Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #1

Why a Slow drain in bathroom sink (Hint: bad factory install)

This is just an FYI for those that may have had a Flagstaff made around the same time as mine.
We have a 2018 Flagstaff 19FDBHG that we purchased as a left over this last January and have had very few issues and are generally happy with it.
After a month or so, we noticed the bathroom sink was beginning to drain slow and back up. We ran hot water and that helped for a while. Recently I began taking the shower head off and using the shower hose to force water down the drain. It worked well for a few weeks then the other day that didn’t even help.
Last weekend I decided it was time to get serious and really fix the drain. I got the snake out and was prepared to go on the offensive. I removed the P-Trap carefully draining it into a pan when I heard a “Ping” in the metal cake pan I was using. It was one of my wife’s ear rings. She reminded me that was one of four that made its way down the drain. Ok. Then I loosened the tail pipe and tried to pull it out of the stack. At first I thought that it may have been glued in but I was finally able to twist it slightly and work it out. Immediately I knew why the drain was slow. The tail pipe had not been cut to fit when it was installed but forced in hard enough against the back of the stack to shape the end into an oval. The tail pipe had enough build up to equal one that had been in use for years. My guess is one or more of my wife’s ear rings couldn’t pass through the small passage and created a build up of debris. Anyway, I cut about 2” off the tailpipe and no more slow drain. Now to dig out that CD that the entertainment center ate last week...
sebringfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, drain, factory, roo, sink