a pressure gauge on the discharge line at the pump. Then let it cycle and watch for pressure to drop. If no leak in the unit it could leak back the inlet from bad check valve. Just my thought.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump