Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #1

Water Pump / Winterizing

Opinions, please...just got ready to winterize F.R. Flagstaff 832ikbs and proceeded as I have for 6 years. Turned all the by-pass valves, drained water heater, etc. This time, when I hooked up my outside hose between the Anti-freeze intake and the bucket of anti-freeze and turned pump on, when I opened a faucet to suck anti-freeze through the line, nothing but dribbles of water and lots of air. I double-checked everything...tried again, same results. For some reason, pump will not pull anti-freeze into the lines. The pump will work fine and put out a good flow of water if the lines are full. So, I dont think it is the pump itself. I removed anti-freeze line going to the diverter valve that goes into the pump and turned pump on and I got no suction whatsoever at that point. I removed the strainer from the pump...it was very clean...and covered the inlet to the pump and there was no vacuum there, either. I am thinking the diverter valve is bad. We just came off a trip and everything was working fine for us. Any ideas on where to go next? Everything is a pain to get to due to location under the bathroom sink, so I hate to have to start taking things apart or out w/o a good game plan and idea. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #2

I had the same problem winterizing SOB I solved the problem by priming the antifreeze line then the pump worked as normal. Something you might consider trying. If you have the shower mizer many have said that was a problem if positioned in the wrong mode. Good luck let the forum know what you find/fix
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Try pouring some antifreeze into the winterization line to prime the pump.
Also, keep the antifreeze container as high as possible, in line or above the plane of the pump.

I've had a few units that simply wouldn't suck antifreeze either. No issues with water.

With all the reports on R/V forums and my own experiences, I'm beginning to think there's something different about the molecular composition of R/V antifreeze -vs- water that doesn't allow the pump to suck antifreeze when it will easily suck water.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

Water pump

Ok, so here is what I know so far. I took the diverter valve out and checked it. It is functioning properly. The strainer located on the vacuum side of the pump is clean. Still not pulling antifreeze through the line. Have never had this issue before, but I will try the priming of the antifreeze line and also having the antifreeze bucket level with the intake line outside the RV. Maybe this will work. Does anyone think it could actually be the pump itself? There is nothing between the antifreeze intake and the pump except the diverter valve and the strainer. Also, as I have always winterized using the pumping of antifreeze into the lines, It is going to get real cold here for a few days. How do I winterize using the air compressor method? In other words, do I leave anode rod out of water heater and still turn all my bypass valves to "winterize" position? Do I leave faucets open? Have never used this method before and am unsure of the proper sequence of events to prevent freeze-ups. Thanks for everything, fellow campers.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

To blow the water lines out, set all your valves as if you are wintering, drain hot water tank and make sure it is bypassed. Hook up an air compressor to the City Water in line, make sure you don't use any pressure higher than 45 psi. As water system reaches pressure, open up one tap at a time and allow air to push all the water to your holding tanks. Do all of your taps, outside shower included. Open low point drains at the end to remove pressure from the system. Now pour some antifreeze down all your sink drains to displace any water in the traps. You can dump the water out of your holding tanks but if you dump enough antifreeze down your drains you should be good.
DJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
did you take the cap off of the end of the suction hose .ask me if I know any body that forgot to do this.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #7

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebuilder View Post
Ok, so here is what I know so far. I took the diverter valve out and checked it. It is functioning properly. The strainer located on the vacuum side of the pump is clean. Still not pulling antifreeze through the line. Have never had this issue before, but I will try the priming of the antifreeze line and also having the antifreeze bucket level with the intake line outside the RV. Maybe this will work. Does anyone think it could actually be the pump itself? There is nothing between the antifreeze intake and the pump except the diverter valve and the strainer. Also, as I have always winterized using the pumping of antifreeze into the lines, It is going to get real cold here for a few days. How do I winterize using the air compressor method? In other words, do I leave anode rod out of water heater and still turn all my bypass valves to "winterize" position? Do I leave faucets open? Have never used this method before and am unsure of the proper sequence of events to prevent freeze-ups. Thanks for everything, fellow campers.
I'm winterizing my Coachmen 26RKS now and after posting on another RV forum (forgot about this one!) I've determined that the plumbing is assembled incorrectly! The antifreeze tube, with valve, is on the wrong side of the freshwater tank diverter/shutoff valve. Unless someone here can suggest otherwise. If this is the case, it seems the pump will be sucking air from the freshwater tank instead of the antifreeze. (see photo) Could this be your problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aux pump connection.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	267273  
Old 01-12-2022, 02:40 AM   #8

Looks like the fresh water cut off valve should be upstream from the winterizer port. As it is, it looks like you are unable to pull only from the antifreeze source.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:41 AM   #9

Assuming the "extra line" is what you're using for antifreeze.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarGuy View Post
I'm winterizing my Coachmen 26RKS now and after posting on another RV forum (forgot about this one!) I've determined that the plumbing is assembled incorrectly! The antifreeze tube, with valve, is on the wrong side of the freshwater tank diverter/shutoff valve. Unless someone here can suggest otherwise. If this is the case, it seems the pump will be sucking air from the freshwater tank instead of the antifreeze. (see photo) Could this be your problem?

You are correct easy fix just move the antifreeze line and reconnect the suction line to the pump valve
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:06 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarGuy View Post
I'm a little late to the party on this one.

While that "looks" to possibly be a winterizing line, it 'could' be where the Showermiser valve return (the valve in the shower) would plumb in to return water back to the fresh tank.

Many of the plumbing lines are pre made for factory assembly speed and installed across several models.
If your model doesn't have the Showermizer valve, they simply turn off the valve pictured and not connect anything to the stub line.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter, winterizing