Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
There are more elegant solutions for transferring grey (and black) water, but I think they are overkill for grey water. A 5 gallon bucket (or two) is all you need to deal with excess grey water.

For grey water I carry on old garden 50' garden hose and connect it to the hose adapter on my dump outlet cap. The old hose is easy to ID as a waste water only hose. I can usually find a thirsty tree within reach of the hose and to help things along I sometimes take a couple of scoops with a camp shovel to give the water an easier path into the soil.

Black water doesn't seem to be as big an issue for me as there is just one of us. Tank is good for a couple weeks. Now if I still had my family aboard that would be a different story

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #22

Just be aware that many state parks and National Forest Service campgrounds will ticket you for dumping grey water. Not only is there the usual a hole that will abuse the situation and ruin it for everybody else, but the food particles in a galley tank can attract bears and other critters. I use a portable 15 gallon tank with wheels when we boondock and haul it to the pit toilets or bathrooms. You can buy bigger ones, but unless you're Arnold, they are impossible to handle.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Just be aware that many state parks and National Forest Service campgrounds will ticket you for dumping grey water. Not only is there the usual a hole that will abuse the situation and ruin it for everybody else, but the food particles in a galley tank can attract bears and other critters. I use a portable 15 gallon tank with wheels when we boondock and haul it to the pit toilets or bathrooms. You can buy bigger ones, but unless you're Arnold, they are impossible to handle.
X2 - Florida State Parks do not allow dumping grey water. That said I wonder what tenters do when washing their dishes outside in a bucket? I think I know the answer!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
X2 - Florida State Parks do not allow dumping grey water. That said I wonder what tenters do when washing their dishes outside in a bucket? I think I know the answer!
A dish pan of soapy water is a little different that a 40 gallon tank of gray water...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
A dish pan of soapy water is a little different that a 40 gallon tank of gray water...
Yeah you’re right on that but I was only stating what the R&R’s say. I think I alluded to fact that a tenter would dump his soapy water as you mentioned-if you had read my post carefully you would have picked up on that and not have been so confused!
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #26
Site Team

Site Team Note:

Please don't turn yet another thread into a "Dump/Don't Dump Gray Water" argument. We have several other threads that went down that drain.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
The best camper mod I have ever made:Attachment 191243
I don't know why it's sideways. On my PC, it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
2nd attempt
Attachment 191244
I give up. I quarter turned the first photo to the right.
Quote:
It's because you shot it on a cell phone vertically.

Don't ask me why...but lots of cell phone photos will do this...no matter what you do with them on the phone or in Photoshop!

Always shoot photos horizontally (after all, most TV's and computer screens are horizontally widescreen anywayz) and they will post correctly.
How about this?...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeeLevel II.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	191402  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
How about this?...
Thanks 5picker.

Most people don't trust their sensors.
Many have workarounds that suit them just fine.

But if you are continually frustrated by them, SeeLevel II is the solution. The sensor strips are on the outside of the tanks and sense the levels by the difference in density. They have a lot of configurations to accommodate number of tanks, tank sizes, pump and W/H switches, etc.
We LOVE ours!

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechjet16mf View Post
On our Flagstaff 27RLWS, when the grey water tank is full, it backs up in the shower. Our sensors read 2/3 full all the time, so, I have found out about how many days go by before we are full. That's when we empty.
Since day one mind (Flagstaff 832 IKBS) has been screwed up. Like you we've learned to adjust based on number of days - usually about two and half or three days. However, I found a "tech sheet" not a recall that gave me a tech number and I took it to my RV dealer and they said it's a notice for the dealer to REPLACE the instrument panel. So I will be dropping my tt at the dealer this coming Spring. You might want to check this out. I found the tech sheet on this forum. Just put your RV info in and it should tell you if your unit us on the list and if it's a Lippert it most likely will be..
Old 11-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-mph21 View Post
my galley tank always shows 33% full, even after emptying

what will happen when it's full?
will water start coming up the kitchen sink drain, or worse...?

and of course,
what are some things i can try, to clean the sensors?

thank you
marc
IF you are LUCKY, yes it will come up thru the drain. If not then you will notice as it comes out the bottom of your cabinets and across the floor (as we did).

Seems Ziggy Belcher did not tighten down the P trap connections at all.

So, word to the wise, inspect and insure you above floor connections are TITE to insure it come up into the sink ...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #31

Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-mph21 View Post
my galley tank always shows 33% full, even after emptying

what will happen when it's full?
will water start coming up the kitchen sink drain, or worse...?

and of course,
what are some things i can try, to clean the sensors?

thank you
marc
Three words: Horst Miracle Probes!
Sprinter2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #32
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We use the Geo Method religiously after every dump. Calgon is hard to find so sometimes I use borax, it goes in gray and black tank. And Dawn or Costco version of Dawn dish detergent in the black tank.
Lately, sometimes, our sensors say 1/3rd full even immediately after emptying. I would like the Seelevel thing or the Horscht probes but my husband doesn’t worry so much. As long as it doesn’t say full when it’s not and really drive me bats!
In the past, I did not flush non poop paper but now that we full-time, I decided that wasn’t necessary, I’m flushing it all.
And we wipe out dishes very well before washing them and I’m not going to discuss throwing out dish washing water under a tree, except in bear country.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #33

I had the same problem with my "galley/kitchen" tank sensor. mine always should more than what was in the tank when I emptied. googled how to clean galley tank, saw where somebody said to use automatic gel dishwashing detergent, won't suds up, and fill you tank about 2/3rds full with hot water. also did this to my grey "shower" water tank just for kicks. go drive around with a lot of abrupt stops and good cornering. went to the local city rv park and emptied. now gauges read empty.
tohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 AM   #34

Tank levels

I'm stationary in a campground and my black tank says 3/4 full even after dumping. I've use the flusher provided and did the stick down the toilet. May work temporarily but in the end, still is 3/4 full. I figured its just a normal thing and I dump my tank on a regular basis...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #35

Probably obvious to most but traveling with any tanks filled is tough on your mileage. I roll empty and buy bottled water for drinking if the campground water is funky. Years spent on boats broke me of drinking tank water.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #36

I like to roll with 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water...

Nice to be able to have a rest stop wherever you want to...even on an exit ramp or brake check area if needed!

Or even while filling the tank so you don't have to go inside the gas station!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #37

Quote:

Nice to be able to have a rest stop wherever you want to...even on an exit ramp or brake check area if needed!

x2
That's one of the main reasons we like to drag a bathroom around behind us.
And the sloshing around on the road helps break down the contents.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #38

Quote:

John, do same here, but I don't run that much in my tanks, I aim for about a ¼ tank. Running less gives more slosh which is good.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
John, do same here, but I don't run that much in my tanks, I aim for about a ¼ tank. Running less gives more slosh which is good.
I've found that with less than 1/3 of a tank I don't get much water until the pump quits pumping.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #40

Quote:
I've found that with less than 1/3 of a tank I don't get much water until the pump quits pumping.
I strictly do for keeping my tanks clean and when I pull into my next RV park I drain all tanks and start over...

Tags
tank