Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 PM   #1

Water smell

We live in our new Wildwood and are hooked up to well water , the past few days our water smells like sewer , didn’t know if it was the sink drains so we added RV deodorizer and still the water smells , anyone have any ideas ?
Shellie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie68 View Post
We live in our new Wildwood and are hooked up to well water , the past few days our water smells like sewer , didn’t know if it was the sink drains so we added RV deodorizer and still the water smells , anyone have any ideas ?
I live in Florida and our home has a Well, our water often has a strong sulfur smell when it comes out of the faucet. This is very normal for FL ground water. But while I can smell the sulfur smell while filling a glass of water at the faucet, if the water sit for a minute and I smell the glass of water it has no sulfur smell.

It may just be the Well water in the area you are.

We have had our water tested and it is not a problem. And it tasted good.
-Russ
2019 F150 Screw, 6.5 bed, 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
w/ Trailer Tow Package - Yellow Sticker Payload : 1810 lbs. (sold)
RGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #3

Yes the well does have a sulfur smell in the main house, we are hooked up to the same water but this is worse than that smell , it’s like sewer
Old 04-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #4

Possibly sulfur in your well water.
largom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #5

If you have a deep drilled well, I doubt the smell comes from it. When we drilled wells, we would dump a bottle of bleach down the well to sanitize it and then use the well until there was no longer the smell of chlorine in the water. That is SOP for wells.

You can do something similar to your trailers Fresh water supply. 2-3 ounces of diluted chlorine bleach added to a 20 gallon tank. Flush it completely through your system.

I would suggest that most likely that it is your holding tanks that you are smelling.

I hate to bring it up, but there is a very remote possibility that a mouse crawled down into the drain pipe and died? As a last resort, you could try "snaking" your drain.

Edit: you can get your water tested relatively cheaply if it comes to that
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #6

Have you used your hose to dump your sewer, like with a macerator pump? Are you using your on-board water or is the water hooked up to come in the city water hookup?

Until I found out what it was, I would use bottled water to cook, clean and drink.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

Main house water has a sulfur smell and we are hooked up to the same water but this smell is not the same it’s like sewer
Old 04-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #8

We are hooked up year round to a well , the main house that has the same water does not smell like it does in trailer
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Sulfur.
Green Sand filters (akin to water softeners) are used to get rid of the sulfur. They utilize
KMnO4 (potassium permanganate)

Water treatment
Potassium permanganate is used extensively in the water treatment industry. It is used as a regeneration chemical to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) from well water via a "Manganese Greensand" Filter. "Pot-Perm" is also obtainable at pool supply stores and is used additionally to treat waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect drinking water[9][10] and can turn the water pink.[11] It currently finds application in the control of nuisance organisms such as zebra mussels in fresh water collection and treatment systems.[12]
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Is the smell coming from the hot water or cold water?

This video may help troubleshoot?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:21 PM   #11

Smells of cold or warm but seems worse on warm

Tags
water