RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #21
ExNavy-Exphoneguy

I used air untill the water pump froze and cracked. Didn't know untill used the pump and it didn't work.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #22

Pink stuff

Winterized last year and missed a small spot in the kitchen sink faucet and ended up replacing it this spring. This year will blow out and pump pink stuff. Cheap insurance for when it gets -20 degree. Here in the Midwest.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #23
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I am curious why anyone would add hazardous or any deleterious chemical to their plumbing even if touted as safe.. I dont see where its necessary and just another overdone or unnecessary maintenance chore.Prior to winter why not just drain all your tanks, water heater, filters etc , and then blow air through each fixture one by one to eliminate any water residual in the pipes. Leave all fixtures open and drains open .. done and done.
In Florida this may be true, but where I live it is never overdone or unnecessary maintenance. In the winter we live by the rule: If it can freeze it will. Air will always take the least path of resistance, often going around residual water in a low spot in the line. I never run the pink stuff through the FW tank, water heater or filter.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #24
Happycamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RV antifreeze is neither hazardous nor deleterious. It's nothing like automotive antifreeze. Have actually read up on RV antifreeze?
Living on Puget Sound, we don't get hard freezes and I clear my lines with air but I still put RV antifreeze in the traps.
X2. Minimal use in the traps.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Definitely some good points..
However, I am not sure adding anti freeze to the pipes will make them any warmer if temperature is the deteriorating factor as mentioned.
It does not make the pipes warmer it keeps the water that may be in them or in other areas from freezing. Big difference.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #26

Lowers it

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Antifreeze of any type does not make anything "warmer" It raises the freezing temperature of any liquid it mixes with or replaces.
I'm sure you meant to write that adding antifreeze lowers the freezing point.

In general, mixing two chemicals results in freezing point depression and boiling point elevation.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 09-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #27

Depending where you live in Florida, you may never have to winterize. Houston where we live seldom has a 'hard freeze'. We drained and blew out the lines and left the faucets open so that if there were a freeze, the water had room to expand.
Then we bought a rig with an enclosed belly and when a 'hard freeze' looked like it was headed our way, we added the RV Antifreeze.
Just make certain you don't add it to your fresh water tank. They tell me that it takes forever to get rid of the taste.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #28

Quote:
However, I am not sure adding anti freeze to the pipes will make them any warmer if temperature is the deteriorating factor as mentioned.
RV antifreeze is designed to shrink When it freezes instead of expand like water so it saves the plumbing.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #29
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
RV antifreeze is designed to shrink When it freezes instead of expand like water so it saves the plumbing.
As a retired chemist, I would ask how is this possible?
Anti freeze is not designed to freeze.

Just a question.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #30

Anti-freeze

My tale i$ one that happened in $eptember here in Ontario.
One night of dry camping on the range, prior to a CAS match, temperature dropped to 25F for the night. Nice and cozy in the sleeping bags and we'll turn on the furnace in the morning and put on the coffee.
We woke to cracked fittings in a number of places including the toilet.

Pink for me now, from Battle of Britain Sunday until the Victoria Day weekend.
I carry bottled water with me for coffee and tea etc, and flush with the pink if I'm using the motor home in that period as it's a lot cheaper, easier and more convenient than replacing fittings
Old 09-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post

Just a question.
The instructions on the antifreeze I used last year stated similar to what Dsimes said in extreme temps. We'll easily see -40C ambient over winter.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Old 09-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #32

Quote:

Just a question.
It doesnt actually freeze it just contracts as opposed to expand.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #33

You better to be sure and blow out the water from filters and sediment bowls! I have two sediment bowls and could never blow out all the water. Also, I don't know if it is possible to blow water out of the water pump, having never done it. It seems both work the best for my peace of mind!! I know I have done all I can do! We are taking chances with a lot of money repairs and the misery freezing and busting can do!
Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #34
D W

Quote:

Just a question.
The way it was explained to me by a Prestone Tech Rep years ago was that water freezes when the oxygen and hydrogen atoms in water cool, slow down and stop moving they bond together. That happens at 32F when freezing starts. The trapped oxygen then begins to expand, like it does in an ice cube. The alcohol, whether it be ethylene or propylene is mixed in glycol as a suspension agent. These mixtures keep the atoms from bonding together and freezing. When I lived in Fairbanks I had pink stuff "slush" in the toilet at -50F, but it didn't solidify.

I know the stuff works, so I don't think about it too much.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzy View Post
My first camping trip after blowing out the anti-freeze in my new to me camper I fired up the water heater and took a shower and pretty quick notice something wasn't right. While toweling myself off the propane/CO alarm went off and I had the windows open. Whatevers in that pink stuff the alarm did not like and it is very sensitive. After that episode, I now make sure everything gets blown out.
Antifreeze should never enter the water heater. Bypass the heater prior to adding antifreeze and the system thoroughly flushed with clean water before un-bypassing the water heater.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The way it was explained to me by a Prestone Tech Rep years ago was that water freezes when the oxygen and hydrogen atoms in water cool, slow down and stop moving they bond together. That happens at 32F when freezing starts. The trapped oxygen then begins to expand, like it does in an ice cube. The alcohol, whether it be ethylene or propylene is mixed in glycol as a suspension agent. These mixtures keep the atoms from bonding together and freezing. When I lived in Fairbanks I had pink stuff "slush" in the toilet at -50F, but it didn't solidify.

I know the stuff works, so I don't think about it too much.
Im the same way... it works so I just leave it at that.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer44 View Post
You better to be sure and blow out the water from filters and sediment bowls! I have two sediment bowls and could never blow out all the water. Also, I don't know if it is possible to blow water out of the water pump, having never done it. It seems both work the best for my peace of mind!! I know I have done all I can do! We are taking chances with a lot of money repairs and the misery freezing and busting can do!
For my water pump I always run it dry, then empty the screen (sediment) bowl, and disconnect/reconnect the input/output lines to clear any residual water.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #38
Joe Cl

If you leave outside drains open insects could make nests in your plumbing. Also a good idea to put screening on bumper end if you store your stinky slinky there.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #39

This is my 3rd winter with RV. The first year I blew out the water lines 40 psi. My water pump was making extreme noise that year I worked on it. It was had to get to, taking apart connections found lots of water in the system esp. the strainer. Decided not to take a chance and have connections freeze used antifreeze. Do not put antifreeze in water tank just in water lines after pump. Blow lines out first, drain hot water tank, put in bypass. Anyway my shower drain had a leak in it found it by putting antifreeze in it, but that another story.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #40

Quote:
What are you even talking about ? Anti freeze to the pipes to make them warmer ??
Closed Thread

Tags
plumbing, winter, winterizing