Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

Where to Find Low Point Drains?

I have a Wildwood DLX 39FDEN park model trailer which I will be winterizing for the very first time this weekend. I am going to use a 1/6 HP water pump to pump antifreeze through the system. I think I have everything figured out: drain hot water tank, bypass water heater, pump antifreeze through each hot water faucet then each cold water faucet and toilet, the pour in drain traps and toilet bowl.

Many instructions say that you should first open the LOW POINT DRAINS to drain water out. I have not seen such drains on my unit and am wondering if it has them. Do all trailers have them? Any idea where I should look for them? Am I OK to proceed the sequence listed above if no drains are found? I think the pump should force all the water out if antifreeze is pumped until it comes through every faucet. Any advice is appreciated as I don't want to screw this up.
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #2

Low Point Drains should be underneath the trailer somewhere. Not sure on your exact model but mine were by entry door. There should be a pair of blue/red water lines protruding underneath trailer with black caps on them. After I'm done blowing out the lines with water I open up the caps and let any remaining water drain out before I pump antifreeze through the system.

Doesn't hurt to open up the Fresh Water Drain underneath as well to get any water sitting in the drain out.

You will need to crawl underneath the trailer and start looking for the lines. May be near the frame rail somewhere. If you can't find them I would put a call into a dealer and ask where they may be.

As long as you get the pink stuff coming out of all your faucets, showers, toilets and any outside water devices I think you will be ok but for your own knowledge I would try to find the low point drains anyway...

Not sure if this helps or not.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togger View Post
I have a Wildwood DLX 39FDEN park model trailer which I will be winterizing for the very first time this weekend. I am going to use a 1/6 HP water pump to pump antifreeze through the system. I think I have everything figured out: drain hot water tank, bypass water heater, pump antifreeze through each hot water faucet then each cold water faucet and toilet, the pour in drain traps and toilet bowl.

Many instructions say that you should first open the LOW POINT DRAINS to drain water out. I have not seen such drains on my unit and am wondering if it has them. Do all trailers have them? Any idea where I should look for them? Am I OK to proceed the sequence listed above if no drains are found? I think the pump should force all the water out if antifreeze is pumped until it comes through every faucet. Any advice is appreciated as I don't want to screw this up.
Check your lines you should see then hanging down below the belly. Also make sure your FW tank is closed by the valve on the line between the tank and the pump. If you are using the winterize connection you won't pick the pink up with it open....My Drain lines are by the pump area a good place to check. You might also consider installing two shut off valves to them inside the belly so they can not hold water exposed. I got into some unexpected cold weather and that is the only place they froze. Once that started it loosened the crimp bands and I had a leak in the belly.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My park model does not have pow point drains. I just pump lots of pink stuff through, make sure you do the washer connections and also flush these in spring as well.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
My park model does not have pow point drains. I just pump lots of pink stuff through, make sure you do the washer connections and also flush these in spring as well.
These park models seem to be a different creature. I remember you also stating that they use your gray tanks as vents for the parks septic system. I hope Bob Caldwell doesn't find out... Where is your seasonal park at here in the USA or is it in Canada?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I just did! B and B's site is in Canada, and the wind blows from south to north.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Air Force Retiree

Sunseeker 3050.

Does anyone know where the cold water low water drain is located on a 2014 Sunseeker 3050. I found the hot water and the fresh water drain, but no cold water drain.
Retired Air Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

If you can't find your low point drains now, it will be obvious where they are next spring.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Retired Army MSG!

On my 16 Coachmen Chaparral low.point drains are located under trailer just below the city.water.connection.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

On my 3100 SunSeeker, they valve for FWT is located in same place as water filter and water pump. Hope this helps.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
If you can't find your low point drains now, it will be obvious where they are next spring.

Bruce
So are you saying that if you pump antifreeze through all supply lines without opening low point drains they will crack, even though the supply lines are protected??

Are they pipes that protrude down below the rest of the plumbing lines that wouldn't get the water out when the rest of the system is flushed with the pink stuff??

I will be pumping antifreeze in through the city water connection. My trailer does not have a fresh water tank. Can anyone enlighten me if I need to be worried about them if I don't see them obviously protruding down under the trailer?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Left Coast

What is your trailer?
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togger View Post
So are you saying that if you pump antifreeze through all supply lines without opening low point drains they will crack, even though the supply lines are protected??

Are they pipes that protrude down below the rest of the plumbing lines that wouldn't get the water out when the rest of the system is flushed with the pink stuff??

I will be pumping antifreeze in through the city water connection. My trailer does not have a fresh water tank. Can anyone enlighten me if I need to be worried about them if I don't see them obviously protruding down under the trailer?
Yes. The water that is trapped in your low point drains will remain static while you pump the pink stuff through the rest of the system and will not see the benefit of any of the pink stuff. They will certainly freeze, but you may get lucky and they might not split.

I'm pretty confident somebody here who owns the same unit as you will eventually chime in to help you out on their location.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What is your trailer?
It is a Wildwood DLX 39FDEN Park Model.

BRUCE
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
Left Coast

Just went to your first post and answered my question. And yes, if there's water remaining in system, the pink stuff will just dead-end against it. Might call factory to speed up your search for the drains and to find out about fresh water drain.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #16

It is a Wildwood DLX 39FDEN 2015 park model. I have to travel to it this weekend and am trying to be prepared because there is much to do. I have never winterized it before. I have to prep it for pick-up. Forest River is taking it back to the factory to repair a rainwater leak under warranty that has been a nightmare (a whole other story).

I just want to know if I have to worry about crawling under the camper looking for some low point drains that it may or may not have, or if I'm safe to winterize it as described if drains under the camper aren't visibly obvious.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
Left Coast

If it's leav'n soon, I would just put a note with it and let FR handle it.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #18

They told me I was responsible to winterize.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #19
Left Coast

Call'em and find out where the drains are then.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #20
Old Ram Guy

Togger - I just purchased a Park Model and I don't have holding tanks or low point drains. I looked at quite a few of them when I was looking for the one I wanted and I don't recall seeing low point drains on any of them. I don't think there is any need for them without holding tanks. Bob is right though - better safe than sorry and just give them a call to make sure.

Tags
drain