Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #61

I quit adding anti-freeze to my water system when I started camping through the winter. A good blow down with air, opening all valves one at a time and "flushing" the toilet has done a great job with no freezing pipes or broken fittings/valves.

Takes a while but I can do other things while air is blowing through the lines.

Air blow down cuts down on the amount of time necessary to "de-winterize" when I decide to take a trip in Dec, Jan, or Feb.

Of course the design of my TT makes this fairly easy. All the lines are either flat or sloped to the low point drains and inside heated space. I'm sure that some setups have various trap points and could be more difficult to blow the water out. But then again how are they different than sprinkler systems that are blown dry before winter freezes. Let the air blow long enough and even residual water is literally evaporated.

Antifreeze is certainly a quick way to make sure the lines don't freeze but any time saved on the front end is spent on the back end. Flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines can take a long time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #62

Just a couple of questions

Before anybody gets too excited, just a couple of questions. I'm not suggesting anything. For those who blow out their systems with compressed air, do you use an oil-less air compressor? Is anyone concerned about what they could be blowing into their plumbing system, no matter what the source is? Again, I'm just asking....

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Old 09-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Before anybody gets too excited, just a couple of questions. I'm not suggesting anything. For those who blow out their systems with compressed air, do you use an oil-less air compressor? Is anyone concerned about what they could be blowing into their plumbing system, no matter what the source is? Again, I'm just asking....
I don't use an oil-less compressor but do use an inline filter like used for paint spraying applications that need oil free air.

As far as "worrying", the closer I get to 80 the less I worry about most things. Nothing has killed me yet and trust me, there have plenty of "opportunities".[emoji16]

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Yes...the same one I bought for inflating my tires to 95lbs. and fits in my basement compartment.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 09-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #65

Quote:
My 30 year old "made in the USA" compressor only needs oil in the actual tools. No oil required in the compressor.

As to any contaminants. I always rinse out the fresh water system at the beginning of the camping season. Then disinfect with bleach. Then never actually drink the water. Prost!

Oh yeah approaching 80 also. Damm the torpedoes
I have the T-shirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	still crazy after all these beers.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	239420  
Old 09-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #66

Oil-type

Quote:
My compressor is the type with an oil-filled crankcase. That is why I DO NOT use it to blow out the system. I simply fill the entire system (except water heater) with anti-freeze. It takes about 1.5 gallons. Antifreeze is $2.58/gal. at Walmart.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 09-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #67

I use the portal one that use to pump up your tires. I have two compressors.I am scare that I will blow out a line It takes a while but i am not going any where till spring
Old 09-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #68

I blow out my lines and use antifreeze with the -40 temps possible here in the winter.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #69
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I quit adding anti-freeze to my water system when I started camping through the winter. A good blow down with air, opening all valves one at a time and "flushing" the toilet has done a great job with no freezing pipes or broken fittings/valves.

Takes a while but I can do other things while air is blowing through the lines.

Air blow down cuts down on the amount of time necessary to "de-winterize" when I decide to take a trip in Dec, Jan, or Feb.

Of course the design of my TT makes this fairly easy. All the lines are either flat or sloped to the low point drains and inside heated space. I'm sure that some setups have various trap points and could be more difficult to blow the water out. But then again how are they different than sprinkler systems that are blown dry before winter freezes. Let the air blow long enough and even residual water is literally evaporated.

Antifreeze is certainly a quick way to make sure the lines don't freeze but any time saved on the front end is spent on the back end. Flushing the antifreeze out of the water lines can take a long time.
Only if you fill your filter housing or water heater or heavens forbid, fresh water tank with antifreeze.

With bypass valves on the WH there is no reason to put antifreeze in it. Water filter canisters can be bypassed with a bypass plate or an empty water bottle stuck inside. Putting AF in the FW tank is wasteful and will take a long time and lots of water to flush the AF out.

When I de-winterize it takes no time other than to connect the water hose and run the water through the faucets till the pink stuff is gone, all of 10 minutes max.

As said earlier in this post, propylene glycol has been deemed safe for consumption, thought it may not be pleasant to drink straight, it has been used as a food additive for years.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 09-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #70
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Oil free.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #71

Their are two types of RV anitfreeze one is propylene glycol the other is alcohol based. Around here you see mostly the alcohol based at about $2.60 a gallon.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 09-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #72
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Their are two types of RV anitfreeze one is propylene glycol the other is alcohol based. Around here you see mostly the alcohol based at about $2.60 a gallon.
We have a choice of propylene glycol or alcohol/propylene glycol mix here in Wisconsin.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 09-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Definitely some good points..
However, I am not sure adding anti freeze to the pipes will make them any warmer if temperature is the deteriorating factor as mentioned.
Adding antifreeze doesn't make the pipes warmer--the antifreeze has a much lower freezing point than water (which actually expands as it freezes). I think the "pink stuff" doesn't turn solid until minus 50 Fahrenheit.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #74
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfossilman View Post
Adding antifreeze doesn't make the pipes warmer--the antifreeze has a much lower freezing point than water (which actually expands as it freezes). I think the "pink stuff" doesn't turn solid until minus 50 Fahrenheit.
or - 45.56 C or , for those who care, 227.59 Kelvin
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Oxcamper, any chance you were my physics prof at Penn State? 😂. Thanks for the added precision!
Old 09-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #76
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Mixing anti-freeze and water actually lowers the freezing point of the solution! I saw it somewhere in the past few weeks as low a -64F.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #77

My oil-lube air compressor puts out a small amount of oil in the air flow. I don't want that in my water lines. I got an oil-free model and now use that, and also the pink stuff.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #78

Winterizing

I have been winterizing for about 3 years and this is what I do.

First: Flush and drain everything including water heater isolation

Second: Use low pressure air to blow everything dry

Third: Use water pump to fill water lines with anti freeze

The question I have. Why use anti freeze, except P-traps, when the lines are dry?

I'm not going to stop this because it works, just seems redundant.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:07 AM   #79

I like the shop vac idea. Next year I will try that. Since I live in northern Indiana and I have seen winter temperatures in the -30 for a week ''arctic vortex'' I'm planning to keep blowing dry and adding the pink stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Murphy is always right
Old 09-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #80

Quote:
Yes
Closed Thread

Tags
plumbing, winter, winterizing