Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

Where should I put my water filter

Where do you put your water filter for city water and why? At the spigot? At the city water connection?
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
Just Tryin' to Help

For the past few years I have used the onboard water filter, but this year I removed it (got tired of the expensive filters and it was a pain to reach).
I plan to use the external filters now and will put it on the pedestal if the spigot is high enough. If not high enough then at the camper where the city hookup is. I would say it doesn't matter where you put it as long as it is before the water gets to the RV.
Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1050
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

When I bother the in-line hose filter goes where the water enters the camper so it filters all the water in the hose too.

To keep the inside of the hose clean I drain and then couple it end to end before storage. Protects the threads too. Same thing for electrical extension cords with mating connectors to protect the connectors (some like the main power cord don't have mating connectors and need special protection).

-- Chuck
Old 09-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrxaide View Post
Where do you put your water filter for city water and why? At the spigot? At the city water connection?
There is a very good chance you have a water filter already installed. This will depend of course on what make/model of RV you have.

If there is already a filter installed it's really more than adequate and unlike filters mounted between City Water connection and RV, the factory installed filter will also filter water from the onboard water tank. (I even drink the water from the tank and after it's passed through the factory filter it tastes as good as bottled water.)

Most people install outside filters because they feel the replacement filter elements for the factory installed units are too expensive or too difficult to replace. I find neither to be an issue for me as replacing is only a once per year event if infrequent use or once every 10,000 gallons or so if I were living aboard.

MOST of the cheap inline filters people use are inferior filters when compared to the factory filter but it's their choice. Others purchase large, more expensive, units that are more suitable for large residences.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #5

I put mine at the city water connection. My thought is the water coming out of the filter is probably better than the water coming out of the filter and then the house.
DRM796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
NXR

At the spigot. It helps keep the built-in filter cleaner and if I need to add water to the fresh tank it (somewhat) filters that water. On ours, the built-in filter does not filter water going into the fresh tank, just the water coming out.

Most inline water filters are 20 microns while the KW1 built-in filter on ours is 5 microns. So far, after spending about a full year in the motorhome, we have not had a single issue with plugged-up faucet aerator screens or any other plugged-up screens.

Ray
Old 09-18-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Team

x2 for at the spigot.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #8

Smile How I Do It

I use one of the in-line blue filters. I have the factory filter inside the trailer which works very well at cleaning the water. I use the in-line filter as a pre-filter to get out the larger particles, this helps the factoryís filter last longer, reducing replacement costs.

Since every water spigot is a different height, Iíve seen them anywhere from 3Ē to 4 feet off the ground, Iíve found it convenient to use a short, 4í to 6í, jumper hose to connect to the spigot. The jumper hose ensures that there isnít the strain on the regulator and filter that you can get if you hook them directly to the spigot. It also makes it easier to set you filter in a safe location. Then the pressure regulator goes on the jumper hose followed by the in-line filter. Once I have this hooked up, I turn on the spigot to ensure that everything is well flushed out. Then connect the long hose to the filter over to the trailer and turn the water on again to insure nothing happened to get into the hose when in storage. I use a 90-degree angle adapter to connect the hose to the trailer itself since the inlet sits high on the rear of the trailer and points straight out.

When Iím packing up to leave, I drain the water out of the long hose and coil it up and, like Chuck S, I connect the ends together. Keeps the hose from uncoiling, prevents water from leaking out into the storage compartment and keeps dirt from getting into the hose. Make sure Iíve removed the adapter from the hose and capped the intake fitting. Then itís over to the spigot and remove the jumper hose. Drain out the jumper hose and filter as best I can and connect the female end of the jumper hose to the male end of the filter to avoid leaks and protect the threads.

As with everything else you do when packing up, double check. I remember that because I remember leaving a brand new brass pressure regulator and a brand new filter hanging from a spigot and not realizing it until 250 miles down the road.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
GrandpaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

I purchased an “L” connector to attach the inline filter directly to the city water connection. Connect the “L” to the camper, then connect the filter to the other end of the “L”. It allows the filter and hose to come in at an angle, and it rests on the rear bumper. That keeps the weight of the full hose off of the city connection.
Nutz4OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #10

I got tired of the hard-to-reach built-in filter and worrying about too high pressure and dealing with the pressure regulator and such. I then only put water into the fresh thank through a filter in the hose and always use the RV's water pump. Because most filters tend to remove chlorine, I sometimes squirt some chlorine into the fresh tank when adding water.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

I use a pair of whole house filters. First housing has a cheap string filter to grab the larger grit. Second is a .5 micron good for cysts and such. When in use, the filters fit nicely between the trailer bumper and box. Housings are opaque so no worry about sunlight causing growth of algae inside the filter. Filters are available at most hardware stores.
Like Hclrkx, I run all water thru my FW tank and may also add a teaspoon of bleach if I have any concerns about the water.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #12

At the spigot for sure.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
There is a very good chance you have a water filter already installed. This will depend of course on what make/model of RV you have.

If there is already a filter installed it's really more than adequate and unlike filters mounted between City Water connection and RV, the factory installed filter will also filter water from the onboard water tank. (I even drink the water from the tank and after it's passed through the factory filter it tastes as good as bottled
Most people install outside filters because they feel the replacement filter elements for the factory installed units are too expensive or too difficult to replace. I find neither to be an issue for me as replacing is only a once per year event if infrequent use or once every 10,000 gallons or so if I were living aboard.

MOST of the cheap inline filters people use are inferior filters when compared to the factory filter but it's their choice. Others purchase large, more expensive, units that are more suitable for large residences.
It only takes one time for the onboard filter to break to decide to remove it and go with an in line one.
HAMMDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMDOWN View Post
It only takes one time for the onboard filter to break to decide to remove it and go with an in line one.
Breaking occurs for two reasons. Freezing and "human damage". Both preventable.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #15

Keep it simple

I think many of you are making this way too complex. I believe the OP is just asking which end of the hose to screw on his blue Camco filter. It doesn't make much difference. For convenience, I connect my hose to the faucet, the blue filter my hose, the blue filter to a 90į connector, and the 90į connector to my camper's city water inlet. Personal choice--there's no right or wrong. Without the 90į connector, I would probably start with the filter at the faucet.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

At the spigot. Why not keep the hose and everything in between the R/V clean?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #17

Water filter

If you have the built-in FR1 filter it is a 5 micron the blue Camcorder is 20 microns. The location of the factory filter in mine was PIA to reach. So I Got a stand for the factory filter and covered that filter w/ tape to prevent algae. I also found w/ the Camco filer it was causing problems w/ my Suburban Instant heat hot water heater. Suburban says it is a safety feature due to low water flow. I put quick disconnects on all the water hoses.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
I place the filter at the water spigot so I donít burst the water hose with the city high water pressure
Royboy
royboy334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #19

I put ours at the spigot, but I am planning to put one under the kitchen sink for cold water. My feeling is I don't want the taste of the plastic you get, running through the camper. With it close to the faucet it shouldn't get a plastic smell or taste.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
I put mine on the city water connection and after a couple years the connection cracked which cost me 35 bucks at an RV "store" so now I put it on the water softener inlet.
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter