Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Whirlpool Front Loading Washer vibrates wildly on spin

Our Berkshire 34QS has the stacked Whirlpool washer and drier. The washing machine shakes wildly on the spin cycle. The whole coach shakes and it seems like the wood cabinets around the washer won't last for more than a season of this.

The problem does not occur if we run the machine with nothing in it, so it does depend on having clothes.

We are using the Gentle Spin speed. And it has happened on several different loads, including a load of several small items like underwear and socks. That should be the most ideal load to rebalance.

In the instruction manual, it says that the spin can shake hard if they forget to remove the 4 shipping bolts. To verify this, I'd have to take the RV in for warranty service. But, our Dealer (the one nearest Calgary) is useless for warranty, in our experience.

So I wanted to get other people's opinions as to whether they have had such a problem. Have other people had this behaviour? Ist it normal? Have other people had theirs installed with the 4 shipping bolts remaining? I just want your opinions, so that I can go in to the Dealer with a very clear explanation.

-- Gordon
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

I have a different unit (Splendide washer/dryer combo) but had the same problem. When I slid the unit in to place I dislodged one of the rubber feet from the bottom. The shaking subsided when I found this was missing and replaced.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #3

Take the front bottom plate off and check the shock dampeners one of the holes that the locking pin goes into most likely broke.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #4

Whirlpool or Splendide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Take the front bottom plate off and check the shock dampeners one of the holes that the locking pin goes into most likely broke.
Toddupton,
Are you talking about the front panel on the Whirlpool or the Splendide? I can't find way to remove the front panel on the Whirlpool.

BTW, while looking for a removable front panel on my Whirlpool, I notice that there is absolutely no give or flexibility in the drum. It seems to me that my Whirlpool/Kenmore full sized front loader does let the drum move back and forth (not just around) when you push it. Do others find this flexibility in their Whirpool RV models? If so, it is strong evidence that the installer never removed the shipping blocks.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Canadian Full Timer

Our machine is an Ariston all in one and it shakes badly on the spin cycles also. I just thought it was normal. The shipping pins were removed when we installed, as instructed. Some loads make the machine shake worse than others but I just push the machine back into its normal position if necessary when all the shake, rattle and roll is over.
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
Canadian Full Timer

@R3Jones - I might have a peek inside that bottom panel on our Ariston combo - I never even thought about one of those rubber feet being missing. Thanks!
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Anacortesians

Front loaders are inherently out of balance when they start the spin cycle, because all the wet, heavy clothes are clumped at the bottom of the drum. Most times, the spinning soon separates them out as the water is dispersed and the vibration level goes down. They never get as smooth as a top loader.

We bought a "Eurostar" combo for the house when we moved in, which I think is what the "Splendide" started out as. That vibrated so badly that pictures on the wall in the next room fell off the wall and wallboard nails were popping out of the laundry room wall. We had a manufacturer rep pay a visit and he said that was typical. We sold it back to the dealer and got a top loader and separate dryer.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Front loaders are inherently out of balance when they start the spin cycle, because all the wet, heavy clothes are clumped at the bottom of the drum. Most times, the spinning soon separates them out as the water is dispersed and the vibration level goes down. They never get as smooth as a top loader.

We bought a "Eurostar" combo for the house when we moved in, which I think is what the "Splendide" started out as. That vibrated so badly that pictures on the wall in the next room fell off the wall and wallboard nails were popping out of the laundry room wall. We had a manufacturer rep pay a visit and he said that was typical. We sold it back to the dealer and got a top loader and separate dryer.
Frank and Eileen,
We do have full sized front loader at home an it never shakes as badly as this, even with big items that can have balance problems. The balance never improves as the water disperses.

Since there is no flex to the drum, I'm now pretty sure the shipping bolts were left in. Pulling it out is more than I can do myself, so I'll just have to hope that I get decent warranty service.

Your experience with the front loader was pretty wild, and it would be enough for me to want to give up on them, too.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #9

Conclusion: the problem was the shipping blocks

To conclude this thread, I'll say that I had the washer repaired under warranty. As I came to suspect, the shipping blocks were left in. The dealer had to get an appliance company in for the work. So, if you are a long distance from your dealership with this problem, you might try to approach FR directly to get authorization for repair, because the appliance people come to your residence. You don't go to them.

The major diagnostic for the problem is that the washer drum only rotates. It doesn't flex back and forth. Try a working front loader to feel how the flex should work.