Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Water question

Ok bare with me I am newbie. I have a water question. When hooked up to a well with a water hose that unfortunately has poor water quality is any of that poor water going to get into the fresh water tanks?
If you have fresh water in the tanks and are hooked up to a hose could you switch back and forth using the poor well water for bathing, dishes and switch to fresh tanks for drinking water for coffee etc? My apologies if this is a real dumb question
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

Are using a water filter on the hose connection? Water from hose should not be getting to tanks unless you have a check valve quit on you. The only way that I see you doing what you want is to go outside and turn water off at spigot and then turn your pump on to use the good water in your tanks.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #3

Quote:
The only way that I see you doing what you want is to go outside and turn water off at spigot and then turn your pump on to use the good water in your tanks.
And you'd need to flush the "bad" water out of the plumbing inside the trailer. Which could take quite a bit of your fresh water.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Ok cool, told you I was a newbie!
So if iam hooked to city water and I have fresh water in my tanks and the pump is on, when I turn on the tap what is coming out
A)tank water
B) city water
C) combination
D) I am an idiot
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
So if iam hooked to city water and I have fresh water in my tanks and the pump is on, when I turn on the tap what is coming out
A)tank water
B) city water
C) combination
D) I am an idiot
Interesting question - I would think it is C, a combination of both water sources.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

My experience is that the pump will not come on with the city water hooked up because the pressure switch does not sense a drop in pressure in order to turn the pump on. I found this out while checking out my system. Pump would not operate with city water. I was getting ready to pull the pump when this occurred to me. Turned city water off and pump would work. Just my 2 cents.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #7

In reality it could be (e), all of the above, well maybe not the idiot part. But, most of the water trapped in the lines after shutting down city water would be minimal - <1/2 gal at the outside. The only water to worry about would be the kitchen sink water for washing dishes, food prep, etc. Your mouth is already worse off than the well water but you may want to use the kitchen water so you don't have to flush out the bath pipes just to brush teeth. The city pressure on the pump output side will keep the pump from coming on and you would have to shutoff the city supply to use the pump.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

I question what is meant by poor water quality. If you mean that it could make you sick. I don't think you can switch back an forth, Sometimes the 12v pump leaks back into the tank, so I would at least add a check value before the pump.
If it is just dirty water there are filter that you can add to your hose between the trailer and well water.
I am always suspect of the water in my tanks ( can't be sick when it is play time ) so I carry 5 gal of water from home and then fill a gal jug that we use for drinking and coffee. When you know you have good water fill the 5 gal again.

1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't mind doing a little plumbing, you could probably pick up a couple of winterizing bypass kits and rig them to split the city water to the bathroom and fresh tank water to the kitchen. You'll also need to dedicate the hot water tank to only one location as you're not going to want to mix good and bad water in the water heater. It's entirely doable if you want to do the work to segregate.

I think it's easier to get a $20-40 inline filter though, provide the well water is at least considered potable. If not, I'd just run off the fresh tank and never bother hooking up.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
A)tank water
B) city water
C) combination
D) I am an idiot
If the pump does not come on when you turn on the tap, you are getting city water! If you hear the pump come on you are likely getting a blend. To make it more complicated you also have to consider pressure switches and check valves.

Tags
water