Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Water Tank Overflow Issue

Hello! I'm new to this forum and very excited it exists. I bought a 2012 Georgetown earlier this year. Had a recent issue where I filled my fresh water tank and water started coming out the overflow and it didn't stop till the tank was drained! Is this normal? Seems a bit extreme to me. My wife also followed me to put her (the Georgetown that is ) back in to storage and she said every time I made a left turn a bunch a water would come out the overflow. I guess this explains why my fresh water wasn't completely full when I got to the camp site. What's the best fix for this? Was thinking of putting a valve on the overflow. A little risky as I'll need to remember to open it, but worth not losing water when driving the rig in to a dry camp. But I'm still under warranty, maybe the dealer can fix it? Or is this just how it's designed? I've seen a couple other threads on here that seem to point to that. Any input appreciated!!

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
Rockstar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar70 View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum and very excited it exists. I bought a 2012 Georgetown earlier this year. Had a recent issue where I filled my fresh water tank and water started coming out the overflow and it didn't stop till the tank was drained! Is this normal? Seems a bit extreme to me. My wife also followed me to put her (the Georgetown that is ) back in to storage and she said every time I made a left turn a bunch a water would come out the overflow. I guess this explains why my fresh water wasn't completely full when I got to the camp site. What's the best fix for this? Was thinking of putting a valve on the overflow. A little risky as I'll need to remember to open it, but worth not losing water when driving the rig in to a dry camp. But I'm still under warranty, maybe the dealer can fix it? Or is this just how it's designed? I've seen a couple other threads on here that seem to point to that. Any input appreciated!!

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
This is common, keep your tank low. The best fix is to raise the vent loop higher, now it leaves the tank and becomes a drag tube. Once a flow starts it becomes a simple syphon and will remove much of the tank. The second part of the fix is to install a anti-syphon valve (available at the major hardware stores, at the high point of this vent, so that vacuum cannot form and continue. How and where is based on your unit and whats above the tank for access.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #3

The tank on the Georgetown is so flat and shallow that the water can just slosh out. I don't think it has to actually "siphon" to lose lots of water. Kinda like trying to carry a flat pan full of water. Once the water starts to slosh back and forth, it just keeps going. there are a couple of solutions shown on the thread listed below. I opted for the ball valve solution at the end of The vent hose.

There is a pic. look for "filling fresh water on 378ts"

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

Thanks guys. After my initial post I found the 378TS post and LawFive's thread with his solution. I may go LawFive's route. Seems like a slick yet still easy fix. And then I don't have to remember to open and close the valve. Here's that thread for future reference: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...phon-5479.html

Thanks again!

JJ
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar70 View Post
Thanks guys. After my initial post I found the 378TS post and LawFive's thread with his solution. I may go LawFive's route. Seems like a slick yet still easy fix. And then I don't have to remember to open and close the valve. Here's that thread for future reference: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...phon-5479.html

Thanks again!

JJ
Just read the thread myself and although the syphon in the water compartment solves the overflow/sloshing problem, it forms another problem. If you pressurize the tank to shore pressure or 40 psi with that vent, the tank or fittings will break. Just like a short circuit in electiricity, something will give. The perfect answer was also in that thread. Run some vinyl hose connected tight to the vent/overflow. Extend to the engine comparment up to top elevation. Point the discharge down and I think its solved. No more syphon, slush or blocked tank. The vent in the Engine compartment will allow only 2-3 psi max.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Drinkin beer on the beach

I filled the tank in my trailer to the very top. The problem is, that when I back out of my spot to turn around, the trailer goes up this little off camber hill next to the driveway. It causes a lot of water to spill out the vent...

Is it bad that I make my girlfriend run along side the trailer with her thumb over the vent hole to keep the water in the tank while I turn around?
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #7

VinceU - I think I may opt for a simple ball valve. I don't think I'm willing to take the time to run a hose to the engine compartment. If I go the ball valve route, most of the time I can leave the ball valve open. It's only those rare times when I'll be dry camping and need all 50 gallons in my tank as i travel in, That's when I'll close the ball valve.

Rod - That's what girlfriends are for! Well, that and other things....
Old 11-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
Rod Johnsons Co Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post

Is it bad that I make my girlfriend run along side the trailer with her thumb over the vent hole to keep the water in the tank while I turn around?
Its only bad when you make me run along side of the trailer when you are driving down the freeway!
Traci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traci View Post
Its only bad when you make me run along side of the trailer when you are driving down the freeway!
nice reply.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

It is common with georgetowns.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I filled the tank in my trailer to the very top. The problem is, that when I back out of my spot to turn around, the trailer goes up this little off camber hill next to the driveway. It causes a lot of water to spill out the vent...

I do the same thing. It's one of the few times that my wife actually appreciates my girlfriend.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
I do the same thing. It's one of the few times that my wife actually appreciates my girlfriend.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote