Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Question Water pump won't stop running.

Have a 2016 Windjammer 3029W.
With water in the fresh water holding tank I can use the "manual water pump switch" to turn on the pump. It works each time I open a faucet. All is Good!!

But if I drain all the water out of the fresh water holding tank the pump goes on and won't stop. Turning faucets on-off doesn't do a thing. Turning the "manual pump switch" off doesn't stop it either. Disconnecting the three wires to the manual pump switch won't stop it either. Only way I can stop the pump is to remove the 10 amp fuse in series with the pump (red wire) or engage the "battery power off switch".
I have no water leaks under the trailer and the system works fine as long as I have water in the fresh water holding tank.
This thing is driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

I'm thinking that your on/off switch is wired incorrectly ---- off should be off no matter what. But, it sounds like the only thing that turns your pump off is the pressure build that the pump creates when it pumps water and builds pressure. That will shut your pump off. Without water in the tank, it never builds any pressure. Therefore, just runs. Check your switch wiring.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Gold Miner At Heart

If there is no water in the holding tank the water pump is trying to plumb its self. So that's why it keeps running. Once the pump gets water from the tank it plumbs and shuts off. That's what it's suppose to do. It's not meant to run without water in the holding tank. However you should be able to turn off the pump with water in the tank or not. Something is wired wrong it sounds like.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Thanks fellas for your insight.
Took the panel off and checked out all the wiring ( in that's rats nest). Found four wires that had separated from their connectors. I thought, Holy Cow how am I ever going to find out where they go.
Solution actually was simpler than I thought. There was a heavy blue wire and a thin blue wire then there was a heavy grey wire and a thin grey wire. I took some jumpers and thought "what the heck I'll try it".

Sure enough all seems to be working a designed. Put it all back together and the Pump now is controlled by the manual switch like it should.

Thanks again guys- this is a very friendly bunch...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Glad you got it fixed ----- Happy to have helped.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Sorta makes yah proud to be a "guy." Congrats and buy yourself a beer!
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump